main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maces distrust of anakin

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AusCop, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AusCop

AusCop Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2005
    Not sure if this has been discussed before,but does anyone know why mace doesn't trust anakin? Mace even says it to anakin and he doesn't even question it! i'm wondering weather it has to do with mace telling anakin to stay put in aotc and then anakin goes off to rescue obi wan anyway!

2. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    He (correctly) sees Anakin as impulsive, headstrong, and emotionally driven. These traits can lead to the dark side. And they did.

EDIT: Ah, forgot about the "angry and impatient" part. ;)

3. ulien

ulien Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    remember that anakin was older than he was supposed to be while entering the Temple so some Jedi could already be against it, and Mace could be one of them. We don`t know what there were discussing after young anakin`s trial in the Temple Room. Maybe Mace was sensing something, maybe he jest thougt the boy has no patiiance and to much anger and fear instead...

4. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    a lot of maybes those were[face_thinking]

5. TerranOvermind

TerranOvermind Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2004
    *tidbits from the starwars.com Databank*

Still, Windu fostered a mistrust of Skywalker, feeling that he was too powerful for his age and too unpredictable.

Windu had deep reservations -- it was very dangerous, he sensed, to keep Anakin and Palpatine close together.

Anakin Skywalker arrived, disobeying Windu's direct order.

I think this shows that Mace's distrust in Anakin was directly linked to Mace's inability to control him. Instead of having faith in the prophecy of the Chosen One and allowing things to happen according to the will of the Force, he wanted to have a more direct role in galactic events than that of a spectator. This selfishness, the darkness within, the pride, etc. plagued him, and it led to his downfall. Mace seemed to be a symbol of how the Jedi had progressed over 1000 years. They had a sense of superiority and arrogance that was very un-Jedi like. They were of the light side, of course, but there was a festering seed of the dark side within most of them. Perhaps that is how the Dark Side clouded their vision. It accentuated the darkness within each of them to the point where the light could no longer pierce through. The Jedi had become disloyal to the Force; the Dark Side took advantage of this and disrupted the balance. Thus, the need and prophecy of the Chosen One came to pass. When he arrived, however, his own kind didn't recognize him as such, at least very clearly, much like the Pharisees did in the time of Jesus.

Bottom line: Mace wanted control that he wasn't entitled to. His disloyalty to the Force ultimately destroyed him.

6. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    his disloyalty of the force or anakin's betrayal + palpatine's lightning ??[face_thinking]

7. TerranOvermind

Mar 30, 2004

Death by lightning was incidental. Had Mace trusted in the Force and the prophecy, Anakin would have fulfilled his destiny as the Chosen One and Mace as well as the Jedi Order would still be alive. Failing to trust in the Force (i.e. disloyalty) led to his destruction.

8. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    *Massive sarcasm to follow*

Because he's black.

*Massive sarcasm over*

Anakin is unhinged as a Jedi, he is not trustworthy! Mace is a wise Jedi Master, and he senses this. Remember, he sense order 66 before it happens ("I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi") The Mace hate is unwarrented. He was wise to doubt Anakin; look at what Anakin ends up doing!

9. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Even in TPM,When Anakin stands infront of them as a pure little boy,Mace knows how powerful he can become,and he is fearful and old enough to form attachments,so put 2 and 2 together,a powerful being with the potential to fall to the darkside isn't someone you want to trust.

Mace says Putting Anakin and Palps together is dangerous,and he doesn't trust him. Obv it doesnt take a genius to figure out Anakin has some problems at the time and is very vulnerable to the darkside,so do you blame him? Deep down,he knows Anakin is the chosen one,and someone who can bring balance to the force also has great chance of destroying it too.

Also,Anakin and Palpataine are good friends,Anakin even looks up to him. The whole council knows how dire their friendship can be,but most trusted Anakin to do the right thing when the time came,except Mace. Mace knew there was a darkness to Anakin,and he even says he can feel the confusion and fear within him, and he doesn't want Anakin to come just incase he does use the wrong impulse at the wrong time. He even gives Anakin his trust as a reward if he can stay behind while Mace takes care of business.

He should've known Anakin wouldn't stay away,however. Then he could've saw how dangerous Sidious really is,and maybe the whole mess would've been avoided.

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I don't think that his distrust of Anakin really had anything to do with his downfall. Once Anakin told him about Sidious, they were instantly on the same side. Anakin only held back because he wanted Palpatine's power to save Padme. It kinda makes it more tragic that they distrusted each other, forgave each other, only for Anakin to betray him.

11. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Many things lead Mace to have no trust in Anakin...from each movie

TPM: Anakin is a strange kid from a foreign land, that the Jedi have no knowledge about. He is much older than the common age children are trained. He has attachments, he is a slave, so perhaps (If not most likely) he is a criminal.

