main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lupita Nyong'o and Gwendoline Christie join the cast of Episode VII.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rezpen, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    his parents must be so proud of him...

Darth_Corvus likes this.
  2. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Well some species can walk when they are born. You can't prove me wrong if I say a 10 year old Dathomiri is fully mature. The thing about aliens is that they are: aliens. Totally not like humans.

3. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Artoo (more of a 'bleeping' role...) Sio Bibble, Rune Haako, Daultay Dofine, Kitster, Wald, Amee, Jira, Jabba, Sebulba, Tarpals, Fode and Beed, Handmaidens (can't remember which ones spoke), Lott Dodd, Mas Amedda, Ric OliƩ, TC-14, Aks Moe.... OK I'm starting to scrape the barrel with characters that had only one or two lines; also non-speaking roles of the other Jedi Council members for example.

I recall Celia Imrie being announced as being in the cast and it was widely assumed that this well-known British actress would feature more prominently. I doubt I wasn't the only one who had a WTF moment when she popped up as a Naboo fighter pilot.

Sorry, wandering off topic!

4. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think she has the facial bone structure of Ventress.

5. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Surely now there can;t be many more new actors added to the cast list?

This is actually a very valid point. They need to be very careful that they don't saturate the action, the important scenes or the different types of adventures going on with too many characters.

Maybe not a good example but look at the end of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, there are 5 characters all on the quest to return the skull, all vying for screen time and in the end its too many people and you end not caring about some of them and realising they are pointless.

I've also mentioned a couple of times on previous threads that with so many characters it will be a case of balancing the screen time of the older established heroes and the new heroes. They need to balance audience anticipation of seeing the OT characters in action with also establishing the new characters too.

6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Without going into reasons that will totally de-rail this thread (I know it will, it has before) there are reasons why Lupita will not be cast as Ventress.

EDIT: Also, it is the formal policy of these boards to use the "Edit" function, rather than make multiple consecutive posts. Continuing to do so will result in corrective action being taken.

7. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    A big plus in the Lupita=Ventress debate is that including Ventress would be a big lure for the TCW generation

8. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I just don't get the whole Ventress stuff. Lupita playing a Sith? Sure, why not? Lupita playing a character that that was introduced in an ancillary cartoon without a single reference in the previous films? Yeah, I'm going to say no.

Lurknomore and DarthPinoy like this.
  9. TtheForceHurts

Jan 28, 2010
    If she appears I am quite sure that she will be introduced as a new character. For those who have seen TCW it will be comparable to have seen the PT prior to the OT and knowing about Anakin, Yoda, Kenobi and the clone wars. All characters in the ST have not been alive during Ventresses exploit during TCW (with the exception of Chewie and the droids, but those also were in the PT and made no references in the OT for obvious reasons).

10. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Anyway we have 15 cast members, roughly the number of speaking roles we can expect, and three of them are rumored to play villains. Sounds good.

11. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

So, your going to introduce a character that has her entire backstory tied to an ancillary cartoon. Try to reintroduce her while also tying her to said ancillary cartoon. That sounds convoluted and unnecessary.

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I think either Nyong'o or Christie could be villains (we're long overdue for a female villain in the films IMO), but the possibility of Nyong'o being Ventress is approximately 3,720 to 1.

13. TtheForceHurts

Jan 28, 2010
    Never tell me the odds...

14. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

Right. I think this Ventress speculation arises from a lack of imagination. Every new actor announced is immediately assumed to be either A) A child of someone from the OT B) A character from the EU, or C) A character from the Clone Wars.

When in fact, ALL of the new cast are most likely just going to be original characters (except Daisy; I think it's reasonable to assume she's a Solo).

I guess it gives us something to talk about. [face_dunno]

15. TtheForceHurts

Jan 28, 2010
    If you go by the trend of JJ reusing old concepts as inspiration Ventress's character was also inspired by concepts for EPII (see Making of AOTC book) when the main baddie was imagined as a Sith Witch and only later changed to Dooku. I think the probability of Ventress and or Nightsisters are an the same level as Plagueis being in since both are Canon characters, with the added bonus that we have a fitting casting with Lupita.
    The effect of having Plagueis and/or Ventress would be that it ties the ST to the previous canon, while brand new, out of the Blue Villains would not make it seem like one saga, but rather like a spin off.

16. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I'm not trying to prove anyhing. I'm only assuming that if you have a humanoid character (and Ventress surely fills that chategory), it might have the same biological features as humand do.

I don't think she would have clear transition from TCW. People would be still puzzled about her age. Just because it's natural for us to think she is an alien species and ages differently, it doesn't mean it's the same with the rest of the viewership.

17. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Well If I am not mistaken, the Sith Witch stuff began with MAUL, so as early as TPM. In the end, Ventress was retconned to be a Dathomiri, Maul was retconned from an Iridonian into a Dathomirian Nightbrother, and Dooku was given several interactions with Talzin.

Nightsisters are big in star wars now. This makes me happy because it makes the Jedi VS Sith scene all the more varried. I'm pretty sure we will see a Nightsister. Maybe Ventress, maybe that other one from Forces of Corruption, maybe someone totally new. I can totally see Ventress in Lupita. Made all the more interesting because of the following facts:
    • There is visible sexual tension between Ventress and Kenobi
    • Ventress's eventual fate is unknown
    • It is rumored that we will have a Kenobi grandchild (money on Gleeson)
    Granny Ventress could make things even more fun.

And a Nightsister ritual would be a perfect way to release an Ancient Fear.

Fair enough, Angelina. You do have a point there. Of course the puzzle only stands if people watched the Clone Wars.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  18. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    You're right. And there's no way they would do something that's confusing for people who've only seen the PT and the OT. Heck, I doubt they would do anything that's confusing for people who've only seen the OT.

So maybe we should scale back our tie-in expectations. They're not going to want to waste a bunch of time explaining Ventress's or Ahsoka's backstories, and even if some explanation is given in Rebels, they're not going to expect moviegoing audiences to have seen that, either.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.