main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Macon, Georgia line-up may be a BUST!

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Allie Fox, Feb 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allie Fox

Allie Fox FanForce CR Macon GA US star 3

Jan 13, 2000
    Hello everyone in Hot-lanta!

I have been trying to organize a fan group in the middle Georgia area for some time with little luck. I figured that I could arrange a line-up for Attack of the Clones and draw some people out of the closet.

I was making arrangements with the local Regal Cinema (Rivergate 14) to queue up there. The plan is to have a pledge drive and take donations for every hour spent in line. All proceeds are to go to the Bibb County Chapter of the American Cancer Society as part of the Relay for Life campaign (Line-up for Life). This morning I received this email from Mr. Ted Hatfield, Regal Cinemas Director of Promotions:

I have emailed him and asked if a line-up can still be held if there is not a charity connection and have yet to hear from him.
    There are only three theater complexes in Macon and two of them are Regal owned. This leaves me little choice in wher I can arrange for a line-up.

I would like to know if you guys in Atlanta are planning a line-up and if so, what arrangements have you made with the theater? Do you think I went about this in the wrong way? Should I have done anything else? We're less than 3 months away and I wanted to have my ducks in a row but it seems they keep flying away on me. Is ther anything that you guys can suggest?

Can ya help a dude out? ;)

Thanks alot!

2. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Hi! :)

We have made arrangements with the management of the Regal Cinemas Hollywood 24 to hold our line up at their facility. Our line-up committee director contacted the theater's management by phone to set up the initial meeting, and to our surprise, the manager gave us approval for the line up right over the phone!

As of right now, due to time constraints, and the fact that teaming up with a charity for the line-up would be difficult due to the restrictions that would be placed on us by the charity itself and the theater management, we are not sponsoring any specific charity. This could change, but that is where we stand right now.

I do believe that the City Rep from another FanForce chapter contacted Lucasfilm, in order to get official approval to do a charity line-up. He received a reply stating that Lucasfilm could not endorse a charity line-up. This may be the reason why the Regal Cinema in Macon will not allow your to sponsor a charity during your line-up.

If you would like a few more details on how our line-up is being organized, feel free to contact me at minacia@HothlantaRebels.com, or contact our line-up coordinator at liltinghouse@yahoo.com.

Good luck! :)

3. Allie Fox

Jan 13, 2000
    After posting my previous message yesterday I received an email from Mr. Hatfield. He stated that, "Regal Cinemas will certainly allow patrons to line up in front of our cinemas, awaiting a coming film." He mentioned the local restrictions, i.e., curfews, loitering, etc. He also mentioned that "FOX will not allow any charity, to request donations, from patrons waiting to see STAR WARS."

I think I've found a loophole and everything will proceed as planned. I will make sure I have permission from the property owner and clear it with the local law enforcement. I contacted theater management on site and they seem to like the idea. I also have made a few connections with local media (both print and television) and they have expressed interest in coverage. I've been cleared through the American Cancer Society to conduct the drive as part of it's Relay for Life program (I call it the Line up for Life).

Now all I need is people. . .

Thanks for your help. There are few fans in the middle Georgia area. I need to get to Atlanta to one of your meetings.

4. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I'm glad that things seem to be working out. Good luck! :)

SW fans from middle-Georgia are always welcome to attend one of our meetings. :D

5. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Apparently, there was quite a bit of trouble with people claiming they were doing charity line-ups that never really came to pass. So LFL wants to limit things to just their official charity events. (Wish we could have one HERE!)

Hopefully your lineup will bring out your local fans. Good luck!

6. Jedireject

Jedireject Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    This is the norm for Lucas film and several other film companies. The main problem is the fear that by giving their approval they could be held responsible if the group takes off with the money. As mentioned above, there have been problems in the past so most companies chose to stay away from charity tie-ins that they didn't setup themselves.

The unfortunate side-effect is it makes them look mean when they turn a charity down. They are just protecting themselves. It is good you guys can still do the line up.

7. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I may like to line up but why at that place!!! No one goes to see movies there anymore. What about AIM STAR? That is the best place in the macon area. Am I right?

