main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Luminara Unduli in Rebels (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kablob, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If she was captured recently, wouldn't it be cause for concern since if she survived for so long, who else could be running around? It's a non-issue imo.

2. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Not to mention, with something being set in the Great Jedi Purge, I'd like to see some Jedi getting, you know, purged. People get cranky about living Jedi in anything set after 18 BBY...

Darth_Pevra and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  3. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    It would be interesting to see a scene of Luminara in her cell having a flashback of when she may have previously viewed the holographic recording of Barriss' speech during Ahsoka's trial. To see her expression reflecting upon the painful irony of everything that had transpired since then would be a very poignant and intense way to utilize her appearance in the new series.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Darkhorse's Star Wars series and TFU I think explored some of the reactions and themes of the surviving Jedi fairly well so whatever happens will not be surprising and likely just retold or told in another way.

5. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    I find it ironic that Luminara, an exemplary jedi, has developed Barris into a failed apprentice; while Anakin, a failed jedi, developed Ahsoka into a pretty exemplary jedi. Ahsokas quitting not withstanding of course.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't know about exemplary:

http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2014/07/clone-wars-character-autopsy-ahsoka-tano/

Ahsoka Tano was, from the beginning, a headstrong and confident individual, traits that defined her through her entire career as a Jedi. Though she did respect the Masters she served under and the clones she fought with, her lack of patience and experience for the formalities of war and politics got her into trouble on multiple occasions and her pride in her own abilities meant that in the end, she trusted no one but herself to prove her innocence. While she may or may not have made a successful Jedi under another being’s teaching, making her Anakin’s student ultimately backfired spectacularly on the Order. Like Anakin, she struggled with attachments and emotions, unable to completely comply with the Jedi ideal of abandoning oneself to the Order’s ideals. Unlike Anakin, however, Ahsoka was able to let go of the thing that mattered the most to her, namely the Jedi Order, though helped along by the fact that they first let go of her. Teaching her may have caused Anakin to mature somewhat, but her departure left him confused and bitter about both the Council’s actions and his own role within the Order and helped set the stage for the events of Revenge of the Sith.

Like the show itself, Ahsoka was far from perfect and didn’t conform to everyone’s expectations. Her role within TCW, as close to a main character as the series had, rubbed those who found her abrasive and overly capable the wrong way. However, her development from an idealistic and headstrong young Padawan into a mature, more experienced Jedi mirrored the series as it left the more simplistic storytelling of the early seasons and moved into more serialized and serious multi-part plots. The creative decision for her to voluntarily leave the Order, rather than taking the easy road and have her die in the events of Revenge of the Sith along with the other Jedi, was one of the most daring of the show’s run, despite a rather compacted and rushed series of events leading to the conclusion. And as with Ventress, many fans wait in both dread and anticipation to see what role Ahsoka might play in future stories as the franchise moves forward.

7. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011

I'd like that too, just not Luminara. :(

8. henryj95

henryj95 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2014
    Okay, listen guys. I love all these theories and they sound pretty great but I just want to lay a couple more ideas out on the table. So far, every episode we know of appears to be standalone. I assume the episode with Luminara and the Inquisitor will be, as well. The trailers have shown them escaping the prison without Luminara. So I believe that it is either a fake hologram or the Inquisitor will kill her once Kanan (and Ezra) have been lured into his trap. The Ahsoka arc is one of my favorite pieces of Star Wars ever but I don't believe Barriss will become involved and I don't think Luminara will be used at all outside of "Rise of the Old Masters". TCW is SO good but, more than ever, Rebels is meant to be a perfect starting point for new fans. Therefore, I don't think namedropping Barriss or expecting us to understand who Luminara is beyond "that important Jedi that the Inquisitor killed" is a reasonable expectation to have. Any connective tissue Rebels has with TCW will likely be self-explanatory. For example, I believe that if Ahsoka shows up, she won't specifically reference anything about the events of any one episode; more likely she would say that she used to be a Jedi. Finally, we know that "Rise of the Old Masters" is the one with Luminara and the Inquisitor because the guys at makingstarwars.net said they got to see the fourth episode (production #106) and said the Inquisitor was in it.

9. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Yes, you are correct. The Luminara episode is the first episode with the Inquisitor as the main villain. Can't say anything more because of spoilers (and there's a review embargo), but henryj95 has made some guesses that are pretty close to the mark.

10. henryj95

Mar 10, 2014
    Oh okay! Knowing that I am at least somewhat on the right track makes it easier to know what to expect. I'm very excited for the show and that episode, in particular, seems like it will be full of awesomeness. I am curious though, did the music get turned down in relation to the rest of the audio? In the clip of the fight between Kanan and the Inquisitor that we got after Comic-Con, it is nearly impossible to hear what they're saying because of the music.

11. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    I didn't have an issue hearing any dialog.

12. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    The sound in that clip was optimized for a giant room full of people at Comic-Con, not your computer speakers. That's why the sound mixing was off like that, they'll fix it for the actual show.

13. henryj95

Mar 10, 2014
    Great! That was the only concern I had about the show so I am unreservedly excited now.

14. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm really hoping Luminara being alive isn't just a ruse made by the Empire; it'd be such a tease after seeing her in the trailer and finding out she was actually killed a while ago and it was all a trap. I'm sure the whole thing is a trap, but I think she's actually still alive (she'll probably be killed by the Inquisitor though) and being held at The Spire. As for why she doesn't appear to be in the cell Kanna and Ezra go into, my guess is whatever intelligence they received purposefully listed a different cell number than the one she was actually being held in. Either that, or she was actually in that cell earlier, but was already killed.

15. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I certainly think its a trap, but I hope they don't dispense with the character in a meaningless way. If they're going to bring back a significant CW era Jedi, it should have some greater purpose. If she is going to fall, it should be while protecting the new heroes.

16. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    However she dies, I'm hoping her death is a lesson to the Ghost crew that this isn't all just fun and games and that the Empire is an actual threat. Should help them mature a little bit more (especially Ezra) if Luminara gets killed off.

Darth_Pevra and whostheBossk like this.
  17. King Joker

King Joker Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2014
    I think out of all the Jedi they could've chosen to survive, Luminara being the one may hint to Barriss being somewhere out there. Though, I agree with Kablob that Barriss working for the Empire wouldn't make any sense given her reasons for bombing the Jedi Temple in the first place.

Filoni also said in an interview that Barriss dying would be a waste IIRC.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  18. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    King Joker

So...does that mean Filoni was hinting Barriss might be alive then? :/

Anyway, welcome to the boards. :)

19. King Joker

Sep 13, 2014
    I think so, yes.

And thank you! :)

20. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I'm not sure how I feel about that. I hope it's done right though, and has a goo explination for why Barriss is still alive. But, I do hope Luminara at least mentions that she had a Padawan and maybe it 'didn't end so well' or something.

You're very welcome. :)

21. King Joker

Sep 13, 2014
    Yeah, I think she'll definitely mention Barriss or imply she had a Padawn before. I'll be looking forward to that moment, 'cause I always wanted to see Luminara's reaction or thoughts to Barriss being the real perpetrator of the Jedi Temple bombing.

22. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    I don't think we'll see Barriss fighting for the Empire, however I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Barriss alone and in hiding on some planet, somewhat insane from the Dark Side and for it turning out the Republic and Jedi actually were just slaves of the Dark Side, like she had said.

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  23. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Would Jedi even allow themselves to be taken prisoner? Likely not, as the Jedi were defiant against Dooku during the end of the arena battle on Geonosis, they'd rather die there on the spot that be hostages to be bartered with. So likely she was subdued or stunned to unconsciousness or its a ruse to lore in more Jedi to rescue her.

Vialco likes this.
  24. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Generally when you are taken prisoner you don't have much of a choice in it.

Also Obi-Wan and Anakin both got taken prisoner in that movie, and in ROTS for that matter.

anakinfansince1983 and Cevan like this.
  25. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Am talking about wilful laying down the ligthsaber type of surrender prisoner where there was actual choice involved. Back on Geonosis they didnt know Dooku was a Sith, if they did it isnt likely the Jedi would send Kenobi into a sovereign and potentially hostile planet, which had built an army unbeknown to Kenobi or the Jedi. Skwaylker and Padme were stupid and reckless and just went there ignorant of the complete situation and guns blazing to save their friend. How these two would take on an entire planet with an enemy that just overran Kenobi you'd have to ask Lucas. They were probably too arrogant to think they'd be killed let alone executed plus they were awaiting the Jedi strike force and possibly Clone army, so was more a sacrifice atleast especially on Kenobi's part as he didnt like them being there. ROTS they had R2 with all the hidden weapons and just at any time could steal their lightsabers back,lol. They did not surrender with the cut scene ray shields they were always looking for and found there way out.

The Shaak Ti's cut scene, she apologized for being captured with a line like "I'm sorry I failed", so it didnt look like an honorable siltation for a Jedi to be taken prisoner but more dishonorable and an embarrassment. Plus there is the further significance of the Jedi's lightsaber being of utmost importance with the whole Jedi's lightsaber being their life and to guard it with their life ect.