main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke's NJO "Emerald Lightning" ability

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by jedi_prime, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_prime

jedi_prime Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2005
    Does anyone have any official or semi-official stats for the green sparks ability that Luke used in TUF?

It seems (from the book, at least) to be even more potent than Force Lightning...

2. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    nope, but i for one would like to know who gave the go ahead to use force lightning that's a different colour, as it's a pretty important loose end that hasn't been tied up.

3. MIDKNIGHT03

MIDKNIGHT03 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2005
    What's the problem? So long as you can accept the new direction of the Jedi since TUF, a new color for Force lightening should be no problem. I doubt to see much more of it anyway since Luke is starting to try to reign in some of the not so light side actions that is now becoming common place.

I doubt we'll see it's impact on the rpg

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It's still Force Lightning, despite their rationale... ;)

5. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    dp4m is right. Color or rationale doesen't make a difference.

Darth Maul's Force Lightning was red, for instance.

6. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    aye... it's like plo koon's 'bolt of judgement' bolt of judgement palpatines ass, it was force lightning, he used the dark side of the force, up until it's cleared up, thats what it is, force lightning, which by ALL RPG knowledge, and EU knowledge, is a dark side only power as it draws on negative emotions and most critically is a corruption of the Force

the fact that a lot of people in other forums argue that a certain force user has received sith training because they use force lightning must go someway towards pushing the point home that it's a dark side ability

7. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    IIRC, followers of the 'potentium' and vergere's apprentices get to use all those fun powers...

Here's a link to Vergere's stats. She doens't get DSP's or penalties for using either side.

8. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    aye Berkley... I think they're screwed, lol (though i know its canon). It's something that seems to have been put in to then be expanded upon in a later sourcebook which... never arrived.

I imagine they looked at sales for the NJO sourcebook before deciding to axe a complete NJO sourcebook covering the whole era. But because it was OCR and perhaps for that reason didn't sell, thought perhaps an updated one wouldn't work at all.

i can't believe what they've done to this game.

9. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Yeah, it's unfortunate, but there's no reason we can't come up with errata for it to compensate.

You'd think they'd at least come out with one more sourcebook to cover all the new stuff from Episode 3 and everything else that's happened in recent expanded universe material. :(

10. Master_Uxi

Master_Uxi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2005
    The original sold well because it sucked. The most important thing I wanted when I leafed through it was illustration of which there was scant... and what WAS there was minimal at best. I'd like pictures of all these weird Vong things I've been reading about... as well as pictures of some of the characters (the "Who's Who" bit was probably the best at this yet), starships, etc. Their galaxy map sucked as well, compared to what was available on the inside NJO covers much less anything more detailed.

Secondly, it wasn't organized so well, either. It's been awhile, but I seem to recall having a hard time finding a good events/timeline summary as well as equipment (XJ X-Wing could sure use an official illustration as one specific example).

Being D20 doesn't help as I'm commited to my modified D6 mechanics... but if they could get a good illustrator and and a better editor to subsume the entire NJO arc in there, I'd be willing to pay 50 bucks or so for something on the level of Coruscant and the Core Worlds, etc (IOW, Light on Mechanics, heavy on illustration and summary).

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  12. DarthReven

DarthReven Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    Hmm,i wonder if a "Mandalorian Sourcebook" would sell. It would have to be smaller, like the Arms and equipment guide. It could have stats on Mandalorian gear, like their armor,wepons tec. It could have a compleate history of them, with stats for Canderous Ordo, Jaster Mereel and more. Couple in some new Data on the clans, and it is a done deal. I would have Karen Traviss help on the project. Of course, it would probably be cheaper than normal, maybe 20-30 bucks at the most. Also, why do you guys spend 40 dollars for sourcebooks? I can get them online from Amazon.com for around 20$.

13. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    i would have thought that a sourcebook containing the smaller civilisations would have been well received, i don't always wanna mess with major continuity stuff... a sourcebook containing info on the mandos, chiss, hutts (dont have geo + outer rim worlds so not sure if they're already covered) in my mind would have been excellent.

14. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    This is what made WEG books like "Fragments from the Rim" so spiffy. The downside is that almost every book had the stats for X-Wings and the Millenium Falcon as filler.

15. tikaheta

tikaheta Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2004
    i am creating Emerald lightning for the game i'm running...

It knocked out up to 5 opponents for an undecided # of rounds, and may or may not do vitality damage...

i know that once it is done, it may be unbalancing, but i plan for it to have very difficult requirements...

16. Kosmic

Kosmic Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2005
    Perhaps Luke is able to use Force Lightning without gaining Dark Side points simply because he was unaware of the fact that it was specifically a Dark Side power. It was quite unlikely that he had his game books with him, and so had not the opportunity to look it up. Similarly, he would have been oblivious to the Dark Side nature of Force Choke when he casually used it against the Gamorrean guards in ROTJ. To him, it may not have been a Dark Side power, but simply that cool thing his father did from time to time.

17. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    ROFL

Anakin didn't think what he was doing was bad, did that make him all light and happiness?

there is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

one line of the jedi code, an extremely important one.

18. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
  19. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    That ruling makes d20 even more munchkinizable then it already was. I really like the combat system of d20, but rules like that don't even make it seem like Star Wars anymore. It's sad to see WOTC start to step down the same morally relative path that the NJO did. Its safe to say that my group won't be using that.

For while, WEG and WOTC both had serious flaws to me, and I was stuck in between one which one I liked the best. This makes WEG FAR superior in my mind.

[Vader]"Don't fail me again, WOTC."[/Vader] :p

EDIT: But just to clarify, I really appreciate the effort WOTC has made with the Jedi Council sessions despite the quirky new rule. They've been a tremendous aid for my group in the past.

20. Sev-07

Sev-07 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    *sigh*

Some of the recent rules in jedi counsiling are just absurd.

I can now see all the munchkins sitting behind their computer desk cheering.

these rules really do take the "Star Wars" out of this RpG.

....we aren't using them....[face_shame_on_you]

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Those rules are munch-tastic :eek: No way in **** will either be allowed in my campaign!

22. Sev-07

Sev-07 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    =D=

[face_flag] I salute you! [face_flag]

23. Jedi_Winter_Knight

Jedi_Winter_Knight Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2005
    Well i have been asking about a rule regarding the new "intent" issue... so they put one out... i got what i asked for... "y e a h Mmm kay" ...

To be objective, at least they have addressed the issue, and that is good to see vs. giving nothing at all or answering basic ?s only.

These saves are WAY to low imo if you did go with this rule...

24. Mace_Windolene

Mace_Windolene Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    I did notice however that the issue of published Darksiders' # of DSPs was deftly avoided...

25. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    lol yeah... i think they just come up with a number.

I love it also that Vergere is one DSP away from being classed as 'tainted', even before that new rule comes in, bet she's glad she came upon her revelation when she did eh. [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.