main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lupita Nyong'o (Maz Kanata) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Except we don't know that for certain. She could have died in the Purge after all.

Dewback and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  2. visionz13

visionz13 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    I agree Force Smuggler. THE CLONE WARS is one of the greatest TV shows I've ever seen. Incorporating such a major character into the continuing story of the Skywalker universe legitimizes that whole show. Luke always wanted answers about his father, and bringing her back really fits into the storyline. I'm very excited about this idea.

Vader'sGoodHand likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That wasn't my point.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I know some people (like AFS1983) wouldn't like this idea too much.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  5. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    The show is legitimized anyway.

6. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    The show is good but I wouldn't say great.

7. visionz13

visionz13 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    I can take 20 episodes from CLONE WARS and assemble them together, and say "that was great." The series as a whole, okay, it wasn't great, it was good. But what was your point force smuggler, saying we don't know if Ahsoka died in the purge? Well there's only one way to find out...

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You said Luke could use her help as she was a living Jedi. We don't know that for certain. Then you went on with your idea on why it might be a good idea. Not even mentioning that she might very well be dead by then. Besides we have Anakin's Force Ghost.
    Personally I hope Luke is able to build the NJO on his own with minimal PT Jedi interference.

9. Redimet

Mar 2, 2014
    I would be okay with Ventress being in the movie seeing as how she was alive during the purge and into the empire as far as we know.

10. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

As far as we know? The RotS visual dictionary (which was C-canon in the previous system since it is an official movie tie-in material)states that Asajj Ventress was still at large and unaccounted for at the time of the movie.

11. Redimet

Mar 2, 2014
    Good then she was alive for the empires rain at least.

12. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Yep, she was. Likely Durge as well. He is canon, but him being thrown into a sun is not.

13. Redimet

Mar 2, 2014
    Durge isn't canon.

14. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

He, and him being a Gen'Dai was also mentioned in the very same visual dictionary discussed above.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Pretty sure only the movies and the novels when they align with the movies are canon. Other guides and what not I don't think are canon. And I highly doubt that the Story Group will keep to that with all of the things that have come out since.

16. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    And by God, she's not the only one either.

Look, I get that Tano has her fans. Every SW character has his or her fans.

But as I've said before, not every character we love needs to be everywhere and in every story.

I actually liked Ahsoka during TCW (and I loved the series), so this is not a case of hate mail, but TCW was her vehicle, 2008-13 her (very extended) moment in the sun. I mean, we just spent fives years of watching her as the star of her own vehicle, and frankly, I'm enjoying the break from her. All told, it wouldn't surprise me if, through featuring very prominently in a series which ran for over 100 episodes, that she actually enjoys more accrued screen time than Luke, Leia or Han. Maybe even more than all three put together!

But more than that, I just think it's fair to ask that the characters which are used make a certain amount of sense in belonging there, and are not forced in to a story "just because." And with the ST being set some five-plus decades after we last saw them in action (and with no discernible connective tissue between them and the OT, let alone the ST), I just don't know that it makes much sense for the likes of Darth Maul, Ahsoka Tano or Asajj Ventress (as much as I adore her) to suddenly turn up all of these generations later, quite out of nowhere.

Especially, especially if folks are playing the likes of that old "well, they're alien, so they could still be young" card. Jeez, why not just freeze Ahsoka in carbonite as a teenager and thaw her out in time for Episode VII, fresh, young and ready for action!!!

Because believe it or not, I've read that one on here more than once, too.

Come on, guys, the ST has a chance to really be something special.

Dewback and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes new characters please.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ventress and Tano should stay in the PT/DT era.

19. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I do hope that the pros working on the film are more original than some of us fans. Not everyone has to be the spawn of some old hero. Old characters do not need to be dug back up. This saga needs to finish and move on from the old and give us something new.

What I love about eras like KOTOR... No Skywalkers or Solos. Of course, some jackwagon went and tossed in a Fett, but that is minor. This is also not to say that I will not love having Luke and Han back. I am just saying that there is a lot of excitement in TOTALLY NEW CHARACTERS AND HEROES in this universe. At least there is for me.

Adi_Gallia_9 likes this.
  20. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Can't wait to see Lupita on screen!!!

21. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Yeah but... what if... what if Ahsoka is no longer sweet?

[​IMG]

It could happen. Then Lupita would be no more suited to her than to Ventress.

markdeez and Darth_Corvus like this.
  22. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    If Ahsoka or Ventress are in the ST, it is exactly their age that should be emphasized. These are people who didn't just live to see the clone wars, they fought alongside its central players. For people living 30 years after Endor, Ahsoka and Ventress should be relics of an almost legendary time. The galaxy has changed so much that both of these women need to feel like people of a different era. With so many capable older actresses in existence I can't comprehend why you would have Lupita Nyong'o, possibly the freshest face in Hollywood right now, play either one of them.

23. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Neither of them are human though so all bets are off with regards to aging.

Hell, maybe they went out in a ship one day and it malfunctioned badly. There was a massive cascading failure of the computer systems, as a result of which the relativistic shielding failed and at the exact same time the ion engines jammed in the full-ahead position. The ship accelerated out of control to .999 C, and without their relativistic shielding, in the course of a few minutes (from their POV) they were dilated across several decades, bypassing the whole period of the empire entirely and ending up still young women in the VII - IX era.

Either that or they got stuck in carbon freeze.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

Sounds a lot like the "lack of creativity freeze". I love and respect Ahsoka and Asajj, but they shouldn't be in the ST, especially with young actresses playing them. Let the actresses play brand new characters, or at least fairly young ones.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Crosscurrent reference? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.