main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lupita Nyong'o (Maz Kanata) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Sarcasm. See my previous posts. :)

2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Maz wears her sunglasses at night.

Because she can.

3. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    I too like to make judgement calls based on half second snippets of footage recorded on phones.

4. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Haters gonna hate.

Hope a proper HD version hits the Internet soon so that the Maz looks horrible talk can finally stop.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

thejeditraitor likes this.
  5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Did you ever notice the people who are quick to judgment are always the same people? Hm.

6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Textures/ CG wise - she looks great. I can see how people will vary on the design. I like it, and it's literally a second. But I'm sure others will have doubts. It's not really enough to judge on.

7. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    We really have to see how the look of the character works with the voice of Lupita. For me that will be more intriguing than the quality of the mo cap CGI as I fully expect that to be top drawer

Rabs, Mungo Baobab and Satipo like this.
  8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Agreed. Also, the actual characterisation is more important to me.

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  9. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010

Don't worry. Maz will kill those who judge early with her eyes. The googles come off and..zappp cyclops laser eyes.

10. Luke_Skywalker_1

Luke_Skywalker_1 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 2, 2015

On Maz being Han's mentor:

1) I like the idea. If she runs some sort of Hub filled with smugglers in pirates, it makes sense that she could have some kind of relationship with one of the galaxy's best.
    2) This means we may see Maz in the Han Solo anthology film, which would also be cool.
    3) Whatever her power is, does she not use the Force? If Han says: "I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."
    I feel Like Maz might qualify as "anything". Now, he might consider it a trick so that could be a way out and now that he believes in the Force he seeks her guidance. Maybe their falling out was even over his dismissal of the Force.

4) This might indicate that Han isn't taking Rey to Maz to confirm her identity as his daughter. Which could be a knock against Rey Solo. Could.

SgtTimBob likes this.
  11. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    You assume she was his mentor before RotJ.

Dra--- likes this.
  12. Luke_Skywalker_1

Luke_Skywalker_1 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 2, 2015

True, of course. But I think that is drastically more likely than 30+ year old, war hero, married/father Han Solo picking up a mentor that to this point has not been mentioned in the lead up to TFA novels, no?

And in terms of within the OT, he was frozen in carbonate from ESB to RotJ, and helping the rebels between ANH and ESB. And he also acknowledges the existence of the Force at the end of ANH.

13. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    I wonder if it became a studio/Kathleen Kennedy decision to make Maz motion capture.
    Like a last second "We need to cast Lupita in a prominent role and shes not a puppeteer" decision.
    I just dont see, yes from this one second of footage, how a mocap character fits in with all the other practical stuff in the movie. Like its not a Gollum or even a Jar Jar situation where its one of the main characters. From what weve heard she literally fills the Yoda role and I find JJ's intervew very disengenous when he said they needed 'more range of expressions and mobility' for this minor character that a Yoda like puppet couldn't acheive.
    I just hope its not an inconsistent, they couldve had this better, stain on an otherwise great movie.

14. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    But Maz clearly has a gift. Even if she doesn't expressly says she uses the Force; her abilities would give even a skeptical man like Han pause before totally disregarding the possibility of the Force.

Maybe after accepting the Force, it might have opened his mind up to other possibilities. It's not like Luke was super knowledgeable.

Some people have mentors when they're past a certain age because they are doing something new, or what they're doing requires lots of skill.

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I think they decided it was too difficult to have a practical puppet running through a huge set with all that rubble, etc, dodging laser blasts, fighting and whatnot.

Darth_Corvus likes this.
  16. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Everything is ruined.

Dra--- likes this.
  17. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    Am I being too nitpicky on a forum dedicated to the movie, in an 83 page thread about the character?

18. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    When I saw that image of Maz from the tv spot on MSW.......and then I busted out laughing, no way she is force sensitive

19. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Some of the reactions here based on a second of footage is laughable. Yoda can appear ridiculous out of context in a second of footage too but he's one of the fans favorite characters.

Chill out a bit.

20. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I like the look of Maz from what little we have seen. Although, TBH, she doesn't appear to be ancient like Abrams has said. Maybe it's the bright orange skin and the grin on the poster, but she seems rather youthful to me. Anyone else find that a contrast to her supposed 1,000 years?

21. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    She looks like a baked potato.

22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I think that's deliberate. She's a seemingly ageless ancient being. Like the elves of LOTR.

Though based on what I've seen, she does have quite a few wrinkles that aren't evident on either the poster or the shoddy clip from the TV spot.

You look like a baked potato.

Mungo Baobab , LANDO_ROCKS and Rodie like this.
  23. KnightOfRen

KnightOfRen Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Mmmm... baked potatoes. [face_hypnotized]

24. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    No need to be a tool because my opinion differs from yours.

25. KnightOfRen

KnightOfRen Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Woah, woah, woah. Nobody is being a tool! Tools are used fix things. Neither of you are fixing things by arguing!

Canyon D and Darth_Corvus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.