main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mac or PC

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by dookukidz, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Does FCP let you record audio directly to the timeline? Can you apply fx and alterations to individual clips on the timeline, or are any effects applied to the whole video track? Can individual clips be panned and cropped really easily, or do settings need to be applied to the actual track also? Does FCP allow you to load almost any type of media file directly onto the timeline? File types such as mpegs (type 1 or 2), wmv files, DivX avi's, mp3 files, wma, etc? Is an automatic dissovle (which can de disabled) created when you slide the start of one clip over the end of another another for video and audio files? Can the timeline be set to snap to bars:beats:ticks for working with music at a specific tempo? Can audio cds and video cds be burnt straight from the timeline? Can fade ins and fade outs be adjusted by easily dragging the top end of a clip? And can the fade type be easily adjusted by right clicking on the fade and selecting the style of fade?

I'm really curious as to what's so good about FCP. I've read the specs, but the only features that impress me are the colour correction and HD support.

2. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    actually there are better programs for pc than permiere.. (or so i've heard anyway..) Speed Razor is one.. it comes packaged with Newtek's Video Toaster[2] its supposed to be a really nice system.. as for mac vs pc i've noticed that the debates alyways end up talking about which processor is better and blah blah.. and i want to point out the processor isnt the signle most performance driving part of your computer.. just think about it if you had a crap chipset (motherboard) that could bearly send any data to say a top of the line P4 Athlon or G4 then your performance would be siginificantly reduced would it not? now i dont know the specs for Mac mobos.. but in the pc world you can have two identical systems with the exception of the motherboard chipset .. in which case the one with a superior chipset would win hands down then after the chipset you ahve to consider the speed of the ram.. the type of hard drive interface (ATA33/66/100/133 SCSI or Serial ATA*drool:p*) etc.. there are many performance determining things in a computer.. the mac may as well have the better processor.. but the pc may have the better thru put on the mobo/ram/hd or the other way around...(i wouldnt know i dont know much about mac hardware :))

i do have a question tho.. is a G4 64 or 32 bit?

3. swepisodeii

swepisodeii Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2001
    I think it has to do with the fact that FCP is what people working in the industry use, so if you want to "break out" someday using your fanfilm-making experience in a real world paying job you should learn it.

I know that many pros use premiere, but it seems like FCP gets more press.

I am a PC user but a impoverished Mac fan at heart. And the reason I'd like a Mac is for FCP, it's "the standard."

There are also some other great editors for the PC that could possibly take FCP to the cleaners, though that's way too bold a statement to stand behind.

As for the original question - either way you're good. I drooled over Macs for a long time then bought a PC not because of the specs, but because of the price.

The best Mac I could get into for my cheap self was the eMAc. Nice machine, good value, but not upgradeable like I wanted, so I went PC and got a P4 2.0 ghz, 256ddr, 100gig7200, dvdrom, cdrw, 64mb nvidia, soundblaster5.1, firewire, win XP, 17" flatcrt samsung, etc. for about $1300.

(I know. I know. Dang specs always come out!)

I realize the mhz myth, I'm not comparing specs PC to Mac, but my PC runs premiere editing fullscreen video without a hiccup. It does what I need it to do. even after XP is probably hogging half my ram!

What kind of budget are you on? Software is cheap (compared to full price) for students on either platform. The hardware up front will be the biggest blow to your wallet IMO.

The point is PCs are a really good value right now. And btw I HATE HATE HATE HATE win 98se. horrible. but XP has treated me well... you should check it out.

Macs have a specialty niche which will always allow it a higher price. the allure of owning a G4 tower and cinema display is hard to dismiss if you have the cash...

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    Bigreddog - My (insert diety here). . . your post sounded exactly like one of those switch commercials.

5. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Buy the system you want...

Issue settled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.