main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lupita Nyong'o (Maz Kanata) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Wildcatbarry, Jan 27, 2016.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Actually she is. Han mentions her in one of the Aftermath books.

2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    LOL, when asked about Maz and Chewie
    https://www.yahoo.com/movies/star-w...ewbacca-and-maz-kanata-romance-203041508.html

3. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    Hmmn... by name?

I've got both as ebooks and Malla doesn't come up at all in search.

That said I still do stand corrected as it turns out she's mentioned in this canon book
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A_New_Hope:_The_Princess,_the_Scoundrel,_and_the_Farm_Boy

Maybe that's the one you're thinking of?

cerealbox likes this.
  4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    lol. ok.

11-4D likes this.
  5. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Phasma has more screen time and is on more scenes than Maz was in TFA. I think Phasma has more dialog as well.

It's funny that a great deal of the dialog of Maz was what was featured in the trailer. :p

Maz key point was to tell Rey that the LS calls to her and to "use the force". And the nonsensical thing to Finn that the LS is a weapon. "I need a weapon" - "You have one!"

Maz serves the purpose that Obi-wan served in ANH. Gives the saber to Luke and tells him to "use the force" in order to finish his task.

Then in ESB Obi-wan shows Luke where to find the "hidden Jedi master that can train him". And in ROTJ tells him about Luke's sister which becomes the trigger point that enables Luke to defeat/conquer Vader.

Now in the ST, Rey is already found the "hidden Jedi master that can train her", so Maz would not help with this.

I don't see what purpose Maz could have when you have Luke (and the Force ghosts) to provide the "will of the Force" and wisdom to Rey.

Unless,

This has nothing to do with the PT and OT and it's a different story with different rules made post GL.

6. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    She knew Han and has lived through a lot. I think she will provide insight on things Luke either can't or wont talk about. She could be our insight into Luke himself. After all he's been established as a bit of a closed book when it comes to himself. Granted we don't know if she knows Luke personally, but that doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't.

7. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    I don't think the ST is about Luke, Han or Leia.

It's about Rey, Finn and Kylo.

Rey needs to learn stuff about herself. I honestly don't think she needs any training. She already was able to kick Kylo's behind in TFA, so that's not the purpose of her being with Luke.

Finn needs to wake up and take his revenge on the FO for enslaving his brothers in arms i.e. he will liberate the storm troopers

Kylo is there to hinder Rey and Finn and worship Snoke and ultimately die at his hands (Rey will probably not kill him just defeat him and Snoke will do the killing like the Emperor did Vader).

Again, Based on my very broad outline any information regarding Han is probably meaningless at this point. The only purpose would be very weak, would be to finally sit down and do an exposition scene to tell the story of the saber from Bespin to her possession. Which again doesn't really add any value to the story anymore. IMHO

8. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    That's all well and good but what does any of this have to do with Lupita or Maz Kanata?

9. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    I would rather see more of Maz than Finn or Rey because she is by far a more interesting character. Maybe they could have some about her background in episode 8?

10. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002

I was trying to respond to the comment that Maz may have some "insight" or "information" regarding Han or Chewie and that's the reason she will be important in EPVIII or EPIX.

I'm trying to understand what's the big deal with Maz and some of the fans here. Like Lazy_Ewok. Kudos for wanting to see more Maz than Finn and Rey, but I think if that's your expectation you might be pretty dissapointed.

I stand on my comment that Maz's purpose in TFA was to give the LS to Rey and tell her to "use the force" and that "it's in you!" or whatnot. Then we see the "payoff" of this when Rey just closes her eyes and then all the sudden is able to easily and handily defeat a fully trained leader of the KoR.

11. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    ObidioJuan: They didn't gave a lot of background information about Maz in 7 but she is connected with the force or at least has some knowledge about the jedis in some way so it would be interesting to see some of her background or to see if she will get some bigger importance in 8. You say that the purpose was that she gave the light saber to Rey and that but I hope that she will be given a bigger role than that.

The way that Rey was able to defeat Kylo who probably has a lot more experience than Rey was just stupid. I would have preferred if she got beaten by Kylo and then Luke should have to save her showing his jedi skills but they ruined that chance.

12. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1625160/how-lupita-nyongo-feels-about-keeping-star-wars-secrets

13. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Again, I don't see it. They gave a lot more background information on Maz than Snoke, Hux, Phasma or Poe. She's over 1000 years old. She was a pirate and smuggler, you don't want to look her in the eyes, she's own that bar for a while (but no more), she's somehow force sensitive but not a Jedi (or Sith-implied), she likes Chewie, knows Han Solo, she's seen a lot of people's eyes and can "read" people by looking at their eyes. She's terrible at protecting her clientele (shouting full names so everyone knows HAN SOLO has arrived). I'm sure I'm missing more stuff that was mentioned in exposition scenes about her or around her.

What else do we need to know really?

Again, to each its own, I just don't understand it. Plus what a waste of such a beautiful and talented actress to do her in full CGI.\

PS: For all her Force sensitivity she couldn't "sense" that the FO was just about to attack and destroy her livelihood, and after the FO started attacking and destroying her "place" she doesn't even fight back. She's just hanging around. I don't even understand what Han was warning Finn about.

14. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    So is Maz going to be in TLJ? Yes or no? I really hope so!

15. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Yes she is.

darth_mccartney likes this.
  16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I wonder what kind of role she's going to play, though. Is she just going to be there, just to make up the numbers, or something more substantial? Luke will train Rey (more than likely), so I really don't know how she is going to figure in to things. Maybe she's just going to be around so she can finally tell the audience how the hell she got that lightsaber (which she all but promised).

17. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

They will have to explain what happened between the FO attacking her castle to when she first appears in TLJ, after she gives Finn a pep talk we don't see her again. Where is she when Leia arrives with the Resistance? Why would she stay with the smoking ruins of her home?

18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Well, originally she didn't. Abrams said she went with the others to the Resistance base in a previous cut, but then she just stood around doing nothing once there. But yeah, I don't really know why she's coming back, not that I object. I just hope its not "just because".

19. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Maz needs money.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

Could Lupita possibly play another character? Maz' role and importance seems to end with introducing Rey to the Force, the lightsaber and the story of the Skywalkers.

21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  22. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I hope Maz has a nice role in Ep8. Granted it's not going to be a big role, but I hope we see some more of her!

jaqen likes this.
  23. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    I hope Phasma shoots her with Chewie's crossbow blaster.

And she yells a Whillem!

If I'm lucky at the last second she will shoot Phasma as she's being knocked back and that would put an end to both wasted characters from TFA.

11-4D likes this.
  24. cerealbox

May 5, 2016

25. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002

Is she good?, she's the reason the FO arrived so quickly for BB8 and Rey.