8. Allie Fox

Jan 13, 2000
    The primary reason for the lineup to happen at the Regal Rivergate is that the Episode One lineup was there. I, personally, like the Regal Theater because it is closer to (what will be) my "base of operations" i.e., my niece's downtown apartment. Being that I am not from Macon, I wasn't familiar with the area and the AmStar seemed a little "too far out" for me. I've been there once or twice and it seems a little off the beaten path. When I called the management at AmStar, they seemed pretty receptive to the idea. I'm sure there is still time to coordnate with ANY theater that might allow someone to line up.

The other reason for the Regal Rivergate is, I've coordinated the entire thing myself. I have gotten little response from fans in the area. In fact, as of yesterday, I only have ONE other person that has said they would be willing to line up for the duration (five to six days). I invite any others with ideas or willingness to participate. In fact, I would like at least seven pother eople by March 20th so I could have an "Official" Relay for Life team.

Anyone willing to help out, email me or post a message in the Macon, GA FanForce boards.

9. Jeddie

Jeddie Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    Aint yall got Jobs?
    This isnt '99 when people were begging folks to come and work for them!

10. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Good luck to you Allie Fox. Atlanta is looking to do the line up one day in advance with a one night stay over. Personally, I've gotta work out of town (but will be back in time for the midnight showing on the 15th). As our group was talking about it, the need to have a long line up isn't really neccessary anymore since people can just buy their tickets on line or buy phone. I would say try shorting your line up days and you may get a better response.

Now, as far as the post about having jobs...I had originally planned to work during the days and camp out at night with the folks. Keep in mind that alot of people doing this may work part time, be in college or work nights. Not really fair to criticise someone unless you know their situation.

11. Allie Fox

Jan 13, 2000
    I HOPE the time I plan to spend in line is not going to scare anyone away. I don't really care if someone wants to come by for only one day, let alone the entire time. I imagine the last day will have a bit of a crowd. Like you said, with the online ticket sales, It's hard to spark interest in a lineup. Maybe I could line up at the AmStar. I'm not sure but I don't think they have online ticket purchasing. I'll have to check.

I would just like some fellow fans out there for some support. I sometimes think I'm the only fan in middle Georgia.

I guess I'm going to have to advertise for fans in the local papers.

12. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    I know of several fans who would love to help out. Unfortunately, they don't have internet access. I'll be seeing them soon and will pass the info along.

13. Jeddie

Jeddie Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    No one criticized, I only asked a question. I grew up on Star Wars, I love it (even though I thought Phantom Menace was 'ok' and it didnt pan out the way I thought it would) however, I realize that in order to pay of the bed that I will sleep in the night before the premier, and to have air conditioning paid for so that I can sleep comfortably, and to drive my car to the theater I am going to have to put in an Honest work day to do so. In this economic climate it isnt easy to just wait in line days on end when so many people are out of work. Then again, maybe I am one of the 'poorer' Star Wars Fans.

14. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    As I said...some of us are students in college, some of us work part time and some of us do work 9-5 jobs. I had originally planned to spend the night at the theater and go home in the morning to shower. I would then go to work and come back by afterwards. I plan to be at the theater on Wednesday, May 15th for the midnight showing and I am taking the following day off of work to view it several more times. I have vacation time, which I earned and I am using it for that. Perhaps other people are doing the same thing. It just bugs me when I hear people question/critize the folks waiting in line for a few days. As I said, everyone has a different situation. I work hard for the house I own, the car I own, the things I own and collect, etc. I can understand the curiosity, but the post (as emails can be mis-read) came across more as a critique of people's work ethics/lifestyles than a question.

15. Allie Fox

Jan 13, 2000
    I too have worked very hard for many years. I have earned plenty of vaction leave. Everyone needs a break and I usually take three weeks off per year for vacations anyway.

This year:

Week One - NYC (Home for me)

Week Two - E2 Line up

Week Three - London or Paris (depends on where the wife wants to go). Unless we can go back to Cuba. (Depends on the State Department)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.