main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lurkers Anonymous

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthBreezy, Aug 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I lurked for quite a while, mostly in L/M stories because they're my favorite. I guess I also was intimidated by all the "inside" jokes on some of those threads. I am writing my own story and I started thinking about posting it, but then I realized that no one would probably read it, because no one knew who I was! [face_blush] So, I started replying to some of my favorite threads, and sometimes it was nothing more than "I really love this story!" but it got my name out there and I think a few people have started to become familiar with me. Some of the people I've reviewed have actually returned the favor and reviewed my story and that's a wonderful feeling. [face_love]

So, my suggestion to the lurkers is to de-lurk every once in a while and get to know a lot of really nice people who love Star Wars! :)

2. Jaina_Fel_06

Jaina_Fel_06 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2002
    I'm a lurker on several stories. [face_blush] I simply don't have the time to read each post as it is written. So, I usually just read in big blocks when I can, which isn't that often. However, as a writer, I know how much authors depend on feedback, so I'm going to try and post on the stories I lurk on.

3. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Well, I dont lurk, but I have lots of experince with them from the early days of when I first posted my fics.

I'd just like to say to the writers that have lurker problems, keep writing and eventualy you'll get more readers.

4. JadenSkywalker

JadenSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    _3MD_PsychoSniper, thanks for the advice. But maybe there's just no one reading my story. 8-}

I lurked around for a long time, mostly because I felt that since I wasn't writing, I didn't really feel comfortable in the fan fic forums. Now I'm trying to de-lurk though, mostly because since I'm writing and I know how much I value replies, I understand that I should give them to others. :)

5. mad4dos

mad4dos Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2003
    im here there and every ware
    ie you name it i might read it :)
    mad4dos

6. Cat_Orange

Cat_Orange Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 18, 2002
    I'm a lurker - especially when it comes to stories. I read alot of stories that I don't post at. Mostly the story has 20 or more pages and the author is very well known and has regulars reviews. Sometimes I just feel that I'm intruding in a big friendship circle or something.

Alright. I'll close my gob now.

[face_blush]

7. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Just to let you know, I know very few groups or authors who will mind if you "intrude" on their little circle. Most of them want you to intrude. Read what TKeira_Lea said up above, how she declared a week "de-lurking week". I know I've been in your position before, but I dared to speak up in both TKL's story and obaona's vignettes (the one about old Kyp talking with Spirit Luke, I believe ;) ) It takes courage but I know you can do it! :D

Jae Angel

8. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm slowly becoming less of a lurker.

I have been lurking around here since last Fall but didn't join until Feb. (as you can see). Then I didn't know how to work the boards. Now I am trying to comment, especially if I like something someone has written. It is a slow process of de-lurking.

When I first found fan fiction I figured no one would want my opinion anyway. Then I started to write my own stories on ff.n and realized how much fun feed back really is, so I try to give feedback when I can. I keep thinking I will post one of my stories here but have yet to get up the courage.

De-lurking can be a slow and painful process but I am uping this thread to encourage lurkers to start de-lurking. Writers would love to hear from you! ;) :)

9. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Believe me, Cat_Orange, no regular is going to make faces at you if you pop in. Indeed, after a few posts you'll find out you're a "regular" yourself. :)

I know I added 2 new readers in my last story, who are now "regulars." But to be sure, I try to remember to wave at the shadows and acknowledge the Loyal Lurkers. :) I just hope they are enjoying it!

Hurray for Lurkers! Especially when they become writers & readers, too! [face_love]

10. KirneySlane22

KirneySlane22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2003
    *sigh*

I suppose that I should add myslf to the loyal lurkers that are out there. Even my sig aknowledges that I'm a lurker. *pionts down to sig*

But, I do want everyone to know that even lurkers can be very loyal fans of certin stories. I know that I come here at least twice a day to see if any of my favorite stories have been updates. I might not have time to post most days, but on those that I have posted on, I make the time to read. I just don't feel that my comments, which are usually the same thing that others say, make much of a difference.

Is that bad? I hope not. Being the shy, overly-busy person that I am, I get picky of what I say and to whom. I shouldn't feel bad about that, IMO, right?

I do understand why authors want feedback on their stories; I have stories myself, both here and at other places. And when I feel as though I have something to say, I say it. But when I don't feel as though I have something to contribute, I don't. Thats not bad reasoning, is it?

