main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Luminara Unduli in Rebels (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kablob, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Sorry, I've lost track of this one :)

Too much going on today and I've posted to much today :p

What do you mean I "focusing on episodes"?

2. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    No problem, there have been a lot of good topics to post in lately.

In your earlier posts you often expressed your belief that Luminara, or a hologram of her, could be nothing more than a device to draw the Ghost into a trap. That means you think her presence could exclusively be a device to move the episode she is in forward. My feeling is that she will be in the show to potentially resolve an older mystery, give us information about what her character has been up to, and/or to set up themes going forward in the show. None of these are necessary to set up the trap that will drive the episode she is in forward.

Basically, she won't be used just to make the episodes she is in work. Her presence will be used to tell us other things about the wider canon.

Dark Lord Tarkas and Kablob like this.
  3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I hope that Luminara truly is in the prison, and the Ghost crew does succeed in freeing her. I dream that she thinks, "**** this; it's time to bring the fight to the Empire" and begins an insurgency. Perhaps she rallies more Jedi, and rebels to her side, before Vader himself personally intervenes. A duel/discussion between Luminara and Vader would be phenomenal.

Basically, like Shaak Ti before her, I love the idea of a Jedi Master still somewhat active in the years after the war. Seeing their entire Order decimated, their friends all dead, denounced as traitors and deviants, with no safe haven, makes for an extremely interesting tale. Unduli seeing what has happened, the veil of darkness over the Republic and galaxy at large, is something that would be fascinating, IMO. What type of person would she become? Would she question her teaching? Would she pledge her life to the restoration of democracy, or the training of a new generation? Would she attempt to rally survivors, or acquire the remnants of the Jedi's knowledge for safekeeping? Would she be pragmatic, joining forces with her former CIS enemies, or would she attempt to publicly expose Palpatine as a Sith Lord? The possibilities are nigh infinite.

To see her die immediately, or off-screen beforehand would be a huge missed opportunity, IMO. Sure, it would fit the thematic darkness of the period, but she could always die at a later stage. Killing her to establish the eminence of the Inquisitor would be so cheap, and obvious. To rob us of the aftermath of Barriss' betrayal as TCW already did, in the form of Unduli's response is also unforgivable. She's a film character, and deserves some more story progression. Moreover, that she was captured at all proves the strength of the Inquisitor and the Empire.

I can't wait to see what's in store for Luminara Unduli, that's for sure.

4. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Okay, I follow you now. :)

I understand how you got that impression.

However, I did also say that Luminara's rescue could also be an ongoing plot over the whole season - it has been suggested (not sure if it was confirmed) that episodes Rebels, will be self-contained standalone stories, may also have a season long story arc each year (similar to Greg Weisman's Young Justice).

And maybe Luminara IS just the McGuffin of of one episode.

And she could the real Luminara. Or a fake (the message "photoshopped" or a decoy in disguise) or she could be killed or saved in the rescue.

What I was trying to do is explain how the trailer is just trying to get people interested in watching and speculate, but it isn't really telling us anything, just teasing.

Luminara could indeed have a greater role in the story than to just be bait, but likewise she might just be bait - for the Rebels and the viewers - knowing that this period of Star Wars has few Jedi if the story used a Jedi we didn't know we'd easily guess that they wouldn't survive and wouldn't form an attachment the character, therefore they would bother putting it in the trailer. However, using a familiar face will automatically make many of us more concerned for the outcome the rescue and have a greater emotional impact if she doesn't survive, therefore they have this tease of a familiar character so why not use it in the trailer.

I also believe, based mainly on Ezra's various Jedi actions, that the trailers can contain footage from multiple episodes across season season one, not just the first episode.

5. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Exactly, Jedi fighting kinda is supposed to be Vader's thing. Nothing in the new canon seems like it is coming close to that at the moment.

However, I would be really surprised to see Vader in season one. They don't want Kallus and the Inquisitor to be overshadowed. The only way I see Luminara fighting Vader in Rebels is if it she survives into season two or three. The wait would be well worth it though.

And I just saw the new Hogsquattle post.

I hadn't considered Luminara being the McGuffin of the whole season. That could work out well, but at that point I would think that it would really need to be Luminara. :cool: At the very least the whole season being based on a deception would seriously hurt repeat viewing. A finale that tells us Luminara wasn't even captured wouldn't be the most exciting end to a season.

Yet basing a whole season around capturing Luminara might make a battle between her and Vader more plausible. Imagine season one ending with Luminara free and declaring her intent to take down Vader. Now that would generate a whole off-season worth of buzz.

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    A few more thoughts of mine on the subject; apologies as I try to synthesise all this random info we have in to something cohesive.

What we know: Luminara Unduli is seemingly alive, and now in Imperial custody. We last saw her on Kashyyyk in 19BBY.
    [​IMG]

In the old continuity, we saw Unduli mown down by her clone subordinates:
    [​IMG]

Other Jedi we know were on Kashyyyk at the time of Order 66:
    Jedi Master Tsui Choi
    [​IMG]
    Grand Master Yoda
    [​IMG]

What we also know, albeit from the old EU, was that after deploying troops on Boz Pity, Quinlan Vos joined the other Jedi on the Wookiee homeworld. However, this information may be contradicted. From the EU we know that Choi and Vos both escaped.

