main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mace's Duel with Darth Sidious

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ChosenOneKK, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    well I dunno DJK, Lucas was pleased to give in to him a few times, purple lightsaber, high Jedi master etc :p
    I just find it funny Lucas had always said "there are only 3 colors, that's all, red, blue green"

Sam L Jackson: can I have purple?
    Lucas: sure

From interviews I've read with Nick Gillard he suggests numerous times there is no one who can match "Sidious and master yoda" but I suppose we will never know on that one.

Agreed on your second point.

2. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Fair enough. :p

3. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Did Sidious use Force Lightning at the beginning? Did he use The Force to throw objects at Mace? No, he was just stalling so Anakin would arrive, he sensed him close and needed the image of Mace trying to kill Palpatine as a means to sway Anakin to kill Mace, thereby starting his journey as Sidious' apprentice (through the claim that he would teach Anakin how to prevent Padme's death).

As the pictures on the first page showcase, Palpatine could've ended the fight when Mace missed his saber thrust. Sidious wasn't using any of his tactics other than some saber skills to hold off Mace until Anakin arrived. It was all part of his plan - I mean, what would Sidious gain from killing Mace? He needed to trick Anakin into thinking the Jedi wanted to take over. It's all there in the movie.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well said. This agrees with all of the points I made earlier in the thread. It is indeed "all there in the movie", and I really wonder if people had not listened to GL's DVD commentary during this scene or read his interview answers on this subject whether this would be such a debated topic. :p

5. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    Well that does not seem like proof.
    It's like saying the only boxer that could ever beat Ali can only be Joe Frazier.
    It's like saying Luke Skywalker was the only person who could have rescued Princess Leia.
    It's like saying that Anakin can only be the only human to ever win the Boonta Eve.

Well of course! Watch the movies - that's the way it happened, so forget about any other possibilties! =D=

I was looking for actual GL statements or EU writings that actually prove/disprove that Palps was indeed invincible and immune from death - unless Anakin Skywalker kills him.

Bring balance to the Force. This "prophecy" does seem very open and not so rigid.

I am not saying Palps was force invincible or he was not ... I don't know ... I was hoping someone could validate it.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He didn't need to use Force lightning at the beginning. Mace would have blocked it anyway. We know that he was trying to destroy Mace, and he did use the Force against him in the script: PALPATINE is able to use the Force to slam MACE against the wall, but he recovers before the Chancellor can cut him down.

The same logic could be used to invalidate any legitimate saber duel in the saga. I've checked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.