Kirney

11. Jedi_Jessie_Anne

Jedi_Jessie_Anne Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2004
    Semi-lurker. I usually do post once or twice so the author knows I am reading, but there are one or two places where I reply more often.

12. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    *whacks all of the lurkers* Idiots you're the ones who make good writers stop writing for lack of replies! *again hits the lurkers* But whatever floats your boat. :p

13. MagnaZero

MagnaZero Jedi Master star 2

Aug 1, 2003
    Semi-Lurker here. :)

14. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    The Frogmeister made a very good point. :)

I never know what to say. When I'm impressed w/ someone's writing, it seems trite to just say, "I loved it!" It doesn't sound sincere. And after all the work the author has put into his/her story, s/he definitely merits something more substantial.

So then I try to write out why someone's work is so sterling (and there are a lot of excellent writers on these boards), but then you get tongue-tied. Will the praise seem *too* fulsome? Are you typing the exact same thing as before (even though the comments may be equally valid both times)? Will another writer (writer Xxx) feel slighted that you've said "Yyy" about writer Zzz's story?

I know I sound really stupid--I'll concede that I'm not the brightest bulb in the box--but I find myself second-guessing every comment I type, and then I wind up w/ WB. WB just in trying to convey sincere admiration & appreciation of someone's wonderful story.

So, um, I'm sorry. :( I suppose reading w/o commenting is sort of like theft.

15. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    OK guys, here is why you should step outside your comfort zone and de-lurk:

I used to lurk. (Hey, that word really does look/sound sort of ominous and shadowy doesn't it.) It has been several months since my last lurk.

No, really, I stopped lurking and I have discovered a truely awesome power of a replier. Sometimes you can say something that will make someone write something you want to read. Insert evil overlord cackle here. Now that is power, people. Making someone invent something. And for such a little outgo on your part really.

When I lurked I found that sometimes stories I liked didn't keep going. And I realized that the writer, who has no idea how many people are reading his or her story, might get discouraged or take it elsewhere to post it. Well, that is just plain sad. So I now try to post on every story I read. Lately, thanks to DRL, there are some stories that I haven't posted to for a while because I haven't had the chance to read for a while but when I get back to them I intend to post again. Even if the story is finished. The author still will like knowing that someone enjoyed their tale.

Don't be shy. Just a simple "Hi, I'm reading. I'll be back." is nice to see. The "inner circle", if there is one, will be happy to open up and let you in. Don't feel that your reply has to be fancy or different from someone else's or mine some gem from a story post. Trust me, a simple "me like" is nice to read too.

People write for lots of reasons but they post their work because they want someone to read it. So if you read their work, let them know. You don't have to post after every story post like some of us [face_blush]. Once in a while is just fine. It is nice for a writer to know that people have stuck with it though. So if you only post once at the beginning and read through to the end, do please post again at the end so that the author knows you stuck with it.

Great thread Breezy, I wonder how I missed it earlier?

KD

16. Calandria

Calandria Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    ummmmm what do flakey lurkers like me do?

I'll post on one day... and say shove it the next and not post anything in any story/thread for a week... (but still read through the stuff) and then go on a posting spree the next week...

17. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I think the biggest mistake people can make is to think their replies are trite or inadequate. The very simple "I loved this post. Thank you for writing it." means the world to me when it comes up. Nine words really can lift a writer's spirits.

As for the idea that you're intruding on a group, I understand how it can seem that way. For example, the group of ladies that have sprung up in the Obi-Wan discussion thread are very tight-knit, and I've heard that expressed before about us. But we just happen to know each other well because we all started posting and responding around the same time - we'd really like to know others too! If you're lurking on that thread or on the related story thread, please say hello - we want you to join us. :)

Cheers,

Shaindl

18. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Hmm, i'll poke my nose in I suppose.

I used to lurk and still do occasionally. Y'know something? That lil thing that says when you joined and the post count can occasionally really yell newbie and make you feel nervous. Okay, that was random, probably the lack of sleep thing. But anyways.

Yeah, what someone before me said about even a short reply can make an author's day. You know that song Diamonds are a GIrl's best friend? I think it should've been Reviews are an Author's Best friend.

No but seriously, reviews encourage me to write stuff that's not from my little AU world and all.

As to my old lurking.... well I've had a lot more fun since I delerked in several stories. Or actually, let me rephrase that: after I delurked after trying to catch up on an author's set of stories when they write novels. (ie: NJ, InyriForge, etc etc)But sometiems lurking is unavodable because of that lovely little thing called DRL and you only have time to pop in a quickly read a post and then you have to run again. Trust me, been there, done that. Actualyl, been there, still doing that.

