main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lukes saber in ROTJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WinduIsAwesome, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WinduIsAwesome

WinduIsAwesome Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2004
    ok, Vader says he constructed a new saber so his skills are now complete blah blah blah...why does it look so much like Obi-Wans in the ep 3 trailer??? did i miss something?

2. SecondBest

SecondBest Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 5, 2003
    It looks like the one Obi-Wan has in ANH. Usually Padawans build their lightsaber to resemble that of their Master's. It's a sign of respect. Luke built his to resemble Obi-Wan's.

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    That and according to Shadow's of the Empire, Skywalker went to Kenobi's hut to find information related to building a saber, so he probably found the supplies needed there. That is of course EU and irrelevant, but it does make sense that Skywalker would seek information on lightsaber building and the first two places to look would be Yoda's and Ben's houses.

4. Mortimer_Nerdly

Mortimer_Nerdly Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    ^^^
    Irrelevant? I should say not. That is unless it contradicts the films which would be most un-uber.

[]=====#[]<---------------- M_N! ----------------

5. O_B_1

O_B_1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2004
    Isn't luke building the sabre a deleted scene from ROTJ?

6. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Obi-Wan has the same lightsaber in RotS and ANH.

7. JONJEDI

JONJEDI Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 11, 2002
    Usually Padawans build their lightsaber to resemble that of their Master's

If thats true why do Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have lightsabers that look different and why does Anakins look different?

8. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I can't speak for the movie, but in the novelization of ROTJ, the only scene regarding the lightsaber I can recall is what Luke (who's hanging around Ben's place...I think) places it inside R2's dome. Him going to Ben's house made sense to me. It wouldn't have the trauma visiting his burned out home would, plus it would give a sense of peace and familiarity.

9. SecondBest

SecondBest Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 5, 2003
    If you notice, Obi-Wan's TPM and AotC lightsaber resembles Qui-Gon's lightsaber. They don't have to be exactly the same. And not all Padawans do it, and Anakin chose not to.

10. AndySertin

AndySertin Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2004
    Anakin's saber looks a lot like Yoda's...

11. IceHawk-181

IceHawk-181 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    The Expanded Universe is not only relevent in the debate, it is the basis for the discussion unless it is contradicted anywhere.

The new canon rules place the EU at the second level of canon, Continuity Canon (C), which is only outranked by G-Level Canon, which are the movies, screenplays, novels, etc.

Luke's Lightsaber resembles that of Obi Wan's for various reasons.

He used material and plans from Kenobi's hut to create the saber, as is stated in SOTE, and also because it is a homage to Obi Wan.

Pretty much what everyone else said I quess.

12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I would like to think that he is honoring both of his masters by taking the design of Obi's hilt and making a green blade to honor Yoda. I know that the blade was made green to show up against the blue sky, but it would make sense that he did it that way.

13. Peter_Skywalker

Peter_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2004
    Luke Lightsaber add a Green Emerald to his saber . It was in the book.

14. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I do have to agree that Padawans do create their lightsaber in some resemblence to tehir masters in one way or the other. In TPM and AOTC Obi-Wans does kind of resemble Qui-Gons as does Luke's to Obi-Wans. And I do think that SOTE is very important. I really do not look at that book as an EU novel. I think it is very important to the trilogy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.