main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Luphra???????

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I'm a huge shipper, and always have been. Shipping goes beyond rooting for which couple will become canon, and half the fun of shipping is creating/reading fanfiction or fanart for couples that never got a chance, were short-lived, or whatever. Some of my favorite ships ever were like that. You ship characters because they're interesting, have chemistry, are similar, or for dozens of other reasons- not because they're the favorites of the writers. Beyond my personal inclinations, only shipping official couples would have, until very recently, completely shut down the majority of LGBT shipping. After all one of the original and most classic ships, the progenitor of modern fandom and fanfiction, was the unofficial couple Spock/Kirk. A huge part of the pleasure of creative fandom is exploring characters and the universe they inhabit without being beholden to authorial intent or canon.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Well I should give this thread a bump now since Gillen will be taking over the Luke, Han, and Leia storytelling duties as well. What do you think the chances are now that Aphra will join the Rebellion and be brought into the main series as a regular character? I could see that as being a way they could give a proper end to the Aphra series after the second year is to officially bring her into the Alliance and join the main cast of the Star Wars book.

I guess we should just leave out any theories about her being Rey's mom as some people definitely don't like that idea. I don't think too many people are against the possibility of Luke and Aphra getting together though.

3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I don't think she will join the Alliance (at least not yet) but I think her and Luke patching things up is very likely

4. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I just want her to survive, you know?

I'm all for her survival, so for me it doesn't matter if she joins the Rebellion or the Empire. As long as she makes it.

As for Luke and Aphra getting together, I see some camps

1) Rey is Luke's daughter, Aphra can't get together with Luke.
    2) Rey is not Luke's daughter, so Luphra is okay
    3) Guys, geez, don't you know that Aphra don't swing that way?
    4) Guys, geez, don't you know that Aphra is Asian?
    5) Rey is Luke and Aphra's daughter, # LUPHRA4LIFE!
    6) uh who is Aphra?

5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah they definitely wouldn't have given us that scene at the end of Aphra #8 (where they both were on separate ships simultaneously talking about one another) if they didn't plan on that leading anywhere. Even though I do think it would be cool to bring Aphra into the Alliance I don't think it would fit that well until after ESB. You could argue that Luke no longer views Leia as a romantic interest by the time of ROTJ (even before he officially finds out she is his sister). Obviously Leia clearly being stuck on Han by that point would be the main reason but Luke developing something with Aphra during that time as well could fit also.

SilentGuy66 and vncredleader like this.
  6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Yay, Luphra is back. [face_dancing] [face_party]

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

vncredleader likes this.
  7. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

[​IMG]

Look at the two future lovebirds.

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I don't think anyone is making this argument. There's obviously nothing wrong with a biracial relationship. The only people remarking on her race are those saying "She can't be Rey's mother," so Group 1. But "Aphra is Asian so she can't date Luke...because she's Asian" is not an argument that I've seen made once in this thread. That would be ridiculous.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  9. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    You know, I wonder how our Marvel editors will react when they see that this thread has come back again. :p

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

vncredleader, Gamiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Darth_Voider Lol. You know they are getting a kick out of seeing threads like this. Possible that one of the reasons they had a Luke and Aphra team up in Screaming Citadel was just to see how fans would react to seeing the two characters paired up together.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  11. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I thought they put hope to Sana/Aphra romance in the last issue and Luke will date Nakari in some point before ESB

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Have you not read Heir to the Jedi yet? Or is your post meant to be a joke?

Revanfan1 and AV-6R7 like this.
  13. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    IIRC, Heir to the Jedi takes place before the first issue of the new Star Wars comic, so Nakari is long dead by this point.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah the way I saw it is that HTTJ is meant to be one of the very first things that happens after ANH. So indeed Nakari has been dead for sometime by now. In anycase found this new page on the wook.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aphra_family

Not sure why they bothered to make an Aphra family tree. Maybe the person that made that is a Aphra is Rey's mom subscriber.

15. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Or just a Luke and Aphra get together fan.

16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I think an even bigger reason for Luke to fall for her post ESB is he just saw how easy it is to fall to the dark side and how close he is to that line. He will certainly respect her a lot more when that happens.

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    How long at this point do you foresee Aphra living? Currently I would be extremely surprised if she gets killed off during the time of the OT. How long she lives into the post ROTJ era I think relies on what we learn about Luke during the next two movies. If there ends up being room to squeeze a relationship or two in there I could see Aphra living well after ROTJ and the Battle of Jakku and potentially becoming the new canon's Mara Jade type character. If Luke does end up being Rey's dad and they don't want to have Aphra be the mom (due to all the reasons stated earlier in this thread) there would still be plenty of room to have a Luke and Aphra relationship. Rey wouldn't have been born until 15ABY. They could have a Luphra relationship. Than something happens to Aphra but Luke manages to keep it together and meets Rey's mom. Infact him losing a potential wife or two plus the New Jedi order that he was starting would go a long way in explaining why he decided to turn into a hermit.

18. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I think she will live till post ROTJ if one of two things happen, she is Rey's mother or she never dates Luke. if her a Luke fall in love then she better start on that will knowing his luck

19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    If Luke does end up being Rey's dad do you think there is a good chance Aphra will end up being the mom? I'm about 50/50 on rather they would turn Aphra into the mom if that popular theory holds true. Even if they don't choose to make her the mom I think it would still open things up for Luke and Aphra having a relationship post ROTJ and prior to Luke meeting Rey's mom.

20. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I doubt Aphra will ever be given a major role in the saga films let alone be Rey's mom, despite that I really wish she was. I am a Rey Random person but I would like Reywalker if she was Aphra's daughter. I do think a post ROTJ relationship is seriously possible though and really want that to happen. Let Luke be happy at least for some time before he loses everything he loves

jamminjedi23 likes this.
  21. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    I wouldn't mind Luke and Aphra being platonic friends/acquaintances, but nothing more than that. They do have chemistry, but I think more of a big sister/little brother kind of thing.

22. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    It occurred to me out of nowhere the other day that Luke probably stirred up memories in Aphra of her mother. Kind, idealistic, naive, and likely to die in a ditch or led like a lamb to slaughter. Adds an interesting layer to their interactions at least.

I can't see Aphra dying anytime soon, in the SW timeline or in our own. She's too popular, and growing more so, for Disney to finalize her story so soon. I definitely see Aphra surviving past ROTJ, probably a few years beyond, and it wouldn't surprise me if she's still alive during the sequel trilogy. There's no real reason why she wouldn't be.

As for the next time Luke and Aphra meet up... I don't see Aphra joining the rebellion at any point, so it could be awhile. A big story probably won't happen again until the gap between ESB and ROTJ. Luke and Leia are looking for Jedi information and ideas how to plan a heist against someone really dangerous, both of those things could point to Aphra. And if there's ever a real Luke/Aphra romance, I think it'll start a few years after ROTJ, roughly the same time Luke first met Mara in Legends.

vncredleader likes this.
  23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Never thought about that but you are right Luke probably would remind her of her mother a bit. That would be an interesting way for them to go with it rather it ended up turning into a romance or not.

You are right there definitely isn't anything that would stop them from keeping her alive all the way to the period of the ST. Aphra doesn't have a definitive age as of yet. All we know is that she is older than Luke and Leia. This picture of her here which would have taken place around 17-18BBY is the closest we can come to giving her an exact age.

[​IMG]

You could probably say she is anywhere from 9-10 to 13-14 in that pic. So fastforward to 34ABY and she would still only be somewhere in her 60's. Still young enough to be actively going on adventures.

vncredleader likes this.
  24. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    By the way did anybody notice that Aphra looked a bit like Rey in the latest issue. Bwhahahahahah. Let's see how many dislikes I get for that post.

Gamiel and vncredleader like this.
  25. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Are you trying to start a flame war?