M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Miana Kenobi, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XCell Jedi Master

star 4
    Katara is fourteen, two years older than Aang. And Zuko is two years older than her. Why is that OK, but Aang being younger isn't? Because he's a boy, and boys should be older and taller than girls?[face_tired]

I favor Kataang because it was against such stereotypes, as opposed to the fan-made, bad boy attraction of Zutara. There's more to a relationship than 'looking good together' you know.
  2. Fel_Freak228 Jedi Master

star 4
    WARNING: RANT
    I don't have a problem with older girl/younger guy relationships. But I do have a problem with a pre-pubescent 12 year-old boy being in a romantic relationship with a post-pubescent 14 year old girl. I'd be fine with it once they're both a few years older, but at that age, it's just unrealistic. In real life, i'd be like having a freshman dating a 7th grader. It just doesn't happen. But give that 7th grader a few years, have them both be in high school, then a relationship has more of a chance of happening.
    Yet a freshman girl having a relationship with a junior guy is much more common, almost normal (at least around where I live). Not because the guy has to be "older and taller", but because he'd be at the same maturity level (Girls mature faster than guys, no one can argue with that), thus he'd be a more suitable companion.

For the record, I don't ship Zutara because of "bad boy" attraction. Neither do I ship it because I just think they "look good together". I genuinely believe a Zuko/Katara romance would have made for an amazing story. But even though it didn't happen...I'm still happy with the way their relationship was developed throughout season 3. The 'Zuko taking the bullet' scene is one of my favorites in the entire series because it shows how much he had changed, how he was now willing to give his life in order to save Katara's, a girl who'd been his enemy for so long and who'd hated his living guts, but (through a series of fortunate events) was now his friend, someone he could trust, someone he could talk to like he did with Uncle.....*sigh* why didn't you happen Zutara??!! Why??!! *sob*:_|......[face_plain].....[face_blush].....:p.....[face_laugh]

Apparently they want the names to be more....I don't know how to say it....ethnic? e.g, 'Avatar' is going to be pronounced more like the original Sanskrit word 'Avatar' which means 'god in human form' (or something close to that:p), which is where Mike and Bryan got the name Avatar to begin with. The only difference is that the first A is long, not short, so it sounds kinda like 'Of-atar'. And Aang is pronounced like the director Ang Lee's name is. 'Ong'. Sokka is now Soh-ka, like how that Hahn jerk said it.:p I don't know why exactly, maybe just because it sounds less silly to people who've never seen the show, more mature. I kinda like it actually, it's been a rumor for so long I guess I've just gotten used to it.
    I think those are the only changes...I haven't heard of any more.
  3. XCell Jedi Master

star 4
    I can understand that, especially for the real world, but what does it really matter if Aang hasn't started puberty yet? He's probably going through it or getting close by the end of the show, given how his voice has changed. And yes, those relationships do happen, maybe not that often, which is probably why Kataang didn't happen until the very end. And let's keep in mind they're both kids, so it's not like a 'serious' romantic relationship would be going on. Light kissing and holding hands is the most they'd do.
    That's another stereotype, and yeah I can argue that, since people are individuals and we don't all mature at the same pace. Plus Aang and Katara are both mature for their ages. Saving the world and all.. Aang was more goofy, but he got more and more serious as the show went on. He just doesn't have a buffed up body like Zuko and Sokka do, or a real deep voice.

Keep in mind, I don't mean to criticize every Zutara fan out there, I just think some of these fans ship like this for rather shallow reasons.
  4. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Aang's age doesn't bug me. Sure he's 12, and can be really immature, but he also matures incredibly throughout the show. So by 3rd season, I'll buy it. If it was Season 1 Aang with Katara, maybe not.

As for Zutara, I dunno how to defend it. To me it would just work.

The longer trailer was attached to How to Train Your Dragon, which I saw tonight. I know it's probably going to suck, but man I was so excited to watch it on the big screen.
  5. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    If you're going to be opposed to Kataang, be opposed because Aang is 112, not 12. Technically speaking. Haha. Talk about your May Decembers...
  6. Spider-Fan Force Ghost

star 4
    Despite having been born 112 years ago, Aang's still biologically and emotionally 12 as he was in stasis the whole time, not aging or growing.
  7. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
  8. Fel_Freak228 Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_laugh] Satire is truly dead.

I guess it might just be me then. My insides cringe whenever I hear stuff about 13 year olds getting into relationships.

(and XCell, you really think that the Kataang kiss in the finale is considered "light"?? Light kissing means peck on the lips...not makeout.[face_laugh] not trying to be mean, sorry if I come across that way, I just thought that was funny)

Ch'yeah, no kidding they do. And in doing so they give the rest of us a bad name.[face_frustrated]

Because they make a great team, and despite what others say, they really do have a lot in common.;)

9. XCell Jedi Master

star 4
    The final Kataang kiss I wouldn't define it as 'making out'. It was a long, mild kiss where they held eachother.

I think Katara serves better as a sisterly figure to Zuko than a romantic interest. Just as Iroh became a replacement-father for Zuko in place of Ozai, I think Katara became the replacement-sister in place of Azula. They're both pretty much opposites of Zuko's real family members.
  10. Fel_Freak228 Jedi Master

star 4
    Mild? o_O

And I think Katara serves better as a best friend/sisterly figure to Aang than a romantic interest. So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.;) But I do sort of agree with what you said about Katara replacing Azula as sister figure in Zuko's life.

