main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lupita Nyong'o (Maz Kanata) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014

It's some other woman:

[​IMG]

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It's obviously Asajj Ventress.

Master_Lok, Revanfan1 and Han Drolo like this.
  3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Lupita's going to be thrust back into the Hollywood spotlight again. And since they seemed to want to hype her up being in TFA, it will be a disappointment if she has a tiny cameo-like role.

4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm really getting tired of hearing those complaints regarding big movies. In the same way that I should not care if a role is not cast as a Caucasian, others should not be mad if it is. It's just a movie, as long as the story is good and there is no racial agenda, it should not matter what race the characters are IMO. The same thing applies to the male/female thing as well. Just look at the Hobbit films, multiple female characters were inserted into the story and it suffered from it because it felt forced IMO.

My main point is, as long as there is no racial/sexist agenda, it should be the quality of the work, not what race or gender the actors/characters are, that matters.

*In no way am I implying that racism or sexism are good things. They're not, they need to be stopped. I just wanted to make that crystal clear. I just think that being picky about what race or gender the actors are only adds fuel to the racism/sexism fire.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  5. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Darkslayer

While I agree with the sentiment that it shouldn't matter, media is still very skewed towards white males so I applaud those that make casting decisions that don't fit the typical Hollywood stereotype and I believe they should keep pushing and pushing until we've reached a point where it's not even an issue that a woman or a non caucasian has been cast in a role. Only then will we be at a point where it won't matter who is cast.

6. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
  7. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    You calling me a racist?

8. Seeker Of The Whills

Jan 20, 2015
    Did you read the comment you just replied to?

9. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I am sorry I might missundertood you. I thought you were saying that about me and I was like WTF?

10. Seeker Of The Whills

Jan 20, 2015
    No, I'm sorry. I screwed up with the message I was supposed to reply to. *facepalm*

11. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Good point.

12. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    I'm very impressed with how this film was cast.

I was vocal about my disappointment with the dearth of actresses in the first casting announcement, but with the addition of Lupita, Gwen, and Crystal, as well as promising rumors about the roles of the female characters in this film (Solo daughter, saber-wielding stormtrooper commander, Leia and the superweapon, etc.), I have a feeling TFA is going to set a new standard for the representation of women and people of color in mainstream blockbusters.

13. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Despite my skepticism about the film (regarding it staying true to GL and the potential of a nostalgia trip), I too am incredibly impressed with the cast. That's one thing about Star Wars that I don't think will change - the casting. Just look at some of what we've gotten so far, it's fantastic:

TPM: Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Samuel L. Jackson, Ian McDiarmid, Frank Oz
    AOT: Ewan McGregor, CHRISTOPHER FREAKING LEE, Ian McDiarmid, Samuel L. Jackson, Natalie Portman, Frank Oz
    ROTS: Ewan McGregor, Christopher Lee, Samuel L. Jackson, Ian McDiarmid, Natalie Portman, Frank Oz
    ANH: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Alec Guiness, Peter Cushing, James Earl Jones
    ESB: Billy Dee Williams, James Earl Jones, Alec Guiness, Frank Oz, Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford
    ROTJ: Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, James Earl Jones, Ian McDiarmid, Billy Dee Williams

And that's just some of the names - there were other quality performances as well. If there is only one reason for me to see TFA, it will be the cast. As a huge Middle-earth fan, ANDY SERKIS? YES! I haven't seen most of the cast for TFA act, but I have almost no doubt they will be brilliant if Andy Serkis is anything to go by.

14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    There's no doubt in my mind that the cast for TFA is a good one... A mix of established, strong actors and talented young ones.

15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

I still stand by my belief of the best person for the job, no matter their gender / background. And I agree with your post 100%

hartman89 likes this.
  16. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    I agree, although I'd like to think we are there already...

17. CGI-BOBAFENT

Feb 5, 2002

Although a lot of us are and already believe it really matters not of what gender or ethnicity is cast in a role, as a whole society we definitely aren't which is why the point should be made until we are.

18. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Don't forget Pernilla August and Terence Stamp!

19. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  20. CGI-BOBAFENT

Feb 5, 2002
    well that's Felicity Jones all but confirmed!

21. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    so is that interview above confirmation that Felicity Jones is Indeed Officially cast in the Star Was Spin Off ? She basically said she cant talk about It but she is incredibly exited about being cast in a star wars movie.

CGI-BOBAFENT likes this.
  22. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    So beautiful Lupita will be playing an alien in all likelihood? I hope not.

23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    MSW posted that she'll be only voicing Rose and that what we'll see is a puppet.

24. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    Here, re-posted, my theory on concept art piece:

TheBBP and VonDizzler like this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    She was presenting at the Oscars yesterday. I kinda wished she had introduced a Star Wars clip instead of presenting best supporting actor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.