Mace Windu

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by hear+soul, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. CrazySaber Jedi Master

star 4
    I love the character Windu, he's awesome and powerful. I think SLJ could've done a better job, though.
  2. Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Master

star 4
    I think he was a wasted character who did nothing whatsoever in TPM and very very little in AOTC. I don't really understand why people think he's "bad ass". Because he says corny lines such as "this party's over" which sound nothing like Star Wars dialogue. I'd say the only reason people think he's a "bad ass" is because he's played by Sam Jackson.
  3. Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Master

star 4
    I vaguely agree with Pizza-the-Hutt. I don't hate Mace Windu, but I don't like him. He's much better in the EU, but film-wise, SLJ is really too much of a presence for such a second-score character. I feel there's less Mace Windu in the personality as much as their is Samuel L. Jackson. It's really not the fault of Jackson's acting, either, more his presence and lack of development provided by Lucas. There's alot of good ideas surrounding the Windu character, but there's not much pulling it into a cohesive whole for me to like it.
  4. hear+soul Force Ghost

star 6
    I think he'll get a pretty big role in ROTS.

I think we'll all like him after the new movie.

:D

However, as far as the prequels go, how much more character developement did Yoda get?

not much.

And he certainly got more CD than any other council member, so...

CD developement in the jedi order listed in order of most to least:

Obi Wan Kenobi [main character]
    Anakin Skywalker [main character]
    Yoda [classic character]
    Mace Windu
    younglings
    other council members
    other knights

That's about how it should be, IMHO.
  5. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I wouldn't go as far as saying he is a useless character, and I definately wouldn't go as far as saying he hasn't done much in the films. He fulfills his role as the lead Council member, and nothing more. I don't see that as a disappointment.
  6. Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Master

star 4
    Like I said, it's not a matter of how much he did, it's the lack of matchup between Jackson's spotlight presence and the character's background nature. I think they clash too much. Instead of being Mace Windu, the character is more Jackson's personality interjected throughout, with bits of a Jedi Master coming through. Which is fine, but I would have liked to seen more cohesive development in Mace being a separate personality than Jackson. When I think about it, it's not even Lucas' fault so much, since Mace certainly does his duty as a character. Just...too much presence in Jackson.

This being said, I never hated him, and I actually started to like him in the EU. I'm just hoping the trend continues and I come full circle with Shatterpoint to really appreciate him as a character.
  7. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I think of each film an actor is in as a new opporotunity for them to play a different part. Jackson has played many characters, some in the background, some even as cameos, and some main characters. I personally don't think they clash at all, unlike the majority. He still has his presence, but his job isn't to steal the show.
  8. hear+soul Force Ghost

star 6
    I didn't feel like he stole the show.

'Course, when I watch a movie or read a book, I completely immerse myself in it.

I don't care who's playin who after the first 15 min. For the rest of that movie, SLJ wasn't even there, just Mace.

I don't see how Mace is just SLJ in a robe with a lightsaber. He plays teh part as it should be played. He is a solemn, all-business, wise jedi master, who can kick ass.

He is great at that. :)
  9. DarthNotsonice Force Ghost

star 5
    It would have been a nice nod to Tarantino if he'd played him with a jerrycurl and sideburns

imagine the title.

Sith Fiction LOL
  10. hear+soul Force Ghost

star 6
    Reminds me of Dave Chapelle as Prince.

:p

What did you all think of his outfit?

They say teh actors pretty much choose their look within some guidlines.
  11. mace-windooku Jedi Padawan

12. hear+soul Force Ghost

star 6
    :eek:

I'd never have guessed!

:p
  13. Drumstick Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think both the role and the actor are getting better with each movie.

In the first movie, he sort of randomly popped up. No backstory. SLJ's portrayal was so earnest that it almost pulled you out of the movie. Besides, the character was so restrained he was almost boring.

But by ATOC, it got much better. The character started to reflect SLJ's 'bad-ass' reputation and the actor himself seemed much freer and natural. Not sure if it was a case of the role changing to suit the actor or SLJ just getting better. Maybe a mix of both. And the Gillard treatment can make any character loveable.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.