AOTC: Anakin is restless, and eagotistical [sp?]. He has disobeyed his Master several times. He is often thinking highly of himself. He takes action before thinking. Far off from Jedi-material.

ROTS: Kills a helpless prisoner, has a close relationship with Palpatine who the Jedi are suspicious of. He still thinks highly of himself, and he feels that he can accomplish things better than his own Master. He takes orders from his fellow Jedi very reluctantly. He is aggressive and angry.

I think that gives Mace a great reason not to trust Anakin...;)

Sorry if I missed anything [face_thinking]

12. Chosen_One1

Chosen_One1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2005
    I always thought Mace was jealous of the fact that Anakin was the Chosen One. Plus Mace knew he couldn't control Anakin's power which made him nervous, just as Palpatine said.

13. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    How in the bloody HELL is he a criminal in TPM?

Oh and lest us not forget that he has the highest Midichlorian count EVER and was quite dangerous in TPM - plus too old to be trained, even as a what, simply a 9, 10 year old boy?

14. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Mace doesen't trust Anakin because he is exactly what a Jedi shouldn't be. He shows no respect, and no self control. Who wouldn't distrust him?

15. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    In addition to some of the things mentioned above....I always felt a bit of jealousy out of Mace toward Anakin. Up until that point Mace WASthe prodigy Jedi...youngest to attain Master status etc. His fire was dimmed.

16. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    thats an insteresting take, but i diagree for different reasons.

this thread should make you think less about mace's individual statements and more about the purpose of his character.

mace is the mouthpiece for the jedi's thoughts and feelings. they are less his own thoughts and more the thoughts of the collective.

mace makes observations throughout the saga. for example, he says that murder is not in dooku's character. he isnt the only one who thinks this. he is speaking for yoda and the council as well.

when he scolds anakin, this is the same deal.

he is also the one who senses a plot to destroy the jedi. this is not just his own feeling. its the progression of the situation and answers the feelings of the others.

the point here is that not everything mace says or feels is just his own independant thinking. as said before, he is the acting mouthpiece. i cant really think of a moment where anyone disagrees with him on these major points, so it seems pretty consistent.

17. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    I know some people will laugh at me saying this , but that post about Mace TerranOvermind although very well thought out , may be too extreme. I absolutely believe that there was a Pride factor re: Mace and his idea of the "Chosen one" and Anakin as a trustworthy Jedi. and i for one do believe that Mace let this Cloud his Vision and judgement, and made him Blind to Anakin's potential to fulfill the Prophecy in ROTS. the superiority complex and arrogance was not entirely exclusive to Mace alone, other Jedi were guilty of that as well , and Yoda verbalized that in AOTC. i also agree that Mace perhaps took it upon himself too much to right the wrongs , and his lack of Faith in Anakin convinced him to keep him out of the conflict. which is the Chosen ones sole purpose. to destroy the Sith. i think Maynard is correct in the point that although Mace did make errors in Judgement , the Jedi Council did work as a whole and there was a Voice that was often characterized By Yoda at times , Mace at times , and others depending on the situation. I think that those flaws, the arrogance , sense of superiority were factors that Made it possible for the Sith to capitalize on them ,but i don't think those could neccessarily be classified Unloyal to the Force or festering or harboring the Dark side in them . they were guilty of Overconfidence , and Arrogance IMO. but they always sought to serve the Force. and Whether the Force saw it otherwise is Debatable. clearly the Jedi lost their way. but how much of that had to do with the Darkside in them . i just don't know . but i do think the Whole arrest situation was handled incorrectly.

But a very good post, and Maynard makes excellent points also. i think i have come to realize that no one Jedi is to Blame , and that they all most be counted . but that's not to say that Mace did not do things that directly aided or played into the Sith plan.

18. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    As others have said Mace doesn't trust him because he can partly see the warning signs assoicated with Anakin. He still belives Anakin to be the chozen one, but it is obvious he shows his lack of trust and does seem abrupt with Anakin.

19. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    =D= Dude, thats awesome, I agree completly

20. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    I have to side with maynard and duggy on this one.....well said you two

21. TerranOvermind

Mar 30, 2004
    Maynard, Duggy, and I are seemingly on the same side. They just emphasized the following phrases I posted previously:
    I agree that Mace was the voice of the Jedi and his actions alone were not responsible for the fall of the Order. However, if Mace is a symbol and the Jedi agree with what he says, then Mace's actions and feelings represent and correspond with the characteristics and failings of the Order.

The disloyalty I speak of is their failure to trust in the Force when it came to the prophecy. If they had allowed the Chosen One to fulfill his destiny, trusting completely in the Force, they would still be alive. They were loyal servants of the Force in every other way. But when it came to having faith in the Chosen One, a young being that, to the Jedi, had no business or right having the power and responsibility bestowed upon him by the Force, they "fought" against it, being distrusting and disloyal to the Force in this respect alone. This disloyalty became their (and Mace's) downfall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.