main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luke's suicide solution

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ObiVanKenobi, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiVanKenobi

ObiVanKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2004
    Just an observation, but why is it that Luke is always trying to commit suicide in the OT? Bespin and his "slip", the "soon I'll be dead, and you with me." line in ROTJ, I mean, what gives? Isn't he taking the self-sacrifice thing a little bit to far? :D

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    In TESB, Luke would rather die than join the dark side.
    In ROTJ, Luke would rather die with the Death Star exploding taking the Emperor with him than living and having the Empire win.

3. Handmaiden-

Handmaiden- Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 30, 2003
    Well, think about who he is, and the position he's being put in.
    In ESB, I don't think he intended to try to kill himself; he got backed into a corner by his sworn enemy who bluntly reveals he's Luke's father, and Luke doesn't see any other way than to jump.

In ROTJ, he did realize he might not come back (see scene with Leia in Ewok village) but again, there's no other choice. Vader is tracking him like a hound dog; until Luke gives up, he's putting his friends and the entire alliance in danger. Not to mention, Yoda has told him he has to face Vader again before he becomes a true Jedi.

4. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    "soon I'll be dead, and you with me." line in ROTJ,

Luke planned to die on the DS II. He went there to keep Vader and Palpy busy while the Rebels did thier job. He was willing to sacrifice himself so the Empire would be defeated and freedom restored to the Galaxy. That's not exactly a deathwish, more like a Hero Complex :D

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    "...delusions of grandeur!" [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.