main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Machiavelli's THE PRINCE Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by joemahirap, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joemahirap

joemahirap Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2001
    It is a pleasure to welcome any of your comments and questions.

Machiavelli in his book, "The Prince" discusses tactics and behaviors which can be used to achieve one's political goals. He made an effort to justify those actions, should the goal be appropriate. Some of Machiavelli's teachings lack any sense of moral base, which therefore leads to despicable behavior.

However, Machiavelli did not write "The Prince" to create a despot/dictator. He wrote about how a dictator/despot thinks, acts, and wins. Heeding his message is comparable to knowing our enemy, the 1st rule of war.

"The Prince" - How to gain and hold political power. Machiavelli merely looked at the human being as a social animal, evaluated its behavior based upon his prior experience, and prior experience available to him through historians. From those experiences developed certain general rules regarding how a leader gains power, removes the threat of the prior regime, and then holds power. However, Machiavelly ignored the spiritual element of man, which is a fatal flaw in his work.

Both a Republic and an Empire must resort to
    Machiavellian tactics to survive.

Please provide any comments.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It's been a long time and I only read a few selected chapters from this book when I did read it, but I'll just say that I feel Machiavelli's, well, Machiavellian nature is somewhat overrated.

Quite honestly, I agreed, at least in part, with a lot of what he had to say. It's not pretty, but, really, government is like sausage. If you're going to stomach it, you don't want to see how it's made.

3. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    But Machiavelli died!.....or did he?

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, he must have or else he'd be really old. :p

Question is: did he die like everyone thinks? :D

5. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    thats what I meant!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.