(BTW, where did the original A:TLA thread go? Or has this one become the overall A:TLA thread? Just bringing it up because this whole page has almost nothing to do with M. Night's The Last Airbender.:p)
  11. XCell Jedi Master

star 4
    ^Yeah, I'd say that's rather mild. Not exactly light, not exactly wild, steamy making out.

I'd say Katara serves better as a sister/mother friend to Aang too. But if they had to pair her up with someone, and it had to be Aang or Zuko, I'm more satisfied they went with Aang, and Zuko with Mai (though I did like Song and Jin). I actually think both Aang and Zuko seem more like characters who wouldn't end up with anyone at all. Katara, I dunno. Maybe Jet, if they didn't.. y'know, 'end' him.
  12. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    LOL, too true.

And the thread for the TV show is here:

A:TLA thread
  13. Fel_Freak228 Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_laugh] oh the irony...the last few pages of that thread were mostly talking about the live action. Or should I say....the casting of the live action....[face_tired]

On the topic of Jet, I think it's pretty much confirmed he won't be in the first movie:(...Do you guys think he'll be in the second? I'm really hope so...he's one of my favorite minor characters.[face_praying]

14. XCell Jedi Master

star 4
    Jet had a cool design, and cool weapons. I liked the brainwash Dai Li scene.

I was kind of expecting him to be the one fangirls go for, not Zuko. I mean, tan, handsome guy vs. pale guy with yellow-red eyes and huge ugly scar on nearly half his face? Not to mention that nearly-bald head with a dopey ponytail in season one.. Oh well, they're both pretty much jerks.

15. Jek_Windu Jedi Master

star 4
    Zuko had more screentime and was the Woobie. Plus, Zuko's evil was made much more sympathetic than Jet's manipulation of Katara.
  16. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Jet was a jerk, so he got no sympathy from me. :p

As for Jet not being in the movie, I'm not so sad. I think the only people I'm gonna super miss if they don't make it in is Bumi and Piando. Maybe Jeong Jeong.
  17. XCell Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, at least Jet tried to redeem himself. And he had a rather sad death, being brainwashed and made a puppet by Long Feng, who used Jet's weaknesses to his advantage, then killed him.

I wish we'd seen Longshot and Smellerbee again. I hope the movie will mean another series or season.[face_praying]
  18. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    And we've got another trailer, and this time we actually have Appa (!!!!) and Zuko actually talks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3N362--RKw

Though WTH, they're making it 3D. This makes utterly no sense, especially with Frank Marshall's numerous rants about people taking a 2D film shot on 35mm and showing them on IMAX or in 3D. It means it'll be a lame 3D job done in Post and will be about as effective as Alice in Wonderland or Clash of the Titans was, which means not at all.

It's just because they want people to pay more for 3D tickets. Jerks.
  19. XCell Jedi Master

star 4
    Avatar gets the 3D treatment. Surprise?8-}
  20. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    They could easily keep Bumi out of the first film and make mention of him at the end like Master Pakku from the Northern Water Tribe did when he's sending Aang and the gang off after defending the city. Only instead of naming him as "King Bumi" he could tell Aang to learn Earthbending from the King of Omashu.

I just thought of that yesterday when I watched the last episode of Book 1.

I still think the casting is pretty poor. Katara and Sokka are particularly horrible. As is Yueh. And I really don't like skinny Iroh. So wrong. I'm now reserving judgement on Noah Ringer, simply because they seem to avoid showing much of him at all. Though I think his "Ba Gua" moves look pretty terrible there at the end against Zuko. That fight in the cartoon is straight up distinctively Ba Gua based.
  21. Fel_Freak228 Jedi Master

star 4
    Zuko isn't the only pale-faced emo boy who has legions of fangirls. Ever hear of this little thing called Twilight?:p (does this make me weird because I'm a Zuko fangirl yet I hate Twilight?)

Yeah, Jet was pretty much a jerk in season 1, but his brainwashing, healing, and redemption by death in season 2 made him a favorite of mine.[face_love]

^QFT^
    Yeah, I pretty much hyperventilating last night when that trailer was released. I almost died.

I was expecting it to get the 3D treatment. If they didn't, Last Airbender wouldn't stand a chance in the box office. But I really do think that it's conversion will fare better than Clash's did, simply because of Airbender's different cinematography style. It's fight scenes don't seem to be as quick-cut, meaning there will be less going on on the screen, which means less shaking and thus less 3D-induced headaches.[face_peace]

Ooooo....me likey this idea. Have them head to Omashu, only to find it taken by the Fire Nation. Great way to start the second movie.[face_mischief]

22. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Two new posters:

http://lastairbenderfilm.com/2010/05/04/airbender-in-3d-posters/

I'm digging the Aang one.
  23. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper and Rumor Naysayer

Manager
    star 6
    The Blue Spirit
    [image=http://teamsubmarine.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/sbn-fonzie.jpg]

In 3D
    [image=http://www.p0stwh0res.com/images/ThumbsDown.jpg]
  24. Jek_Windu Jedi Master

star 4
    You win 5/5 mics for that. An interesting question comes to mind: who wins in craziness- Gladiator's Commodus or Azula?
  25. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.