main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke's lightsaber flies toward Rey

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LadyPadme, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    When Ren and Rey battle each other, he clearly appears to be summoning the lightsaber, but it whizzes past Ren and into Rey's hands. Is this because she's so much more powerful in the Force than he is, are lightsabers more like wands in the Harry Potter world, which choose their own master? I remember reading somewhere that the crystals used in the lightsabers had some special properties, but I didn't know what they were. Can those crystals 'recognize' the person wielding the lightsaber?

Dak Oolron and Darth Dementor like this.
  2. SegNerd

SegNerd Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2015
    I think the lightsaber is trying to "choose" Rey. I consider this to be the second time in the movie that the lightsaber sort of becomes a character in itself, after it caused Rey to experience some sort of vision/hallucination.

For me, the problem is that we've already seen pretty clearly how lightsabers work, and lightsabers were always a weapon, not a character. It might have been an interesting idea if it had been that way from the beginning, but IMO this is almost like if, in the middle of a battle, one of the X-Wings just exclaimed "Ow! You're steering me too hard!"

Dak Oolron and Chris_Fives like this.
  3. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    no she simply pulled it, Sabers are tools not alive.. sMH

4. LordTimCahill

LordTimCahill Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2015
    I don't get peoples problem with this and Rey's use of the force.

Didn't luke become a super powerful Jedi with just a week of training with Yoda? And didn't he force pull his lightsaber out of the snow with no training at all? (Obi Wan just informed him he had it and explained it a bit in ANH.)
    And Luke never completed his training under Yoda, he died when he returned and then he ****ing kicked Vader's ass in the end of the movie with just a week of training in total.

5. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    The force has always been a bit opinionated, Lots of talk of the 'will of the force' like its a motivator of destiny. Hence I don't find it that strange that the Force is calling Rey through the lightsaber. Or drawing the two together.

6. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013
    Let's not forget wasn't the lightsaber also the one Anakin had when he descended to the darkside and slaughtered the Jedi younglings. So, if that's the case I'd disregard all talk of the lightsaber having a will.

7. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think it showed that Rey was more naturally attuned than Ren (jeez, I haven't gotten use to typing these names). He was really trying to concentrate to pull it to him, just like when he was trying to get into her head, but all she had to do was think "I want that" and there it was. She probably grew up knowing she had that kind of power (slightly indicated in her mind trick with the stormtrooper) but didn't realize it was a Jedi power. Now, thanks to Han's assurance and maybe the experience with touching the lightsaber, she was more certain.

8. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    I don't know if it's because Rey is "Stronger". Keep in mind Kylo's probably in a lot of pain at that moment and bleeding out. That would make it kinda hard to focus I would think.

9. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    I saw this moment as "Arthur is the only one able to pull the sword from the stone".
    The lightsaber was burried deep in the snow and Kylo did not manage to take it. Instead, it was Rey who ended up using it. She was chosen.

10. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Isnt Star wars influenced by "King Arthur" and all that? I remember hearing mark mention it a couple of times including excalibur. I truly believe it came to her, i mean it was whispering to her at Maz' castle.

11. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    He was practicing this on a noodle :p ('Heir to the Jedi').

More interesting is how Rey knows how to use Jedi mind trick? Has she heard about this from Bobbajo on Jakku? Some stories about Jedi etc?

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  12. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I've never seen Harry Potter, but I'm positive that they were both "force pulling" it and Rey was just stronger. Or at least more determined, and obviously won. However "objects" can be "imprinted" with the force. Holocrons and such. The reason Rey had the vision was because this saber had been in the possession of Anakin and Luke and Obi-Wan for certain periods of time. Basically think about it as the germs on a remote control in a hotel (that are never cleaned by the housekeepers).

Also a PT viewing could help. In AOTC Obi-Wan says to Anakin "this weapon is your life". Further in TCW, lightsaber building again is a very force based procedure. Almost like the crystal used in it's creation is called to you. So long story short, although the lightsaber isn't alive like a Harry Potter wand (I don't believe I just typed that) it does have a strong tie to it's force and it's subsequent users.

