main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke's Jedi Master Status

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by craigrr, Nov 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    I'm in the planning stages for a vingette of when Luke officially becomes a Jedi Master. All I know is that it happens between the Heir to the Empire series and the Jedi Academy series. Has the subject been covered in the comics or anything? I don't remember seeing it covered in any novel. I just remember Luke was a Jedi in The Last Command and a Jedi Master in the first JA book.

2. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    i've always thought that since he was starting an academy, people begin to call him "Master" as a sign of respect...i haven't heard of any specific ceremony or anything.

3. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    I wouldn't think there'd be anything like a formal ceremony; just the other Jedi Masters or senior Jedi Master bestowing the title upon the intended. With Luke being the first in 50 years or so, who would've named him a Jedi Master? I know it couldn't have been Ben since Ben said at the beginning of HttE he wouldn't be able to appear to Luke any more. Maybe Yoda or Anakin? Did he have a vision? I seriously need to do more research.

4. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Luke had nothing, when he decided to take on apprentices, he became Master. That's it. :)

5. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    luney's right. and when she's right, she's right. and her--she's always right.(i couldn't resist spaceballs) :D

6. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    Oh man, a Spaceballs reference. "So, Lord Helmet, at last we meet again for the first time for the last time". I haven't seen that one in years. Anyhoo, I suppose the vignette will center on Luke's thoughts about starting the Academy and what it'll mean for the galaxy & himself. I would imagine it would've been an emotional situation to say the least.

7. Sreya

Sreya Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2000
    Unfortunately, I don't have the book with me right now, but this was briefly touched upon in Jedi Search by KJA, and I have a fairly clear memory of it.

In the scene when Luke is waiting to address the Senate for their endorsement of a Jedi Academy, he is reflecting on the past few years. At some point, he thinks about his title of Jedi Master. It seems this was not bestowed in any sort of ceremony, or that he himself decided to be a Jedi Master, but that people just began calling him a Jedi Master, until it didn't make sense to contradict them anymore.

It's not really much to go on for a story, but remember that this is fanfiction, and you have room to play if you prefer to come up with your own explanation.
    Sreya

8. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    I remember the scene, albeit vaguely. I'll have the book at home. I'll have to drag it out & re-read some parts. That's one thing I wanted to address in the story, too. Luke becoming a Jedi Master not out of desire, but, out of necessity. I think that'd be true for most Jedi. The rank of Jedi Master(for lack of a better term) isn't something you set out to attain. Instead, it's given, or rather offered, to you if you display the ability and skill. That probably doesn't make much sense worded that way, I know. I guess in simplest terms, a Jedi is offered the mantel of Jedi Master and it is their's to accept or decline.

9. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Luke declared himself a Jedi Master sometime after The Last Command and before Dark Empire. He declared himself a Jedi Master, because there were no other Jedi around.

Perhaps he was the first person ever to have had the full support of the Order when he proclaimed himself a Jedi Master ;)

10. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
  11. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    *lol*

To be somewhat exact (I'm relying on a near-photographic memory because I loaned VotF to a friend), Mara berates Luke in VotF for declaring himself a Jedi Master after less than ten years on the job. So, he woke up one day and decided to call himself a Jedi Master. ;)

12. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    Thanks for the input everyone! I figured it would come down to Luke declaring himself Jedi Master. It's not like the Senate would be able to decide who could and couldn't become one. I think the story will be mainly an internal monologue type story. Almost like a soliloquiy (sp?) from Hamlet. Just knowing Luke's demeanor, I don't think it'd be something he'd take lightly. At least I have a pretty good starting point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.