main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lupita Nyong'o (Maz Kanata) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Wildcatbarry, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    My guess is resistance will need allies. Max helps them secure a meet with the big crime lord in the galaxy. She and Leia go and talk with him. On the way she explains how she got the light sabre. Plus when the knights attack the crime lords palace she helps Leia escape.

But she may die.

2. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    This makes a lot of sense. As does the idea of Rey and Luke visiting Maz to find out how she obtained the Bespin saber.

Han Drolo and darklordoftech like this.
  3. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    can't anyone just skype each other in this galaxy?

You know if Bail Organa had just faxed Obi Wan he could've saved a whole heap of trouble.

4. Zikri

Zikri Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2012
    Yeah, because it's not like the Empire would be monitoring his transmissions or anything.

5. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    For some reason I keep coming back to that too. Nothing to support it, it just seems like they did a lot of work fleshing out the story of the saber to toss it all out.

6. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008

my use of the word 'faxed' really ought to have been enough to tell anyone I was kidding.

jaqen likes this.
  7. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
  8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I mean it's a natural leap to make given that Luke and Rey end TFA together, Maz has been confirmed to return, and she had Luke's old saber (and seriously, when she said that how she got it was "a good story, for another time," she might as well have turned to the camera and winked at the audience). I still don't know 100% that they will tell us how she got it in the actual films (I could see that being covered in a book or comic potentially), but it's certainly a possibility and would make sense here.

9. MasterMoolah

MasterMoolah Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    We know Maz is force sensitive. That's the most important thing about her character. I think she trains Finn. Not to be a Jedi, but to use the force.

10. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    I am not sure why Maz would be in Episode 8 as there are already so many characters to focus on, it seems excessive. I thought her role in Episode 7 was minimal as she was used to provide a means for Luke's light saber to come into Rey's possession and to briefly explain the Force and the light saber's significance to Rey. That's pretty much it.

Maybe she will tell everyone how she obtained the light saber since that part got left out of Episode 7. I wonder whether they will still go with the story of her stealing it from Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren.

Edit:
    The idea that Maz and Snoke have a history or know one another might be an intriguing twist.

11. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016

She's going to reveal how she got Luke's light saber. I mean...SHE PROMISED US!!!!

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    We know that Maz is strong in The Force and is at least 1000 years old. This implies a backstory beyond "space pirate."

13. Gorelab

Gorelab Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly I could see her as a mentor for Finn most ways they'd want to send him. If they want to go pure Hanish her past as a pirate could come in to help there. If they want him having some level of force sensitivity she could also help there.

cerealbox and KitsterAKABobaFett like this.
  14. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007

I hope they combine the two. Finn could become a roguish, swashbuckling Force-user, as opposed to the more stoic Jedi arc we'll probably get with Rey.

15. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Oh I hope that we don't get that with Rey. It'd be so boring and I have no interest in going back to "cold stoic, emotionally-student" Jedi again.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  16. ForgottenMaster

ForgottenMaster Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    I just had a vision of captive Maz being brought before Snoke while captive Rey looks on. Just before Maz meets her destiny, she looks into Snoke's eyes and reveals something huge...something that makes Kylo turn on Snoke and something that makes Rey need Snoke alive so she actually fights Kylo to protect Snoke...and Snoke escapes.

Example: Kylo finds out that whatever Snoke used to lure him in was a complete lie...and for Rey, Snoke is the key to finding out who she is and what became of her family.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  17. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    I want to see Maz and Chewie get together.........No not like that! lol dirty minds I mean team up like Rocket and Groot I mean C'mon can't you just imaging her standing on Chewie's shoulders and the two of them blasting Stormtroopers away! I hereby dub this team up of Maz & Chewie as......CHAZ!

18. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    Maz Kanata was an interesting character in 7, I hope that we will see more of Maz in 8. That character has the potential to be very well done.

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    she's in 8 unless they cut her out.

20. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016

Thejeditraitor: I hope that they will keep her and even expand her role. She was one of the new characters that was interesting.

Elegant Weapon and cerealbox like this.
  21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maz strikes me as somebody who has a lot of connections throughout the galaxy. I'm betting her role will be small, (no pun intended), and will largely consist of passing along some helpful intel to the Resistance that she's heard through the grapevine.

As for her story about Luke's lightsaber? As it's been said before I bet that'll probably be a comic book.

22. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    As over a thousand years old, I wonder if she knows more about Snoke than anyone else?

Mungo Baobab likes this.
  23. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    At the very least, she's the right age to know something about the important event that, according to Palpatine, occurred on Jakku 1000 years ago.

Dra--- and cerealbox like this.
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  25. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    I wasn't around during the Pre-TFA days. Was her stuff filmed during post-production for that too?