main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke's lightsaber flies toward Rey

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LadyPadme, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pluvial

Pluvial Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    If it is the canonical explanation, I will accept it. However, it is rather strange. The more straightforward outcome would simply be Ren pulls the blade to him because he is established as far stronger in telekinesis.

2. Obi Whan Kenobi

Obi Whan Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    Its not that, its the MADE UP MUMBO JIMBO STUFF FROM DISNEY. AOTC Obi Wan is injured by Dooku. Obi Wan summons a lightsaber given to him by a Jedi stranger. Why did he struggle calling it? Because he was injured with Dooku standing over him about to deliver the final blow. That took some calm concentration.

I loved the fight between Kylo and Finn it was intense and raw. What I DID NOT LIKE was Kylo not being able to pull the saber from the snow and Rey could. I call that BS!!!!! Is this Excalibur now? Are we in a Marvel movie where nobody can lift Thor's Hammer? It was completely dumb on JJ's part.

After defeating Finn, Kylo should have been like a Sith and shown complete arrogance and trash talked in chilling fashion. He should have told her the only way to save herself and to save Finn's life life back into a ST unit reconditioned was to join the dark side. Rey keeping her composure at that point uses the force to summon Anakin's saber. Like Maul's arrogance he totally forgot in his arrogance Qui Gon's saber was laying mere feet away, Kylo simply lost concentration and forgot it was there in his anger.

It was COMPLETELY DUMB for a strong force user like Kylo Ren who can stop blaster bolts mid air not to be able to summon a lightsaber 30 yards away. The only thing I can think of is they were both calling for it cancelling each other out but Rey eventually won which means she's stronger in the force than he is but that makes no sense either at that point. And I totally understand you want to stay away from this. Because you'd never have a lightsaber fight if Jedi and Sith were constantly snatching each others lightsabers from each other. This is the kind of mumbo jumbo Pandora's box I feared Disney would start opening. Turning things upside down in the first 6 films.

The only thing I wish they would change is the Sith Rule of 2. But messing with the force like this, was a little silly. I wish someone can explain it to me if Im wrong.

3. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    The Sword in the Stone...Disney sort of thing? :p

MJ

4. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    Rey is in a sense Anakin's heir (as his son's daughter) and has more latent force ability than Ren. Yeah, Ren may have been injured but he was trained by Luke and Snoke after him. He is pretty powerful. But when Rey lets the force in, her abilities are unleashed; she may be even more powerful than Luke if her mother was also force attuned and on par with Anakin, as Anakin had the ability to use the force without really knowing what he was doing. Her fighting style was also very similar to Anakin's and honestly, if the ground didn't split, I think she would have killed Ren. When Rey tries to hand off the lightsaber to Luke it's almost as if she's trying to hand off this "burden", because she doesn't really want any part of it, she just wants her family. Thing is, Luke is her family and her legacy as a Skywalker is that of the force.

It's possible her mind was wiped, but I actually think that her memories from the Temple were so traumatic that she literally repressed everything; after all, she was so young.

5. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Also would like to point out that ut is meant to reflect this scene:

[​IMG]

6. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015
    Oh come on. Does this really need investigation?

The good side beat the bad side in that moment. /end

7. Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 31, 2015

LOL people sometimes forget we're in the Star Wars Universe, let's open a thread and discuss how Han Solo was able to find Luke in the Hoth planet in the middle on nowhere

Qui_Za_Miokl likes this.
  8. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015

And then another thread about how Finn & Poe's TIE fighter happens to crash on the same part of the planet as Nima outpost.

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren likes this.
  9. apone1024

apone1024 Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    I think the saber-pulling is open to interpretation, but I certainly don't see any problem with it. I tend to go with the more straightforward explanation - Kylo was in bad shape at that point, he tried once to pull the saber, couldn't do it, Rey saw (or felt) what he was doing and instinctively fought for it. No need to resort to any other Force consciousness or assign any agency to the saber itself - but if that's your interpretation, no problem.

Most of the complaints about Rey's abilities seem to ignore the fact that in each case she's full of adrenaline and following her instincts:

- learning to fly the Falcon ("How did you do that?" "I don't know!")
    - defending herself from Kylo's mind probe (followed up by consciously trying it out herself)
    - pulling the saber when she sees Kylo going for it

I think there's plenty of room for both the "Jedis need training" crowd and the "she's a natural" crowd.

Kyra_Rey-Kylo_Ren likes this.
  10. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Luke picked up a little Jedi foresight after training for a few minutes with Ben Kenobi. But by the time of Empire, he had three years to figure out the Force for himself before ever meeting Yoda. Luke is mostly self-trained. Yoda expanded his mind and showed him his potential but Luke picked up a lot of the basics on his own. It still took time to move things around without struggling or to achieve mind manipulation. Rey does things that she simply shouldn't be able to do. Even if she knew about Mind Tricks, how would she know how to do one? After three years of training himself, Luke struggled to get his lightsaber out of the ice. Rey does it with relative ease.

It has to be repressed memories of previous training. If it's just a case that she happens discover this stuff without any prior, even unremembered, experience, then that is BS. But the movie suggests that there's a past for Rey that's yet to be explored so for now at least, let's give it the benefit of the doubt.

Chris_Fives and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  11. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Its kind of obvious whatever "power" she had was unlocked by kylo hence "I feel it to".

12. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    My feeling was that it was like a Excalibur sword in the stone moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. KendallJedi

KendallJedi Jedi Master

Jul 27, 2002
    One thing I noticed is that with his mask on Kyko is unstoppable - stops laser blasts in mid air, can read Poe's mind... Notice when he takes the mask off to interrogate Rey - she refutes him and even tells him he is afraid he won't be as strong as Vader. When battling Finn in the snow he should have wiped him out but actually takes some blows before defeating him. Then he tries to summon the lightsaber only to have it go to Rey, and loses to Rey whom has never used a lightsaber. Be interesting to see the importance of the mask to Kylo. Does it "mask" his insecurities and weaknesses so he uses it to cover that up? If he is really trying to mimic Vader why not make a replica? Vader needed the mask to stay alive. What does Kylo need it for?

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  14. Godzilla2099

Godzilla2099 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2015
    The lightsaber isn't the Sword of Omens. Rey pulled it.

After hours of hearing the story about the force, she's able to beat Kylo Ren in a Telepathic Fight and mind control the James Bond Storm Trooper. Pulling the Saber would be cake walk for her after that.

It looks like Anakin's Saber is the 'family heirloom' Passed from one generation to another.

15. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013

Yeah I agree with this. I think they both grabbed for it at the same time. Rey is just stronger with force. Kylo seems to have more trouble using certain aspects of the Force. Though he has the Force Freeze down. That laser frozen in time is just one of the best effect in the whole movie.

16. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    At the beginning of TFA novel there is that prophecy that is from The Journal of the Whills.
    That is Rey. She is another Chosen One. That scene in the movie where the KOR were standing in the rain surrounded by all the dead bodies was not at Luke's Jedi Academy, but probably the Planet Rey was born.

If I had to make a wild guess, Snoke, Luke and Kylo know of this prophecy.

17. syriuss

syriuss Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    I think is more simply...:)

LUKE: I don't...I don't believe it.

YODA: That is why you fail.

kylo can't believe this girl is challenging him, and beating him, so he doubt, he doesn't look very stable about managing his emotions, and with his doubts he fails. Rey instead is focuses in the saberlight, she needs save finn...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.