main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Luphra???????

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jamminjedi23, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    No. At the end of the Showdown on the Smugglers Moon arc, Sana tells Leia that the marriage with Han was faked in order to pull off a robbery. She certainly did not consider it real. But Han left with her cut of the money that was stolen in the robbery. Since then, Sana pursued Han. Not because she had feelings for him, but simply because she wanted her part of the money back. Her whole behaviour in that arc was just a show and she admitted this herself by the end of that arc.

I have seen nothing that indicates that Sana is attracted to men. We only know that she once had feelings for Aphra.

When it comes to Aphra, I wasn't sure about her sexual orientation for some time. Back when Rebel Jail was releases, I thought it was also a good possibility that Aphra never had feelings for Sana and just manipulated her for her own reasons. But when her father mocked her that she had terrible taste in women, this was a clear indication for me that she's attracted to girls. But then her university in the Doctor Aphra #1 flashback story also mentioned that Aphra had romantic adventures with ruffians. So she could be bi.

Another question: Regardless what her sexuality is, do you think she ever had a real romantic relationship? Somehow I don't think she ever had one.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I didn't get that at all. She admitted that to Leia only after Leia had saved her life.

Shipping is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

It could be both. Sexuality is funny that way, each individual having their own taste. :) Even in Space!

I do think Aphra, at least until this point, has never not betrayed anyone she has been with because she's got some serious issues and weird ideas about how the world works.

3. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Charlemagne19
    Sana again said in the Harbinger arc to Luke that she is staying with the Rebellion until Han is able to give her the money. It really doesn't look to me that she has any romantic feelings for Han.

But maybe, just to have certainty, one of our Marvel officials here can clarify this?

4. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Not all opinions are valid. Opinions can be just plain wrong and when the evidence is presented in overwhelming volume, like, say, the creators/editors of a character saying a character is one thing and not the other, really? Your opinion is wrong.
    And should be changed. To not change your opinion in such a situation does not present you in a good light.

And the school yard plea of 'it's my opinion and I'm not interested in starting a debate' doesn't work I'm afraid. Facts beat opinions. You may not want a debate. That's Ok. You aren't getting one. There is not a debate. You, sir, are wrong in your opinion. The sensible, intelligent thing to do, is change your opinion.

5. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    jafo.

A little harsh don't you think?

Lord Sith Haloxzz says he think something, he said it was his opinion. by definition opinion can't be direct linked to the facts (presence or lack thereof). It's a definition. define opinion if you don't believe me. If you don't believe google believe the dictionary.

Furthermore I'm afraid he does not care a bit of what you think whether he is in a good light in your eyes.

Lastly, in my eyes, you are indeed trying to start a debate.

TL; DR People can choose to change their opinion, but should not be shamed into doing so, regardless of "facts"

6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I think Aphra has been involved with people before and genuinely has cared about those people. Rather or not she has allowed herself to be in love with them is another question. I think she up to this point has displayed the traditional behavior of someone who has been deeply hurt in the past (in Aphra's case when her parents split up and her mom was killed) and so they build up walls around them to keep themselves from getting hurt again.

I think one of the themes of the first arc in the Aphra comic was to show us that she still genuinely still does care (as you could tell she still has deep feelings for her father despite being extremely bitter at him at the same time) about people and she is not strictly the cold hearted killer and manipulator that we saw in the Vader comic.

Since we know that Marvel employees are watching this thread one thing that I think would be great to see is to do some flashbacks showing us what kind of kid she was like prior to her parents splitting up. How she reacted to her parents splitting up. And then show us the events surrounding her mom getting killed.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  7. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    I'm no t a fan of flashbacks but yes I like to know what kind of k id she was.

8. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    How can you have an opinion on a fact?? Using your logic, by definition a fact is "a thing that is indisputably the case".

Revanfan1 and jafo like this.
  9. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Well, here's what the dictionary says option is:
    1. A belief or judgement that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty
    2. A personal view, attitude or appraisal
    3. The formal expression of a professional judgement
    4. Law - the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case
    5. A judgement or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit etc
    6. A favourable estimate, esteem

So, while 2 relates to personal view, 1 clearly links opinion to whether there are grounds for complete certainty, which clearly exist in this instance. So, facts exist, opinion no longer counts. There is no debate.

10. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    I personally would love to see Luke & Aphra together. Opposites attract...they would have some great dialogue and adventures together. Aphra obviously cares for Luke and we will soon learn if those feelings of friendship and respect are also something more.

Now whether Luke & Aphra have children? My guess is that Rey's origin is going to be similar to Anakin's...the GFFA's version of immaculate conception.

To state the obvious, Luke & Aphra can still be an item and not be Rey's parents. To further state the obvious, the fact that Aphra has had lesbian experience(s) or relationship(s) doesn't mean that Aphra can't have a relationship with a guy.

