main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Mad Max Franchise (Now: Furiosa)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Jul 27, 2014.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    OH MY GOD THE SOUNDTRACK WHAT A LOVELY SOUNTRACK

2. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I wanna build a war rig and drive it on the NYS thruway.

3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Fury Road weekend audience was 70% male and 54% over 35. Coincidentally, I'm exactly both those things. I'm 70% male and 54% over 35.

Gamiel, Boba Nekhbet and LostOnHoth like this.
  5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm 100% juice for 100% kids!!

6. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    My summary of the film;

Magnificent manic mayhem!

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You're haunted by those you could not save, beez? And you can't settle down?

9. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I went to a 10:00 3D showing because it was the only one that worked for me. It so dark and artificial I walked out and looked for a later showing. Unfortunately the only showing left was 3D as well but it was on a bigger screen and I sat further back.
    That helped considerably but God why does 3D even exist? it always looks fake.
    Of course the movie was good enough that I finally was able to 'forget' it and enjoy.

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Segmenting the movie-going audience by ticket price boosts studio revenue. But content that really shines in 3D, like Gravity, is rare, and audiences have caught on to the reality that 3D doesn't boost the entertainment value of most summer actions movies. As premium ticket revenue declines, fewer studios will bother with the 3D post-conversion. Fewer theaters will replace their 3D projection equipment as it wears out and becomes obsolete. It's a downward spiral until 25 years from now when 3D becomes a brand new fad all over again.

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    There were 14 showtimes at my theatre yesterday for this. Only three of those were in non-3D.

Please go away, 3D.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Seeing this tomorrow. Hopefully not in 3D.

Legolas Skywalker likes this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I saw Fury Road over the weekend, and man, it is a action packed spectacle. It's like the movie Speed (without the bomb) set in the Star Wars cantina where is just so much rich and bizarre happenings. This movie is not the over the top action of Fast and Furious, but the practical and fantastical effects and story telling of classic scifi films.

Very enjoyable film.

Bobatron and soitscometothis like this.
  14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    As much as I loved this movie, I would like to lodge a complaint against the government of Immortan Joe for its watery delivery system. His water infrastructure seems designed to 1. kill 10-20 people when turned on just through the sheer force of gravity and 2. provide maybe a gallon of water each to another dozen people or so before it 3. allows hundreds of thousands of gallons of water drain immediately away into the desert floor.

I can appreciate the drama and propaganda value of those giant pipe tunnels and the long drop, but I'd propose a simple design change of adding a watertight basin at the cliff base so that water can drain into it. You still maintain total control over the water supply, and yet you can reduce the death and injury rate at the water collection point and also preserve your limited aquifer resource.

epic , Gamiel and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  16. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I don't think he cares.

17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    obviously he was doing a lot of things right. His soldier cult kept the troops in line. His greenhouse looked very efficient. His wife impregnation room was I think flawlessly decorated.

Gamiel likes this.
  18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    I was impressed that they chose to abandon the post apocalyptic setting and just set this one in present day australia

The guy who played tony abbott was a bit over the top though, to be fair

epic , Gamiel, Artoo-Dion and 7 others like this.
  19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  20. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    oh good, its still set in australia then. i was wondering

21. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I saw this without having seen any of the other Mad Max movies because the internet was going bonkers over it. One of the best action movies I've seen. As someone else already mentioned, I found myself thinking "I don't want this to end!" and I was tense the entire time. Seriously just blown away by every bit of this movie!

22. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Question: Is this the most triumphant franchise-return in cinematic history? Coppola, Lucas and Spielberg all received mixed notices for their 15+ years-later revisits, yet everyone agrees that the 70-year old George Miller just took his Mad Max saga into the stratosphere.

"I'll show you damn kids how to make an action movie. And get off my lawn!!!"

23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Speed! Whoa that's a good comparison and I'm surprised I didn't think of it considering how I went bonkers over that movie in 1994. I have managed to put it out of my mind in the last several years though.
    And now there is this.

Gamiel likes this.
  24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999

It will be hard to label it a triumph if it doesn't earn a profit. Too soon to tell, but it doesn't look particularly promising. Maybe it will do well on rental.

Boyhood was a critical triumph like Fury Road but only cost $4 million to make. Gravity was a critical triumph but also a huge box office winner at a production budget only 2/3 that of Fury Road.

Fury Road is going to be marginal. Maybe only $300 million worldwide.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Well, it's an R-rated movie.