main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lupita Nyong'o (Maz Kanata) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Possible.

2. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004

So make it a real actor.

Don't see the need for a CGI character.

3. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Why not set the whole franchise on Earth, in the Middle Ages and replace Force Users with Warlocks, Witches and Wizards? Elephants and Tigers instead of Rancors and Wampas, a nice Pirate Ship instead of the Falcon, horses instead of X-Wings. Then they could really cut down on that CGI malarky and special effects :rolleyes:

4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    MakingStarWars Based on what we know about the movie from Trailers and Magazines like Vanity Fair, what percentage would you say the Spoilers Insiders you know and heard, got right about the film, basically what I am asking were the rumors like 100 % or what ??

5. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004

You're missing the point. There's a reason for that other stuff.

It seems to me this is a CGI character just for the sake of being CGI. Maybe there's a legit reason but I don't see one right now.

Scummy_and_Villainous likes this.
  6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    They included Yoda in ESB with absolutely no idea as how how he'd be realised on screen, but they knew it'd be a special effect of some kind. Still, his stature was central to the character.

Perhaps Maz is in the same boat?

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Maybe because CGI (combined with puppetry) is the best way to portray an alien species? My point was that this is SW, a Galaxy of several million worlds inhabited by thousands of different intelligent species. You can't just have humans being the only doers.

8. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    one thing is for sure, CGI Has gotten a whole lot better since 2005, and leading the way is ILM so any CGI character in the ST should look a heck of a lot better then the PT CGI or any movie made back then.

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Thank you. If the design looks otherworldly enough in terms of its anatomy and proportions to call for the use of CGI, then so be it. In fact, I welcome it. I like my aliens to look like aliens. Yes, with a lot of humanoid species you can get away with having people in very convincing costumes, but sometimes, it’s just not possible, otherwise it can look fake or the design can suffer. We have the capabilities now when aliens can actually look and move like aliens.

Saying that "It should be a real person then" is missing the point, IMO. The story is set in another galaxy. Should a sentient alien species also not have a starring role?

10. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    I have only heard about "Uber" and I've actually seen the general in a still from the film itself.

11. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    so Luke/Uber seem to be the only ones nobody has anything of (still/concept)???

12. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008

I know people that have seen what he looks like. I can't go too far into it for reasons, but what SWU wrote about is all there really is to say without seeing it ourselves.

Revanfan1 and starocean90 like this.
  13. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Then go track these people down Liam-Neeson style and force them to reveal pictures (or at least a detailed description) of what Uber looks like. At least a real name
    *prays its not Plagueis because we'll never hear the end of it here*

14. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Seems to me that Maz Kanata is Yoda and Lando Calrissian merged into one character (with a little bit of Hondo) like Luke and Han were merged into Lone Starr in Spaceballs. :D

KenW likes this.
  15. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015

When I compare Yoda to Rise (or Dawn) of the Planet of the Apes, Yoda still looks more convincing.

16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Figured out that Maz is actually the Mother (hence MA's Pub) of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!!!

Happy Mother's Day!!!

KenW likes this.
  17. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Maz seems to come across (based on what we know of her) as a very benevolent kind of character. Not the sort you kinda expect to be the head of a group of pirates? Still, there you go. I'm sure she's going to be great.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  18. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    A better comparison would be CGI Yoda and Gollum. And IMO, Gollum, from both LOTR and the Hobbit, looks far more convincing. No contest at all, really.

That's why I'm excited that Serkis' company is doing the mo-cap work for Lupita's Maz Kanata and, allegedly, for Serkis' Uber.

Blake Starstrider, Messi and Jcuk like this.
  19. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I think Dawn and Rise of the planet of the apes The CGI Looks flawless where as Yoda from the Prequels looks dated, Serkis Is really good at that motion capture stuff and I think that is why he was brought on board even if he is playing a human they might be using his company for Maz Kamata ?

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yoda still looks great.

21. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Here's my current take on Maz:

One of Luke's first students, if not his very first.
    Was charged with protecting the academy while Luke was out on an important mission.
    May have been a Jedi Knight but never reached the rank of Jedi Master.
    Her trial/duty was to protect the younglings.
    She failed and quit being a Jedi.

Hence, she is one of a probably a few characters with small redemptive arcs in the ST.

22. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    So if Maz is the pirate queen how does she relate to the seven?

Blake Starstrider likes this.
  23. Obill-Wan Cuppobi

Obill-Wan Cuppobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 2, 2014
    Maz Kanata is a great pirate name.

24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Someone has posted this theory before, I think based on the early concept art showing her Blue but the trailer and recent rumors indicating that she's Orange, but what if Maz is a chameleon of sorts and her skin can change color for purposes of camouflage or perhaps when she uses the Force? It's a cool idea, and gives her another reason to be secretive and not use the Force around others if she's trying to hide... And if not for Maz, then at some point in a SW movie it would be awesome to see a CGI alien with that attribute.

25. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I really like that idea.

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.