"Macrobinoculars" - the symbolism

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by R2D1000, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. R2D1000 Jedi Master

star 4
    Luke, before he gets Anakin's lightsaber to wear on his belt, has macrobinoculars with him all the time. I know its because he uses it around on Tatooine, but I was wondering if there' a hidden symbolism behind it.

Luke with macrobinoculars- a young man looking for a direction in life.

Thoughts?
  2. Blackout Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmmm, nice thought but I don't think the rabbit-hole goes that deep ;)

Probably more like a young man trying to find things whilst living on a barren desert-planet.

:) {||||| ?||} -----------------------------
  3. fosh-bantus88 Jedi Master

star 4
    i think macrobinoculars just symbolize the way you can search through the horizon of the future and see meaning and potential.

but somehow, not the droid thats standing right next to you :p
  4. cooker Jedi Knight

star 2
    Could be, could be...

Like my english profs always say, the author didn't have to intend on something to symbolic for it to carry symbolism.
  5. Lightsabre Fan Force Founder

VIP
    star 4
    I think it symbolizes that he can't see that far.
  6. --Darth_Dude-- Jedi Youngling

star 3
    cooker is right... I don't think George had planned for this to be symbolic... yet you can find all the symbolism in it that you want... this goes for alot of things in the saga...
  7. fcz1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    kinda like when after lukes and leia swing across the broken bridge on the death star and luke leaves the grappling hook behind. at that moment he becomes a hero and no longer grapples with his internal struggle to be a man.

or maybe i'm just reading too far into it and should enjoy the movie on a more basic level. not to say there is no symbolism anywhere in the movie, but you don't have to dig that deep for it.
  8. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    True, but like cooker said, the level of symbolism is up to the viewer, even above what the creator intended.

The SW Saga is pretty simple on the surface, but you can put a ton of symbolism, metaphor, and mythical references on top of it and it still holds up :)
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.