main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mace's Duel with Darth Sidious

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ChosenOneKK, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChosenOneKK

ChosenOneKK Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2009
    When I watched Revenge of the Sith, I wasnt sure if Mace REALLY beat Sidious in their duel. It seems like Sidious let him win so that Anakin would think that the jedi had betrayed the republic. Mace was the 2nd most powerful jedi at the time but I dont know if he couldve overcome Sidious. Was it a real duel or just a setup?

2. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    Based on the commentary, Mace did win the duel fair and square, although Palpatine was exaggerating his weakness.
    Personally I prefer the idea that Palptine planned it though, makes him far more manipulative.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Palpatine could've ended the duel here:
    [image=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z274/EyeBashBadWriting/NoStab01.jpg]
    It was a combination of getting drilled in the grill and fighting not to win.
    [image=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z274/EyeBashBadWriting/NoBoot4You.jpg]

4. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    I agree with JTH-123

Lucas states Mace did indeed win unfortunately,

it was more of the usual Sam L Jackson butt kissing from Lucas

"i want to be in star wars"

Lucas: ok

"i want a purple lightsaber i wanna be different"

and I imagine this:

"it's not fair i wanted to win the duel"

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, Mace won the physical duel, but in doing so, fell right into Sidious' trap of making the Jedi seem like traitors to Anakin.

Won the battle, lost the war.

Jacob Aldrich likes this.
  6. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Validation for your gold star.

7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Bow to your one-star general. :p

8. Dark--Helmet

Dark--Helmet Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2003
    Mace flat out beats him,GL said so,the boot to the face,the strain on his face during the fight plus the frightned crab walk retreat with none else in the room.It's only by Anakins stupidity he survives.The emperor since the ANH novel has been a weaselly guy who's plans fall threw.It makes no sense for him to be this omnipotent manipulator.

This scene is badly choreographed and poorly acted but even then I still don't get where people are seeing palp let Mace win.Is it something actually in the scene or is it more of that people cheering on the villain stuff?

9. VadersPappy

VadersPappy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    Palpy was letting Mace "win", in order for Anakin to make the incorrect assumption the Jedi were attempting a coup. If Palpy was really that weak, would he have been other to fire lightening at Mace that quickly?

I bet Palpy was enjoying the lightening being forced back to him. Hurts so good!

10. CraigTNelson

CraigTNelson Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2008
    what does being able to fire lightning quickly have to do with their duel and Palpatine faking the fight?

Personally I prefer to think that Mace did indeed win, but that Palps knew Anakin wouldn't let him die. He might've believed he could have beat Mace, but regardless of that fact he knew Anakin would make sure he and the "power to save your wife" survived.

Lots of things that happen in Star Wars are coincidential and highly unlikely. You can't really play the percentages when you look at a scene like this.

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Mace unarmed Palpatine. Clear and simple.
    But Sidious was not fighting to win against Mace.
    If he was, Windu would have been impaled in the image up above.

Like Admiral OneStar said: Mace won that battle; but in so doing, he lost the war.

12. CraigTNelson

Jan 30, 2008
    Frankly I don't think that image really proves anything. He's got his pointed at him, so...? Maybe he's extended already and can't reach, I mean if you want to break down the lightsaber duels I could say Anakin let Dooku cut his arm off because he just stands there at the end of their duel. The duels are meant to look pretty, I'd take a frame like that with a grain of salt.

Though the Admiral's quote is correct.

13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, Palpatine's already got his arm pretty much extended all the way. Barring that Palpatine is made of rubber, I don't see a stabbing thrust being viable there-Palpatine would have to "choreograph" like crazy to cover that extra foot or so of reach.

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    If Palpatine can make it from his desk to the top of the stairs in a flash, one half-step forward isn't out of the question. And I have more than one frame isolated. If Sidious wanted Mace dead, then Windu would have been a corpse with a hole in his chest before Skywalker arrived. Sentimentality can't cloud a pragmatical assessment.:p

15. Dark--Helmet

Dark--Helmet Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2003
    He doesn't make it there in a flash,he does a very slow spin.You can't break them down like that(particular this one as it's so bad ),there not that well done to do so.There supposed to look cool.

Palp does that after he loses the lightsabre dual but that doesn't work so he goes to the "saving Padme's life card".

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

A flash that didn't even make it close to Mace. Nor did any of his other moves.

Not to mention that letting your opponent disarm you before Anakin arrives is a foolish move. What's to keep Mace from turning that kick into an immediate kill move? Nothing.

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I never said that... I said Mace disarmed him fair and square.
    But also postulated that Sidious wasn't fighting to win, either.

Gotta at least appreciate the amount of arrogance it took to trust an idiot like Skywalker.

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Not so much, given that the same arrogance made him think Anakin would be down with watching his last blood relative being tortured to death.

At least Anakin's blindness is somewhat understandable...that really isn't :p

19. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    or just use the force to jab forward.

20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, because Mace would've been just completely unable to do anything about that.

21. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    yeh like the Jedi who got totally wiped out with him you mean?

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    You mean, like the Jedi who've never been shown or described to be anywhere near as powerful as Mace?

"....As wise as Master Yoda...as powerful as Master Windu..."

But yeah, I guess three other Jedi getting chopped to shreds must mean all Jedi are pathetic losers compared to Sidious. It's the only option that works, after all!

23. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    well, one would think he would have chosen better Jedi then,

and wasn't one or two on the council?

24. CraigTNelson

Jan 30, 2008
    Yeah dude. Why didn't, like, Mace get some better Jedi? Getting killed like that by a Sith Lord.

25. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    are you mocking me? I can't tell [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.