main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke's hand

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MyDarkstar, Jan 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    the Dark Side got into it and it turned bad, so he had to lop it off at the wrist.

2. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Groovy.

In Episode VIII he replaces the hand with a chainsaw lightsaber.

3. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014

[​IMG]

4. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Luke Skywalker is secretly a Terminator in disguise... Because he has the exact same robotic arm seen in T2!
    [​IMG]

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

nightangel likes this.
  5. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Yes yes exactly lmao!

6. Worker11811

Worker11811 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    It looks different than what we saw in ROTJ, I assumed he got it replaced with a better model that didn't have fake skin.

7. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    How an you say that we've only seen the linkage in the wrist area as in ESB and the tendon Pistons in ROTJ.
    In TFA we see it all together we had no idea what the phalanges looked like

8. Worker11811

Jan 6, 2016

Didn't look the same to me. We see his damaged back of the hand, and it has a specific design to it. Luke's hand in TFA had a whole different production design, a newer model. Besides, that old one was damaged, why not upgrade the prosthetic?

9. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Possible I guess not a big deal in my mind I'd chalk it up to the difference between 80s special effects and teens special effects though

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I think almost every character has something different about them to give the missing 30 years a fair bit of mystery...

11. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I mean, Luke is already the most mysterious man in the movie. All we have is a bunch of unanswered questions when it comes to him. Why would he need something else different?
    But in the end I figure they will come up with some lame story about how Luke no longer felt worthy of the flesh hand after it was dusted in ROTJ and likely finished off when he was fighting his student that went dark. After that he just left it like that so that he could suffer with the memories of the past. I have him pegged as the angst character that is supposed to render even the most hardened science fiction fan to putty. But I think they will fail because unless he has a really, really good reason for hanging in the mountains for numerous years, most people won't forgive him.
    Those are me thoughts on the hand and Luke in general.

12. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Or.... as he got older and the synthetic flesh with a huge blast hole in it started to degrade, Luke, being wiser and more spiritual, no longer possessed the vanity to care about the aesthetics of hiding a robot hand.

Nah. That theory doesn't reinforce the panic/anger/doomsaying about the ST that's all the rage right now. Best to disregard it.

13. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I guess once Luke found out that the love of his life was his .. sister, he just stopped caring about appearances, including his hand.

Seriously though, here are a few hypotheses (you can pick, choose or make up your own as you please):
    • The skin broke and 21-B was too busy to fix it
    • The skin broke and they ran out of bacta
    • He got tired of continuously replacing the synthetic skin
    • He came to terms with his own mechanisation as he became more attuned with the force and kept the robotic hand as a reminder of his papa and of his own potential down the dark and slippery path to the dark side. (this is my head-canon)

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Confirmed!
    [​IMG]

Heroic BB-8 likes this.
  15. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    This is actually quite interesting. If we presume the hand-on-R2's-dome scene was at or immediately after the attack at Luke's school (Pablo Hidalgo says not to call it an Academy), and that took place at least within the last six to ten years before TFA (again nothing definitive there) and if the loss of the synthetic covering on his hand was due to damage, why did he not get it fixed before he took off for Ach-To? He obviously still has the mechanisms exposed in the final scene. It seems to be a choice, or he left immediately and has not been near any facility that could repair it.

16. Worker11811

Jan 6, 2016
    The answer that no one wants to hear: Exigencies of circumstance.

Special effects/budgeting

Back in 1983, a non-human hand would have been too costly and not very good looking, just that one shot of Luke putting on the glove in the cockpit of his x-wing to hide the exposed mechanism cost as much as the shot itself...

Now, replacing a real hand with a mechanical-looking special effect is much less expensive and looks much better than in 1983.

But I like this idea, too...

17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Possibly a reminder of who he is, and his own history.

18. Metal Lord

Metal Lord Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2016
    I especially like your 4th (last) idea, it feels like Star Wars. :)

Worker11811 likes this.
  19. BB_Gr8

BB_Gr8 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    How about this... When destroying the Jedi academy, Kylo Ren set fire to the area where the small children slept. Luke was able to rescue Rey but none of the other children, and the fire burned the synthetic skin off his robotic hand. Kylo Ren was left to believe none of the children survived...

Thomas Jay likes this.
  20. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Just an upgrade to a battle-spec hand. His other mechanical hand was a quick job done inside a rebel ship.

Also, he took a hit to his hand in RotJ, and the Emperor lightning should have done some severe damage to the old hand.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Worker11811 like this.
  21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  22. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Yup, happens on Jabba's sail barge

23. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Feb 7, 2016
    But he still does the glove thing thereafter.He did not get a lifelike replacement covering when he also needed the mechanism fixed after the sail barge, that seems clear. Afterward (post ROTJ) why ditch the black glove? The decision to not glove it at least, seems to be some conscious choice. Or the film makers in VII thought it would be cooler since- they could do it. Either some psychological motive we may or may not be privy to, or just a little more zing to the shots.

24. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    They needed to show Luke in the flashback without showing him. So a robotic hand to show that it is Luke. A hand with a glove or a new robotic hand with complete fake skin would not have confirmed that it is Luke next to R2. Just filmmakers storytelling tricks. o_O

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  25. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Feb 7, 2016

Yes, this. That actually is what I believe but it is always nice to construct mysteries time to time for the sake of mental gymnastics. Being able to show his mechanical hand in the teaser while only showing the back of his cowl with the fire-sparks background was a great teaser shot. Then keeping the hand ungloved in the final reveal was the tie in. But it is fun to play with it anyway even though there probably is no significance whatsoever.

nightangel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.