main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Luphra???????

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Jun 14, 2017.

1. I do not know if Aphra end up with Luke but most likely they will have a relationship or at least a physical attraction
    Although I do like this couple I think in this canon there is no woman who can be with Luke except for Aphra

2. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Kieron Gillen has said (here) that he left Aphra's look open for Salvador Larocca to design. The variation people continue to see between artists is most likely because he continues to leave it pretty open, when he's involved at all. Gillen doesn't own Aphra or have total creative control over the character, so his blog comments or off-the-record convention answers aren't going to be treated as official by LucasFilm. We also have never met her mother, so treating Aphra's racial composition as set in stone even from an in-universe standpoint can't be done yet. There's so much fanon built up around Aphra right now, but very little that we actually know for sure. Trying to police other people's opinions and shut down discourse isn't going to make people stop seeing what they see. It's not whitewashing to debate an open question.

Aphra being Asian doesn't even take her off the list of potential mothers though. Genetics absolutely can result in a mix-raced child that resembles only one parent. It's not even strange or rare. If Rey is Luke's daughter that's the lineage they writers are leaning on heavily at this point, especially Force powers and looks, but after that confirmation even the mainstream audience will start to wonder about the identity of her mother. At that point, narrative attributes that were initially seen as Skywalker might be reconsidered as coming from the mother. How would Aphra fit?

Mechanical and engineering ability? Sure, we know Luke and Anakin contributed to this, but Aphra was incredibly skilled in that area as well. She even impressed Vader.
    Piloting? She might not be a child prodigy, but we know Aphra's an awesome pilot and has her own customized ship.
    Force powers? I personally think there have been some hints that Aphra might unknowingly be Force-sensitive.
    Fighting skills and self-sufficiency? Did we not just see Aphra help take out an entire bar of aliens?
    Parkour-style exploring and dangerous looting? Interestingly, both Rey and Aphra were canonically introduced doing this activity.
    Enduring love of goggles? Confirmed.

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Guys. Guys. Rey's mother is not going to be introduced in a comic. That's not how this works anymore.

Second, saying she doesn't look Asian doesn't take into account that NOT ALL ASIANS LOOK ALIKE. That's like saying someone doesn't look American.

Third, men and women can be friends and not hook up.

4. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    Why wouldn't Rey's mother be introduced in the comics? The comics have been essential in shaping the new canon, and big moments have happened in them (especially seeing Anakin learn that Luke is his son). Nobody is saying that the identity of her mother will be revealed in the comics, that will obviously happen in the films. What would be the downside for Disney, though, to be able to point fans leaving the theater to a character that has been fully developed and 3+ years of comics to buy?

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

There's so much logic in this post it almost doesn't belong on the Internet. ^:)^

6. No one knows if Rey is Luke's daughter we have to wait for the movie to know it

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Wouldn't that be an upside for Disney in regards to marketing if Aphra would infact end up being Rey's mom?

8. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    Yeah, that was what I was asking. What is the downside there? I don't see one, so I'm not sure why they're so certain Disney wouldn't use comics to introduce the character.

9. HeatherAntos

HeatherAntos Marvel Comics Assistant Editor VIP

Apr 26, 2016
    Guys...for (hopefully) the last time...Aphra IS the Star Wars equivalent of Asian. Period.

10. Jordan D. White

Jordan D. White Marvel Comics Editor VIP

Mar 26, 2015
    Confirmed.

So is her father.

11. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    See, there you have it. If a Marvel employee tells you that she is Asian (or, better said, the equivalent of Asian in the GFFA), then Aphra is Asian.

Aphra is almost certainly not Rey's mother. But that of course doesn't stop me from still creating Luphra fanfic in my mind. Or them being at least best buddies.

A post-ROTJ ongoing series about Luke and Aphra searching for Jedi artifacts would be something cool.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

12. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, that's should put an end to that discussion :)

13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    At long last!

14. She is Asian but who cares? It has not yet been confirmed that Rey is Luke's daughter
    Rey can be any one

15. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    Well apparently all of the people earlier in this thread saying there was no confirmed info she was Asian. We now have confirmed information from Marvel so that particular thread can be put to rest.

16. I believe that the race of Aphra is not yet fully defined
    In the comic of Aphra is Asian but in the one of Vader she is not I think it depends on the cartoonist and on the cover of the comics Aphra is not Asian

17. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Revanfan1 and Grahame like this.
  18. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    Seriously? 5 posts above yours 2 Marvel employees make it very clear. You can argue all you want, but you're wrong.

19. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah looks like we do now have official confirmation what race Aphra is intended to be. I imagine Heather and Jordan have been watching this thread unfold with popcorn in hand.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I...what?

[​IMG]

21. I just said my opinion I'm not interested in starting a debate

22. HeatherAntos

HeatherAntos Marvel Comics Assistant Editor VIP

Apr 26, 2016
  23. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    There's having an opinion, and there's being an idiot.

24. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Also, I love the fact that the Marvel editors ****post too. :p

25. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    whoa there.

Asian or not, getting together with Luke or not at the end, I just need Aphra to survive ST, I think Luphra gives her the best chance to survival.