11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah as I said earlier in the thread Aphra would fit right in with what Luke and Lor San Tekka were doing post ROTJ. Aphra and Luke would have years to build a sense of trust and comradery with eachother to the point where when him searching for old Jedi lore and artifacts is supposed to happen Aphra could be a trusted team member that readers wouldn't question why she would be a part of the group.

12. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Well, her advisor says "You are mainly known for your romantic misadventures with brigands and ruffians." I always took that to at least partially to be in reference to whatever happened with Sana, since she immediately calls Sana after that, but it sounds like there was more than one misadventure. I never took that as evidence for her being attracted to men, though, since brigands and ruffians can be female.

But we've seen very little of their lives, and none of them have had any deep conversations about what they think of themselves. At this point pretty much every character's sexuality is as unexplored as the rest of their backstories.

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Googled the definition of the two words.

Brigand is a member of a gang that ambushes and robs people.

Ruffian is a violent person especially one involved in crime.

Though you can't say 100% for certain but in general most of the time based off of that definition a Ruffian would be classified as being male.

I was surprised though that they seemed to give Aphra a much more normal late teens/early twenties life than I was expecting. Based off of what we learned about her backstory in the Vader comic (which consisted strictly of her parents splitting and her mom getting killed) I was half expecting to see a college aged kid who was running the streets. Not one who was excelling in school and who was just attracted to the wrong crowd.

I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that she learned a lot of her tricks that she uses now from the groups she hung out with during college.

14. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I mean, cmon. She obviously was involved with Sana. That's blatantly clear.

15. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    And no one denied it.

16. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    Sure it remains possible that the writers intended us to think she was dating men, but there's a reason neither of those definitions mentions gender or sex. Sana and Aphra themselves could count as brigands and/or ruffians when we first meet them, same with Chanath Cha and a number women we've met. Plus that advisor was very dramatic and bitter. For all we know, when he said brigands and ruffians he could have been talking about Imperials. I'm not discounting that line or the possibility that she was dating men, but for me... I saw some attraction to Vader and now I see some for Luke, that's what makes me think she could be bi.

I was too, and a little disappointed that they made her backstory so literal and similar to the real world. In the early days of the character I never expected her to literally be a doctor of philosophy in some subject or to have ever tried for one. I expected her to have chosen to start calling herself Doctor Aphra, just for the sheer coolness of it, and to have convinced others to call her that by acts of badassery.

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Darth Zane yeah when we were first being introduced to the character I had the impression that she was never a real doctor either. Looking back on it though I am liking the fact that they gave her a bit more of a realistic backstory than an over the top my mom died which turned me into the devil type of story.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    That depends entirely on the writer of the second movie and third. Rey's backstory was never settled down on. They could make her Han and Leia's kid or the daughter of Moff Tarkin via frozen sperm if they wanted to.

19. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Or she's the product of a lab experiment where Jyn Ersos frozen eggs were combined with Vader's frozen sperm.

Seriously, someone on the 8SA forums actually believed that theory.

Luphra may be fanfiction-territory, but it's actually not THAT bad compared to Reylo or some of the weirder Rey parentage theories. :)

vncredleader and Charlemagne19 like this.
  20. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    To be honest I highly doubt they are going to give Rey an 'immaculate conception' type of story like Anakin had. For as much effort as they have put into getting people over the prequels it would be like taking back a lot of what they had done if they give the star of their trilogy the same beginning as the star of the PT.

I think she will have parents and it will be just a matter of who those parents end up being.

Not saying it is Aphra but it would make sense for them to mention who the mother is and then they have material already available about her character for people to dig into instead of making them wait years in order to find out the answer.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Really, it boils down to whoever Disney approved when the writer of Episode 8 submitted their script.

22. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    anyone knows who the voice actress for "We'll come back sweetie. I promise" for Rey's flashback in the TFA.
    That have to be the mother.

23. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    There were a lot of great Luke/Aphra moments throughout the Screaming Citadel, disappointing though it was in other ways. My favorites:

Aphra tying Luke's spavat
    [​IMG]
    Luke blocking the blaster bolt meant for Aphra
    [​IMG]
    The parallel at the end where they can't shut up about each other.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Always an easy hint for the writers, make a character be unable to shut up about the other person. Other favorites?

AusStig, Jedha John and Darth_Voider like this.
  24. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Marvel is torturing Luphra fans like me with these teases.... :p
    But to be serious, even if a romance will likely never happen, I wish we'll get more Luke/Aphra team-ups in the future. They still have a lot of great character moments together.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  25. Darth Zane

Apr 21, 2000
    As good as the Aphra/Luke moments we got were, I'm disappointed that Aphra never mentioned Padmé or Naboo. I can understand holding off on the revelation. Sort of. I desperately wanted it and when I think of all the wasted pages in Screaming Citadel I'm mystified, but I can understand wanting that to be a bigger moment. Even if she didn't reveal the big secret, mentioning that stuff out of context as a tease would have been cool.