13. Qui_Za_Miokl

Qui_Za_Miokl Jedi Master

Nov 14, 2008

Luke was with Yoda for more than just a week.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  14. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    I agree: it was about 25 minutes of screen time, but at the same time Luke was training with Yoda, Han and Leia were flying to Bespin. Flying to another star system at sublight should have taken weeks, if not months. Luke trained for a while. Also, even before he met Yoda, he already had some rudimentary training with Obi-Wan, so at least he knew he had the Force and could practice a little. Rey has had no training we know of in using the Force.

15. Darth_Oracle

Darth_Oracle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    To me, Luke/Anakin's lightsaber flying into Rey's hand was just telling us she's Luke's daughter. The direct reference to ESB is the key - the Lightsaber was even sticking out of the snow the same way for pete's sake lol.

Out of universe, from a simple story telling view, I feel it's a matter of not being restrained or confined to telling the story going forward. In the PT, we had to get to Anakin falling to the Darkside, and to one of my biggest complaints about the PT - the Jedi weren't allowed to "be" as powerful as they could have been given the constraints of what had to happen in the OT, and that they had to be massively wiped out by the end of ROTS. Well now there's a blank slate and I'm honestly glad. Seeing Kylo force paralyze and stop a blaster bolt mid air was pretty awesome! I hope they do more of this! I think it's much better to have Rey be that powerful WITHOUT the training from the start (remember "our" only reason for thinking she should be weaker is because Luke didn't show that much mastery at the same age, and even Anakin being 9 was strong with precognition but nothing to suggest he was into telekenisis; essentially constraints placed early in the saga story/filmakingwise, and the bar only raised slightly with the PT, with no clue how big SW was going to blow up when ANH came out, and then being limited in the PT? Just my take anyway...) to show some really fantastic Force/Jedi powers going forward in the series.

7starlight and Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren like this.
  16. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    In the EU isnt there a force power where you can tell info about objects from touching them?
    So i think Rey actually used the force at that point when she touches the LS. The lightsaber isnt anything but a tool.
    Luke himself probably found his LS and had it when the Rens attacked his school.

When Ren is trying to call it and failing he probably wasnt paying attention to Rey and though that because of his injuries he was failing rather than Rey messing with it.

titansupes likes this.
  17. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Here's another angle on the Rey power thing: Luke didn't have that hard a life on Tatooine. Sure he flew his T16 or whatever, but Rey had to constantly defend herself. Luke got curb stomped by the sandpeople. So she was probably tapping into the force all the time and didn't realize it. She trained herself in some ways is what I'm saying.

18. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I would like to think that one of the special properties of having a light saber is that your opponent can't simply fling you 15 feet into a tree. It provides some sort of protection against something like that.

19. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Didn't work for poor Anakin against Dooku.

20. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    This is how I saw it as well.

21. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    And ESB takes place years after ANH.
    So comparing Luke to Rey as being similar is completely ignoring the amount of time Luke had to grow.

22. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Rey besting Kylo in the duel was fine, because Kylo had just killed his father, been shot with a bowcaster and injured from a strike by Finn. He was all over the place. But they really cheapened his force ability with this bit IMO. Unless Kylo has not yet been through an awakening and is currently at like half-force potential which is ok.

Ruffmeian likes this.
  23. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I believe lightsabers have an inherent connection in the force to their builders, as it takes the force to actually build one. Thus the force connection between Luke and his father made a connection between Luke and the lightsaber, and because Rey is Luke's daughter, that's why it called to her...the connection in the force was passed on to her from her father.

If it was built by someone random and unrelated, I think it would then just be pure strength on who could get it vs the other.

EHT likes this.
  24. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I do think Rey had to have some idea she had something special and touching Luke's lightsaber confirmed it. The Force is tricky though for sure and man I gotta say this, that lightsaber has seen a lot of wear and tear over the years lol. Either way I think the Force chose Rey at that moment or chose to show how well she always knew she could wield it.

25. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Rey knew nothing of Force retrieval, so she just thought of the lightsaber and wishing she could get to it without Kylo getting to it, and suddenly the Force was used to draw it to her. After all this, she'll want to be trained to be better at it and figure out just what all this means.
    I just can't easily assume that Rey is Luke's daughter. Not that Star Wars doesn't "copy" itself, but it seems like a plot revelation that would be another copy of this one. We found out Han and Leia had a kid, which could be expected, and then whoa, we'll find out Luke had one with someone out there. Surely there has to be more than everyone having kids, and I would like to think that part about Luke that Lucas preferred will remain.

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.