main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lupita Nyong'o and Gwendoline Christie join the cast of Episode VII.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rezpen, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

But that's not possible! These two women were only cast just recently as a reaction to the nearly non-existent diversity quota backlash! No way could they have been in talks for months and only just got announced because the deals closed!!!! They couldn't have been considered before because they weren't in the table read picture and the whoooole cast of VII was suppose to be in the table read picture!!!!!

LIES!!!

o_O

2. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    She's the 6"3 handmaiden you don't mess with.

I know who she is, she's Boba Fett's daughter.

3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Don't disagree, you're entirely right that she could be rewritten as such (i could even see her becoming 5'10" and 30 years younger... but almost Vader's height o_O, yeah, no...) but highly highly doubt if they pulled her out of the "scrap heap" that they'd use her in such a copasity. They know how strongly her fan base is... that be akin to Khan in Into Darkness being a white guy Kirks age instead of the much older man he was in the show and movie. JJ might not know better but everyone on the Story Group would.

In short could vs would... ;)

4. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    cdgodin, DarthPinoy, markdeez and 9 others like this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    IDK about everyone else but I like Katniss because she is a good character, not because she is female.

6. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I think it's safe to assume that Gwen will be playing Yoda's 6'3 daughter.

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Baz Note: Reminder to all that there is a Diversity Discussion thread at SWC.

8. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    nm. Someone beat me to it.

9. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    sighs....

who cares. It was an awesome cast before they were announced and it's still an awesome cast now with them announced. All that matters is they casted talented people. Not what gender or race they are.

10. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I'm not copying the previous posts but my last word.

It was a massive overreaction when the first wave of the casting was released because the casting hadn't been concluded. So many people and what I am disappointed in the Star Wars fans go into hyperbolic rage far too fast. The quote that made me laugh the most and it's there on many of the podcast from RFR to AmC was that there was only one female- they didn't even count Carrie Fisher!

Women are underrepresented and to be honest the only series that has surprised me is Fast and Furious which in the last couple of films has really had some strong females, and lots of them as well.

I have not seen the bashing that Star Wars got for casting issues for any other film, ever, never mind at the stage that it is in which is just the third week of principle.

I think that the cast is absolutely fantastic and full of potential. They have pulled together - in the words of Kathleen- a great ensemble cast.

Now my last words for a long, long time...

Can we just have Billy Dee as well?

cdgodin, Pro Scoundrel and jaqen like this.
  11. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    It's great news to hear about Lupita. She's become somewhat of an "it" girl due to her talent and beauty.

I'm curious about the Katie Jarvis rumored role. She doesn't fit either Nyong'o or Christie mold. I'm still wondering if Jarvis will be in also, but as a smaller role (sister to Daisy who perhaps dies, sending Daisy into an emotional journey).

For Nyong'o, what about a beautiful princess type with whom Boyega's character falls in love but ends up being involved with the Sith, thus betraying Boyega and dragging him to the dark side.

We've had people fall to the dark side, but haven't had anyone fall to the dark side due to love.

12. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

There really is a diversity thread on this board?

The fact that it's even necessary to have a diversity discussion thread on this board is mindblowing. And disheartening.

13. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012

Let's make this official. Ship 'em!

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  14. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

There were only about a dozen or so actors in the table read photo.

A film of this size typically has scores of actors.

The fact that so many Star Wars fans seriously considered the major casting finished on VII after the first wave of announcements was beyond foolish.

15. WannaBuySomeDeathSticks

WannaBuySomeDeathSticks Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2014
    These actresses are brand new to me. Didnt memorize their names. But you knew who I was talking about hmm ;)

Did not know their ages so this was good to know.

16. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Very good point. Touche'

17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Just saw the announcement!

Holy crap - Lupita is in SW after all!! I'm really excited! :D

18. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    The diversity thread was created to keep threads from this from being derailed.

19. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Pro-tip: their names are in the title of the thread to which you are replying.

SnaggletoothPaste likes this.
  20. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm not assuming she is, I said that Latino Review who were the first site to bring up Lupita's name, were hearing that it was for a Sith role.
    From what I heard, Lupita might be going up for a a sith!
    http://www.latino-review.com/news/2014/03/exclusive-oscar-winner-close-star-wars-episode-vii

ForgottennJedi1986 and markdeez like this.
  21. WannaBuySomeDeathSticks

WannaBuySomeDeathSticks Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2014
    Lazy.

Non issue tho.

22. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I'm not speaking ill of the fact that it was created.

Just the fact that there even was a need.

[face_plain]

23. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    This is mindblowing. Everything I knew has changed.

There's no way they are up for major roles though. I'd go for villainesqe background roles.

24. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    FWIW, the very first Lupita rumors had her pegged as a Kenobi descendant.

You don't hire a recent Academy Award winner who's one of the hottest commodities in Hollywood right now for a background role.

25. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Yes, because Disney is going to hire an Oscar winner, and one of the hottest actors of the moment, just to stick her in a "villainesque background role" all because "everything you knew" doesn't allow for VII to have additional "major roles".

OK.

Ryus and Jobertus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.