main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke's Mother.....

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jedi_luc, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_luc

jedi_luc Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2000
    I can't remember which books talked of Luke's search for his mother. What was the final outcome? I thought he even got a name.

But it's been eons since I read it and for the life of me I can't remember. A little help please thanks.

2. LUCREZIA

LUCREZIA Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2001
    Before the Storm
    Shield of Lies
    Tyrants Test

Nashira something or other i think, cant really remember

3. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    Man, I hated the BFC. That Akanah or whatever her name was just screwed Luke over. He was so taken in. The Lando part of the story was pretty lame too. Basically, those books were horrible. I wish I could forget them, but people keep bringing them up...

4. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Man, I had completely forgotten that I'd even read BFC until like two weeks ago. Weird, wild stuff. That whole little thing with Threepio beginning to question life, the universe, and everything got a little funky...

The Luke looking for his mother thing was odd, too. He was taken in so easily...and Leia's reaction to the whole thing was kind of off the wall, too. Suffice it to say, to this day Luke knows nothing about his mother.

5. jedi_luc

Nov 17, 2000
    Hmmm...Yeah, you know I remember it being not that great. It obviously wasn't because it didn't stick with me. Because I would think Luke's mother would be something you'd remember because it's important.

Now it would be wild if that far back they had had Padme Naberrie or something.

6. RogueJaina

Jul 6, 2001
    Yes, it would have been cool if he'd actually found out who his mother was. Maybe after the Vong leave he'll have time to look into it again, if the last experience didn't totally spoil it for him.

By the way, I love your sig, jedi_luc!

7. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    The Lando sub-story was the best part of the trilogy. Really gave Lando the spotlight as something other than a guy who owns mines.

I think Luke & Leia were so out of character because Akanah was manipulating them through the Current thing.

And Padme has NO connection to her.

wk

8. AthyraFire

AthyraFire Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2001
    yeah i remember plowing thru those books b/c they were the first star wars novels i'd read. then i found the good novels. :D

anyway i was very disappointed with the ending. i thought sure Luke was gonna find his mom. but that Akanah chick totally used him. and i felt that Leia was being a stubborn, uncaring b****.

the characterizations seemed way off, too. i dunno. just my opinion.

ps: i really hope Luke and Leia find out about their mother. i think it would be neat to have a whole story centered around that and going to Naboo to see where she lived.

also, what planet was Shmi Skywalker from originally? she was sold to Gardulla the Hutt, correct? sold from where? was she born on Tatooine or was she... sorry to talk about her like property (but she *was* a slave!) imported from another planet? just curious. it'd be kinda cool for Luke to trace his roots even further back than just Anakin.

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Jedistryker...
    "Suffice it to say, to this day Luke knows nothing about his mother."

I don't know we can make that claim anymore for two important reasons.

1. The Essential Chronology. This book was a chronology on several different levels. Yes, it was produced for the benefit of the Star Wars fan. However, technically, it was also written "in-universe" as a reference guide of all the information the New Republic knows about the Star Wars history. Therefore, all information within the EC is also available to characters within the GFFA. Presumably Luke has access to the files.

2. Zahn Trilogy Comic Adaptation. I believe it was the one for The Last Command which contained the first picture of Queen Amidala. That is, certainly artifacts of Luke's mother existed up through the Thrawn Trilogy. It is entirely reasonable to assume other information may have been available as well.

10. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Genghis is right. Luke and Leia must know about Padme, the Battle of Naboo, Darth Sidious and Maul's role in the events of - 32 BSW4. At least by around 21 ASW6, when the EC was released just prior to the Vong invasion.

11. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

There is also no reason to assume that Obi-Wan wouldn't have told him who his mother was. Compared to dear 'old dad, 'Your mother was a senator from the Naboo system' seems positively tame.

12. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Yeah, but then Luke would have tried to find out more a long time ago.

Something must have been discovered just before the New Republic Essential Chronology was released.

You know what's interesting? Not only is R2-D2 in most of the important events in TPM ( including the first meeting between Anakin and Obi-Wan ), but he's in a lot of important spots in AotC, too. As you can see in the Forbidden Love trailer, Artoo is with Padme and Anakin during a lot of moments.

I have a theory that someone programmed Artoo to only give this deepest information if they provide the correct password. Just like Whistler holding the info on Corran's father and his heritage with the Jedi Knights...Artoo could be doing the same thing. The password could even be the name that Luke has been searching for for years - "Padme".

13. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    That would be cool. But I think luke should go on not knowing (if, contrary to Genghis' post, he is not privvy to such information). that would complete the circle- he knows who his father is, he knows who his sister is, he's married, and now that? I'd like to leave something open ended... from his point of view. don't know why. I guess I'm just a bastard.

14. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000
    You know what's interesting? Not only is R2-D2 in most of the important events in TPM ( including the first meeting between Anakin and Obi-Wan ), but he's in a lot of important spots in AotC, too. As you can see in the Forbidden Love trailer, Artoo is with Padme and Anakin during a lot of moments.

I have a theory that someone programmed Artoo to only give this deepest information if they provide the correct password. Just like Whistler holding the info on Corran's father and his heritage with the Jedi Knights...Artoo could be doing the same thing. The password could even be the name that Luke has been searching for for years - "Padme".

Sturm, I'm betting it's far simpler than that. Between Attack of the Clones and by the end of Episode III, R2 and 3PO will both suffer memory wipes, possibly done by Obi-Wan, to prevent just that event before it is too soon.

15. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Sturm,
    You're partly right. It's not R2-D2, it's C3-PO. And in ROTJ, some random Ewok said the Ewok word for "pass the brew" - padda me and he ended up going into this long-winded story of the entire saga. However, whenever the camera cut to him, he happened to be talking about events seen in the OT. :D

However, you may be on to something. As is the point about the memory wipe, which is the belief which I keep coming back to.

16. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I don't believe in the memory wipe theory, because it ruins the whole idea of the movies being "through the eyes" of the 'droids, as Lucas puts it. Also, we have some EU sources that discount it. Someone said they never had a memory wipe ( Lucas? Sansweet? ) and then the C-3PO CCG card says, almost nebulously, "Never had a memory wipe...that he knows of".

I have a theory that in AotC, one or both of the droids get a *partial* memory wipe. One that erases all references to Tatooine and Anakin's early life there. After what happens in the movie, I think that Anakin becomes disgusted with his homeworld and decides to remove all information on it from their memory banks. I figure that he wouldn't do a complete wipe, because he still considers them friends ( like Luke ) and doesnt want them to start over with their personalities.

After all, while Lucas said this issue was small ( why the droids don't remember Tatooine ), he did say in 1999 that it would be explained.

One more thing...Luke doesn't have to know that Padme is his mother, from the EC info. All it basically says is that Qui-Gon helped Queen Amidala liberate her planet, and while doing that, discovered Anakin on Tatooine. In fact, it doesn't even mention her real name of "Padme" in the EC. This isn't too big of a spoiler, but in AotC, she drops the Amidala and is just Senator Padme Naberrie.

17. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

I don't believe in the memory wipe theory, because it ruins the whole idea of the movies being "through the eyes" of the 'droids, as Lucas puts it. Also, we have some EU sources that discount it. Someone said they never had a memory wipe ( Lucas? Sansweet? ) and then the C-3PO CCG card says, almost nebulously, "Never had a memory wipe...that he knows of".

No, it doesn't ruin anything. The droids can still be a witness to events, and anyway the whole concept is entirely arbitrary from a witness standpoint, since the droids don't see everything that has happened, so wiping their memories won't make a difference in the 'through the eyes of the droids'.

18. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I still doubt that a full wipe will happen. That's just too convienient.

19. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Well, actually there's an even simpler fix that both droids are fond of taking advantage of all throughout the movies...

They get the crap blown out of themselves. [face_plain]

Seriously. Artoo needs to get the hell blown out of him in at least one prequel sequence and C3-PO needs to undergo some serious butt-whupping to stay consistent.

That's got to take its toll on things sometime.

20. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    The biggest problem with Luke searching for his mother was that he already knew she was dead. He should have been searching for who she was, not for her. Leia actually remembers her mother dieing, not being told she died.

21. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    It probably won't be until 2005, unfortunately, that anything is revealed.

I wish he knew something, but if they say what happens sooner, it'll spoil EPIII......

22. RogueJaina

Jul 6, 2001
    And we wouldn't want to do that, now, would we? [face_devil]

23. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Leia Says her mother died when she was young. She didn't say she saw her die. She just may have been told that by Bail after Padme left. Still It is more likely that she died. She would not have stayed away that long. Man Ep3 is going to be a bummer.

24. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    What I don't understand yet(a movie could explain it)is how Leia was part of the Rebellion and must know of the history of how it started and why.

Somewhere in learning history she must of heard her mothers and fathers name(skywalker??), but did not know or understand the connection. A connection that was still not made after she heard Luke's name.

But after everything in ROTJ some bright light must have hit her head and she would know of her mothers name.?

If anyone has a thought on this I'd be happy to read it..Thanks :)

25. jedi_luc

Nov 17, 2000
    The question is what did Leia know or not know? I smell a contradiction somewhere but I can't place my finger on it.

Does it mean if she remembered her mother dieing that she may have been there? Does that mean there could be a little leia in EP 3? Possible maybe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.