But posting in the group story thing can be a ton of fun. For example, I just started posting in the third story for NYCGirl's trilogy, I think it's called Family Ties, and already I'm already getting along quite well with everyone. Well, the plotting to explode thigns might help... but anyways. (Yes I know that I tend to ramble a lot.)

Okay, I'm just going to shut up now before I ramble on for ten pages like I've done before, due to no sleep. Shutting up now.

:Targeter:

19. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I think EVERYONE lurks at some point. Some make a habit of it, some just feel like being quiet for a bit and some of us get nailed by a busload of DRL. I'm guilty. I'd love to meet somebody who could honestly say they've never lurked ;)

20. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    I lurked around here for a looong time before I ever posted due largely to the fact that I did almost feel like I would be intruding on a circle of people that already knew each other. It sounds stupid, but it's true. (I know. I'm bit paranoid.)

I don't think I ever would have posted on that Obi-Wan challenge thread if it weren't for the whole "anonymous sock" thing. I found, however, that people are really pretty nice and don't seem to mind you jumping into the fray at all. OK, maybe I don't get all the inside jokes, but I haven't been around here that long either. Jumping into that insanity is probably the most fun I've had on these boards.

As someone who has decided to brave posting a story on these boards I have to say that a simple "Hi, I'm reading this" can be the difference between a story dying or not. I almost killed mine three times because I thought no one liked it, but then someone would delurk out of the blue and say "I hope this doesn't die" (it was usually Lurkalidth).

21. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hi Opal!

Yes, we're very glad you jumped into the fray, too! :) Glad you've been able to stand our, um, interesting, sense of humour - you'll get all the inside jokes sooner (are you really sure you want to?). :p

One thing I should have added to my response above is that PMs are really good too. If you're too shy/paranoid/whatever to drop into the public forum of a thread, a PM is wonderful. Actually, as I just told someone, I think that a PM is sometimes even better, because it's a much more personal contact. You as the reader, have taken the time to find the author's contact info and write up a personal note. That means an incredible amount.

So come on - write your favourite authors a short PM. I promise you'll make their day. :)

Shaindl

22. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I used to lurk and if I hadn't delurked I never would have met the wonderful friends I now have or gotten up the courage to try my hand at the whole writing thing. I too was hesitant to reply fearing that the group on that writers thread would look at me like I was intruding. Now that I have my own story threads I know how silly I was to think that way. I treasure my regular group and smile everytime they reply to my posts but I honestly get an even bigger kick out of a lurker popping in randomly to say hi and good job. New faces are a delight to writers.

Shaindl was right about PM's being a good way to say hi and to let the writer know you are around and enjoying. I have received some of the nicest messages from readers I never even knew read my stuff. That is always such a wonderful treat.

I've told my lurkers before that I'd be thrilled even if they only posted a face just to let me know they are out there. :) Someone mentioned having a Lurkers Day . I think that would be a blast if all of the lurkers took at least that one day to pop in on the stories they read and make their presence known. :D

23. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I lurk during those times when I'm too tired to really comprehend what's going on in the posts or only have a few minutes to quickly read. I do try to post catch-up replies. If I'm just starting to get into one of the novels, I usually lurk until I've caught up.

The worst part about lurking is that I never remember which stories I'm following! :p Bad habit, I should fix that by posting.

As for the tight-knit groups, I can definitely see why it's uncomfortable and not a little bit scary for lurkers to de-lurk. But it's worth it to just jump right in - I did that, and now I have great friends (even if they're SO OLD :D ). The regular posters will always have their inside jokes, but new jokes are created everyday. The sock challenge was a great thing for the Obi-Wan thread, because it brought in so many more people, and the regulars really made them feel welcome. Hey, I gave the newbies olleJ Awards, didn't I? :D Plus, you never know when the little things you say will make an author think about what should happen next in the story.

Ahnd if it's a story that's been long since completed, and you worry about upping it from a year ago, PMs work nicely :)

24. DarkDroid

DarkDroid Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    I lurk when I'm bored. I'm mostly a shy person too. So I guess I'm a semi-lurker.

25. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    For those that are afraid of an "Inner Circle" Normally we'll let you in! Even let you wear the stupid helmet sometimes. ;) j/k but as I said ICs like to have more people, and authors like ICs and then they'll write more if they have a bigger IC expecting them to post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.