main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Luminara's Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jedi_Samantha, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Ok, so today some new pictures came out, and i REALLY wanna make Luminara's costume next. Considering i know nothing about making costumes (Im getting help with my Jedi Robe tomorrow actually and getting a sewing machine in less then 2 months) I was hoping maybe someone can give some insite into how her costume is made since i havent seen many picture of her.... Heres the link to the picture that was posted today...

(I dont wanna post the picture just incase some people stay "spolier free")

http://medlem.tripodnet.nu/shshshsh/

Its the second picture. It definetely looks like a challenge to make, but i wanna try. Not too many people i see really talk about Luminara's costume, so i thought id start this thread. Any help would be great. THanks!

2. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
  3. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    Unfortunately that seems to be the only full shot of Luminara's costume, and it's too blurry to make out any fine detail, even in freeze framing the trailer on my computer. You'll have to wait 2 months to get a better look, I'm afraid. (2 months and one hour to be precise, if you're going to the midnight premiere! :D )

ObiWill

4. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jedi-temple/Ep2Pictures/luminaraNbarris.jpg

Im guessing thats too blurry too?

5. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
  6. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Thank you very much!

7. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Ok so after extensive searching.. i FINALLY found something in which we can see her costume in!

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/c/barriss/barriss.jpg]

So what kind of fabric should i use....patterns... etc.. i already know the pattern for the robe.. but the actually dress (Wow its not a regular tunic) i need a pattern for.

8. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    That's not Luminara ?Unduli, it's Barriss Offee, her apprentice.

9. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    *Hits head* Duh i knew that!

Sometimes i wonder if i was dropped on my head as a child.....So we'll say BARRIS'S COSTUME!

God sometimes i wonder if my brain is working properly...

10. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Samantha

Here's another new pic for you. Just posted on the official site:

[image=http://www.starwars.com/community/news/2002/03/img/celebrationluminarabariss_bg.jpg]

Nice costumes! I might have to try one of those sometime this year. They look fairly easy.

11. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I agree, KirstenSolo, these look pretty simple, as costumes go. Barriss Offee's outfit in particular looks like a fairly easy affair -- a suitable underdress for it could possibly even be found off the rack (and would be useable as a regular wardrobe item as well). Then it's just a thick belt, boots (there's wiggle room here, since we can't really see them, and probably won't very much in the film, with that long sweeping dress), and the cape/cloak, which is the one thing that would have to be constructed. The main hurdle would be finding a suitable fabric for the cloak.

Then it's just make-up and nail polish.

All in all, totally do-able!

-sg

12. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Hmmm... Barris Offee's dress looks a lot like the dresses used in Modern Dance - y'know, the very plain long-sleeved ones with the big flowy skirt. And the belt looks like it's placed stragically just-so, so that you don't see where the skirt connects to the body (of course, that's speculation). Still, yeah, that *would* be an easy costume to throw together. :)

kreleia ^.^

13. Marianne_Solav

Marianne_Solav Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2001
    Well, here is a front of Luminara's costume.
    It's not a picture but...

14. Diva_Shaliqua

Diva_Shaliqua Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2002
    I'm making Barris's costume to see AOTC in. I'm getting a long-sleeved high-necked leotard made and my mum is making the skirt & cloak. For the leotard & skirt I'm going to use black super spandex because it felt and looked better than the cotton lycra. And for the cloak I've got dark purple crushed velvet 'stuff'. I'm going to airbrush the makeup design on my face.
    But I want the hood to be kind of stiff so it sits out, not flopping over my face. Any ideas?

15. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Maybe black interfacing/liner stuff would work. I'm making Padme's Tatooine Blue, and as you can see in the pictures, the bottom with the embroidered circle sticks out a bit and looks rather stiff. We got this stuff from a fabric store (sorry I don't know what it's called :( ) and glued it on with fabric glue. That really gives it the stiffness it needs. Good luck :)

16. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
  17. Diva_Shaliqua

Apr 16, 2002
    I love your costumes Jedi_Samantha! Your site is what convinced/inspired me to make this costume :p

18. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Jedi_Samantha your Barris costume is awesome! How did Midnight Madness go? Do we get to see some pics? I hope!

19. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Great work Samantha!! Your costume looks fabulous!!! :)

kreleia ^.^

20. jedi_blynnj

jedi_blynnj Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    Jedi_Samantha - your costume is great. you did a great job!

21. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    :) Thank you!!!

Ahh yes midnight madness was AWESOME! I had so many pictures of me taken and did so many interviews...lol

Watch E! TONIGHT 6:30EST. I should be on!'

Edit: WOOHOOO!!! I WAS ON E! Go to my website and look at the pictures from me on E! Im going to add the FOX news ones in a minute

22. VLAmidala

VLAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2001
    ::firstly, whacks diva over the head::

samantha, did you take pictures of your tv? LOL! i spent my entire shift at work today telling anyone who would listen all about midnight madness, and one of my friends from high school emailed me to say that she saw my head on tf.n. :D

i wanna be on network tv though! ::pouts::

23. Diva_Shaliqua

Apr 16, 2002
    Hi VLA! [ :D ]

Is the belt really black? It looks dark brown to me.. ?[face_plain]

24. VLAmidala

VLAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2001
    i was wondering how long it'd take to run into a nightly person here... ;)

25. AZDaizy

AZDaizy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2002
    Hey guys...any ideas on how to make Luminara's head piece?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.