main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke's Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth-Jett, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Jett

Darth-Jett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    Okay so we all know that the lightsaber that Obi-Wan gives to Luke belonged to Anakin Skywalker. This is the lightsaber he uses in ANH and ESB.

But, I noticed a little something, it may be obvious to others, but this struck me out of nowhere. Luke's lightsaber in ROTJ, despite the color of the hilt and blade, it almost identical to the lightsaber Obi-Wan duels Vader with.

Was this intentional? Has anyone else noticed?

Thanks for the Help.

2. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    Yes it was intentional, because he looked in Ben's old books and found one on lightsaber construction and it was the one that he used in ANH.

3. Jedimancer

Jedimancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2004
    And, also, I think it said in the Episode I Visual Dictionary that Jedi often make their lightsabers similar to their former/current master's out of respect.

4. Darth-Jett

Darth-Jett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    ^^That explains why Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon has similar Sabers.

5. Ceethreepio

Mar 4, 2003
    no it doesn't they look nothing alike. But it would explain Anakin's, if you look at it and then look at Yoda's you would see a simularites.

6. Gothic_Yoda

Gothic_Yoda Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2003
    Obi-Wan and Qui Gon's episode 1&2 blades are alike in both style and colour, so i don't know what you're on about.

His episode 3 sabre will look like a cleaned up version of his ANH one.

GY

7. jMo_Skywalker

jMo_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    When making RotJ, they used a prototype they had made for Ben's in ANH for Luke's, so that would be the RL version of why the look the same...

8. Ceethreepio

Mar 4, 2003
    GY look in the visual dictionaries no they don't. By the way what happen to QGJ's lightsaber? Did Ben save it in the truck along with Anakin's?

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Yes, they do. They don't have the same design in shape, but the colors are the same and they both have that black grip section. They look much more alike to eachother than to the other lightsabers that we see.

10. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    By the way what happen to QGJ's lightsaber?

It was burned in the fire with Qui-Gon.

11. Ceethreepio

Mar 4, 2003
    sorry but they look nothing alike in the handle/grip
    [http://www.starwars-tw.com/replica/saber/quigonsaber.jpg]

[http://www.starwars-tw.com/replica/saber/yobiwansaber.jpg]

see I don't think so.

Is that true that they burned it?

12. Gregatron

Gregatron Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    There are two possibilites:

1. When ROTJ was being made, it was decided Luke's new saber should look like Obi-Wan's, and this would the use of leftover Obi-Wan ANH stunt saber props.

2. When ROTJ was being made, it was decided that since there were leftover Obi-Wan stunt saber props, Luke's new saber would resemble Obi-Wan's (so a new saber design wouldn't be needed).

The idea of an apprentice's saber resembling the master's was invented by David West Reynolds as a direct result of this.

13. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Yes it was intentional, because he looked in Ben's old books and found one on lightsaber construction and it was the one that he used in ANH.

Also, I read in a Star Wars Insider that it was the same prop but they fooled around with it a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.