However, disregarding that, and looking solely at the Rebels content: cast your eyes towards the recent Holonet News video, which described a Wookiee revolt. What's to say that Luminara Unduli, like Master Yoda, was aided by the native Wookiees and saved from betrayal by her clone troopers. What if, unlike Yoda, Unduli never was spirited away, and went in to hiding on that planet. With the death of Commander Gree at Yoda's hands, and the strength and ferocity of Wookiees, coupled with their large numbers and fierce loyalty to Jedi, may have spared Unduli.

Her sudden appearance in an Imperial jail may be a result of Imperial actions on Kashyyyk in quelling the revolt. Perhaps forces of the Empire discovered her on that planet whilst onworld. Moreover, Ezra, Kanan and co.'s freeing of Wookiee slaves may lead them to Unduli, though this is of course just pure conjecture.

[​IMG]

What's interesting, is that perhaps Choi and Vos, like in the EU, also survived Order 66. With the removal of Commander Gree and his command structure, the possibility is high. This would mean that the clones may have failed to kill any Jedi on Kashyyyk.

7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I think Luminara will be killed by the Inquisitor - dispatching a powerful Jedi Master known to the audience is good to show how dangerous he is.

I hope Vader (and Palpatine) will make an appearance at some point but it does need to established that this the Inquisitor and Kallus' show.

Tarkington, Motti and Yularen would be good guest stars too. And Hondo.

Season One would be too soon to feature Vader.

Even a hologram communication showing Vader would cause a storm :)

And I do think that beyond guest stars, they are goin to tie this series into the movies - maybe, as I said earlier, the final mission for the Ghost crew is the delivering the Death Star plans to Leia.

I've always what to see that scene of Artoo downloading the data during an EV like in the radio play :) (is it in the novelisation?)

8. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Is this image from RotS itself or a deleted scene?

BTW, thanks for mentioning HoloNet News - I looked it because of your posts.

I wasn't aware it was back online again. I used to really enjoy the old HoloNet News duting production on the Prequels.

Thanks

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    From the movie around the time Yoda lands on planet. We just don't see her end in the montage.

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Fantastic post, thanks for this. I never noticed Luminara on Kashyyyk in Ep. III before, even watching after TCW taught me who Luminara is. That alone is very interesting. Then when you mentioned how she was last seen on Kashyyyk and we know the pilot with the Wookiees is also going to have Luminara and these things may be related you pretty much blew my mind. Now I'm definitely looking forward to hearing how they describe what she was doing before being imprisoned, and really crossing my fingers that this is all connected somehow, because I would love that.

On another note, I had no idea that the surface species from Mercy Mission had a Jedi, that rules!!!!! And I love how it shows the Republic and Jedi including races that lived somewhat similarly to the Native Americans and treating them as equals instead of forcing them to accept another culture.

11. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Thanks.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    To be fair, that species had barely any development before TCW, since the only major appearance of a member was that podracer in TPM. Tsui Choi was invented around 2001.

Still, good point about the Order being so inclusive. One could argue the inclusion of at least one Wookiee Jedi works the same way, since they're not too dissimilar from classic "jungle natives".

13. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Eh, I think Luminara still being alive is stupid.

14. Faithful Wookiee

Faithful Wookiee Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2014
    Luminara's appearance in the trailer fills me with optimism.

I am now confident that there will be substantial continuity from TCW, and the new series will not shy away from the difficult or dark character matters that make TCW so great -- specifically, in this case, the aftermath of Luminara "failing" as Barris's master.

I like to think the remoteness of their relationship, as depicted in TCW, was the planting of a seed that may come to fruition in Rebels. That kind of consistency in storytelling is essential for the integrity of the saga.

15. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Depa Billaba, former Jedi Council member, was killed in the Jedi Temple during the opening hours of the Jedi Purge.
    [​IMG]
    So long, sleep well.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    very quick glimpse.

Hogsquattle likes this.
  17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    do we have "a new dawn" spoilers yet?

18. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    My guess for what's going to happen

Two Part episode, the rebels succeed in freeing Luminara even getting her lightsaber back, they plan to go on the offensive and she's killed by the Inquisitor to up his cred to the audience and her old lightsaber is retrofitted into Ezra's.

whostheBossk likes this.
  19. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

Problem with that theory, Luminara's lightsaber is green and Ezra's will be blue.

20. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    Huh, I assumed that Ezra would have a blue saber, since Kanan already had a blue one.

21. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Lightsaber colors come from the crystal inside them. If you take a blue crystal out and stick a green one in you get a green blade from the same lightsaber.

The EU explanation for the Sith sabers is that the Sith, being more ravenously utilitarian and disregarding the Jedi respect for ritual, tradition etc. dispensed with the whole idea of going to some far off planet to hunt down a crystal, instead they used synthetic crystals. But whereas naturally occurring crystals occurred in blue, green and rarer colors like yellow or purple, synthetic crystals would always produce a red blade. And eventually, this resulted in red blades becoming synonymous with Sithdom.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, the red colour of a synthetic crystal has to do with The Dark Side being channeled through the crystal when it's created. Luke's green blade has a synthetic crystal, in Shadows of the Empire (Probably because Luke has no idea where Ilum is and no time to hunt it down) - and the Imperial Knights of Legacy have white sabers and synthetic crystals.

According to, I think, The Essential Guide to Warfare and Book of Sith - red crystals, natural or synthetic, resonate well with The Dark Side if a Darksider chooses to use or create one.

23. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    If Lumi is alive then so is Barriss, Barriss confirmed for Inquisitor apprentice to Jerec.

24. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    You just making stuff up?

Apologies if you're not... but that's the feel I get from the above post, given what we know currently.

25. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    He is.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.