main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lupita Nyong'o (Maz Kanata) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Really hope the rumor of Rose being a Jedi turns out to be accurate.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Most beautiful woman in the world? Okay. We all have our opinions. Frankly though that is kinda of a superficial reason for wanting her to appear as herself. If she was far less attractive in your eyes but still just as good an actress or had just as good a screen presence I would hope you would feel the same way. Otherwise you would be saying her looks matter more than what she can bring to the table for the CHARACTER she was hired to portray. If her character is who we think it is then Nyong'o's beauty doesn't matter at all. Should the concept of the character change just to satisfy her cult of followers? Maybe she should have declined the role if she is indeed going to be a CGI/stop motion character. Then again maybe to her credit her ego isn't as big as the in-your-face entitlement of her groupies.

3. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

yeah for real. this "OMG I only want 'real' Lupita because I think she's beautiful" thing some of you got going on is pretty dumb and/or creepy. not only that but it's pretty dehumanising to her work tbh. there are some pedestals people don't want to be on.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    She's an actress and I'm thinking that she deserves a bit more credit than just for her good looks. "Too beatiful to hide behind a puppet/CGI" is the silliest argument there is and downright degrading to her other talents as an actress.

5. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    any idea if she will be a jedi or a sith?

6. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013

She has powers and some connection to Luke. That's all we know so far.

Jaxxon- likes this.
  7. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    thanks! surly she is luke's padawan, no?

8. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Personally I doubt it. She looks really old to me. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say she's an Order 66 survivor. :)

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  9. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    she looks young to me...

10. Templiere

Templiere Jedi Padawan

Apr 19, 2015
    There are very few roles for black women in Hollywood, especially in science fiction. It took 7 star wars movies to finally cast a black actress in a prominent role. As a black woman and a fan of star wars I was so happy when they cast Lupita. I was really looking forward to seeing a black woman on screen in star wars for the first time. So my heart sank a little when I learned that she would be a cgi or puppet alien character and totally unrecognisable. I am still hoping against all hope that she's not the alien and that she's Leia political rival or perhaps she's portraying both characters. IDK it's just seems like a weird decision to me.

I can't wait to watch episode 7, I hope it's going to be great.

11. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I'm sure Lupita knew exactly what she was signing up for when she joined the cast of TFA. She is playing the little orange alien I'm afraid. Personally I think she has the talent to make Rose a truly iconic character in the mould of Yoda.

We have lots more SW movies to look forward to and plenty more opportunities for a diverse cast to shine. And let's not forget we have Maisie, Crystal, Chrissy and Jessica representing mixed race women in this movie. That's an improvement on every previous SW movie and a clear signal of the direction of casting in future SW movies. :)

DARTH_MUPPET likes this.
  12. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Other 'alien' portrayers have played multiple roles, i'd really like to see Lupita Nyong'o play Rose and possibly a female Sith, especially as it seems that Gwendoline Christie's Captain Phasma won't be using a lightsaber.

KSennia and StarKiller81 like this.
  13. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    These threads are all getting buried very quickly. Something hit me.

Anyone wonder what happens to or with Rose after the pub attack? I assume she goes with the group because the trailer shows her (or we think it's her) hand Leia the light saber. But what about during the castle attack? What about at the medical bay? Does Rey say goodbye to her too? Does Rose live?

14. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    She appears to survive the attack, travel with the gang to the rebel base, give Leia the lightsaber, and then...we don't know.

I suspect that we'll see her near the end, before Rey heads off to meet Luke.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

I know what you mean- she is such a beautiful and distinctive woman, I had hoped she was not going to be hidden.

DarthLightlyBruise and KSennia like this.
  16. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Paula Patton, Tessa Thompson, Zoe Saldana, Zoe Kravitz, Naomie Harris, Viola Davis, Gugu Mabatha-Raw, Nicole Beharie, Octavia Spencer and Quvenxzhane Wallis all say "hi". And I didn't even include some more well known and established black actresses of that list or some relatively new ones who are just beginning to make a mark. Nor did I include Rosario Dawson who in my opinion only remembers to consider herseelf black or part black only when that is a requirement for a role she is going after. Nonetheless she is getting steady work too.

Saldana gets major roles in plenty big time sci fi films. Of course half the time she plays a character with a different color skin.

I don't see how it is a "weird decision" to you if the role was already conceived (including how the character looked) long before Nyong'o was cast. Should they have changed everything after she was hired to play the part? As for your other points I get where you are coming from. But it isn't as if this is an issue that only affects black women . I know of Asian males who are dying to see an Asian male get a sizable role in a SW film. I know of Hispanic women who want to see their representations on a big screen Star Trek flick. Lots of people crave to see people like them reflected much more in these epic, tentpole blockbuster motion pictures. But if Nyong'o's role endsup disappointing you because she appears as an alien, take comfort in that there are two other young black actresses who will appear in TFA and one or both will likely end up appearing on screen in their own natural skin.

17. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Frank Oz really should have played Yoda himself on screen. If you cast a handsome man like that, you don't hide him beneath a muppet.

DarthSyverus and KenW like this.
  18. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

There's a difference between hearing someone is cast and having no idea who they are cast as and hoping to see more of them, and thinking that a role should be changed based on who is cast. She was cast for 'Rose', yes, but that does not preclude some of us from having an initial hope that we would 'see' her.

KSennia likes this.
  19. Templiere

Templiere Jedi Padawan

Apr 19, 2015
    I must have missed the part where someone said that underrepresentation ONLY affects black women.

There is a difference between black woman and mixed raced women - I do not subscribe to the racist one-drop rule.

Just because you can name 10 actresses doesn't prove your point as Hollywood is a huge industry. Proportionnally they are not many roles for black women so I rest my case.

I don't need you to tell how I should or should't feel. If I don't see Lupita on screen I will be disappointed and that's not up for debate.

20. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Anyone but me follow this train of thought?
    Rose's character (black voiced psychic lady) is inspired by Tia Dalma (Disney's Pirates of the Carribean black psychic lady), which utilized elements of an unproduced Monkey Island script which contained the Voodoo Lady (black psychic lady), who in the original Monkey Island games was a parody of Miss Cleo (black psychic lady).

So Rose is an accidental stereotype parody. In alien form. Jar Jar 2.0! From old Lucasfilm to Disney, to Disney/Lucasfilm! Full circle. Not that I really think Jar Jar or Rose are racist portrayals, but some people might think so.

KSennia and DarthSyverus like this.
  21. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I still think John Lithglow did a good job.

KenW likes this.
  22. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    She essentially uses the same Jedi visions power as Yoda did in Empire.

Jar Jar was basically portrayed as a Jamaican buffoon, that was offensive.

23. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    Where does Oda Mae Brown from Ghost fit into this?

cwustudent and KenW like this.
  24. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    When George said, "Give him big floppy ears" that was code for dredlocks. And when Ahmed had to beg to do the voice, he was playing right into Palpatine Lucas's hands.

25. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Spinoff number 3: Force Ghost

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.