main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lupita Nyong'o (Maz Kanata) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Wildcatbarry, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Didn't see an official Maz thread for Ep8.

Also has anyone heard the (outlandish) theory of Maz being an un-caped jawa and actually being in other episodes?

EDIT: I guess this thread type could be changed from 'Discussion' to 'Official Info' since she is confirmed for Ep8. (Can you help with this EHT?)

whostheBossk and CakeThiefPro like this.
  2. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    Hmm I hope we get more follow up with Finn and Maz. Just a small scene in which he asks for her advice maybe and she acknowledges he's not running away anymore.

Also I had not heard that theory but it does sound slightly delightful.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Tag changed to Official.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  4. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I'm not sure where Maz fits in 8 and 9. Unless they significantly change her character. It was basically a glorified cameo in TFA, just three scenes really. Maybe they'll really invest in her character in the following films, but how and why is anyone's guess because we got so little of her in TFA.

I can't envision her going into battle or flying a ship. I don't see her hanging with Leia inside a command center. She's not a Jedi so she's not going to be training Finn or anything like that. Her castle was blown to smithereens so she has no base of operations, and her little dominion of pilots and ne'er-do-wells has been destroyed. So...What is there for her to do?

5. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    It is one of those theories that is like nah that can't happen.
    [​IMG]

6. CakeThiefPro

Sep 16, 2015

Well we know she has a lot of connections to a variety of mercenaries or outlaws for lack of a better term. I could see her showing up to back up the resistance in a fight with a whole gang of dangerous outlaws. I mean she's been around a long time but we don't know how active she's been in the fight between light and dark. Maybe having her home destroyed will motivate her to get more involved somehow.

7. CakeThiefPro

Sep 16, 2015
    Agreed but I did find it amusing. The idea that this wise and ancient (well maybe she's not quite ancient) being can make loud high pitched squeaky noises as if she's from a worms game is awesome.

8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    if she comes back what will she do? she's not a jedi and she's going to be busy rebuilding. i think she's served her purpose. that being said i would like to have her show up in 9 as a great callback if she had a good part to play.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Such a scene would be nice. I also hope that she and Rey have some interaction. It would be intriguing to see how she and Luke would interact, or if they have met before.

10. Thomas_Skywalker

Thomas_Skywalker Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2000
    I hadn't thought much about Maz in VIII...
    If I had to guess, she's part of The Resistance (at least at the beginning of the film) providing a rag tag mini fleet of pirate vessels and giving Leia sage advice (you know, stuff about hope, forgiveness and all that jazz)
    At least I like the image of Resistance warships mixed with old beat up but customised pirate ships to show the state the Resistance has been left in post-TFA.

11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Maybe she'll hook up with Chewy in VIII!!!

Allana_Rey and DavidSword79 like this.
  12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maz is zillion years old. That's going to give her a perspective that might come in handy to the Resistance. I can see the Resistance generals being very pragmatic and by the book in their approach to attacking the First Order but then Maz steps in and is all, "Over the hundreds of years I've been alive I've see countless men and women like you use the same plan of attack only for it fail horribly. I suggest you do this instead, (insert sage advice here).

13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    -I believe that KK confirmed that Lupita would be back.
    -It could work if Luke and Rey have to go see Maz at some point, for some reason.
    -We can get some clarification (on-film) as to whether she's actually FS or not, and if she knows Luke personally (she clearly knew a lot about him).

14. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    I think she's one-third Jawa, one-third Yoda species (but orange) and one-third Tusken Raider. This explains her height, her Force sensitivity and her general cantankerous nature. :cool:

15. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    I really like the idea someone came up with, that Maz will be the Commander of a Pirate Fleet who comes to backup the Resistance.

16. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    That would be tight.

17. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Maz is actually Yaddle with skin cancer

Krueger and DavidSword79 like this.
  18. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    She's not a Jedi, but she can still teach Finn the ways of the force. Think of it as more of a mental training than physical training with lightsabers.

This is concept art of Maz with students...

[​IMG]

Maz studying a kyber crystal...

[​IMG]

Han Drolo likes this.
  19. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    That's why they fell off.

11-4D likes this.
  20. BB_Gr8

BB_Gr8 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    She is the old wise woman and there is a lot we don't know yet about the past related to Kylo Ren, Snoke, the Knights of Ren, Luke's Jedi Academy, why the light saber called to Rey, etc. Can see her playing an important role in educating us on the past or things that lacked explanation.

21. pupuce

pupuce Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 10, 2016
    May be she knew where luke was all that time. And she is going to join Luke and Rey ,since she knows the force, and help luke to train Rey.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  22. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    I still think she'll be tied to Finn in some capacity. They seem to have cut a lot of their scenes together, like Maz going with them to D'qar to the Resistance base. Maybe saving the development for VIII.

Krueger and pupuce like this.
  23. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm glad to hear Maz is back! It seems to me like she could be a good source of information for the resistance since she seems to be in the know on a lot of things. Perhaps she has had dealings with Snoke before if he ends up being ancient just like she is, or maybe she will even have some idea of where to find him? Somehow the Resistance needs to find where Snoke is hiding, and maybe Maz will be the key.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  24. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Her main purpose will be to explain how she ended up with the lightsaber and perhaps some history regarding the Knights of Ren and the First Order.

25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I like the idea that she could be the key, or at least help with finding Snoke. I find myself hoping she's pretty important.

I think she could also be a good resource for Luke since she's been around so long and pretty clearly knows the ways of the Force.

Wildcatbarry likes this.