main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [MAD MEN] Guy walks into an advertising agency...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingthlayer, Jul 25, 2010.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    they didn't do it to that extreme though. they've been dropping hints that he has feelings for her for weeks, and they even got together once. then they seemed to skip a few weeks between the last episode and this one. it would still be sloppy i think, but not as sloppy as you're suggesting.

i don't feel like don is acting in those scenes with megan. i didn't on the first viewing and i still didn't on the second time through. it feels to me like he has fallen head over heels. but that last shot feels like the weight of all the other aspects of his life crashing down on him, all his other relationships. like this thing with megan is maybe too good to be true, a fantasy that doesn't really mesh life as he's always known it.

but it's a good question to ponder for the next 38 weeks. in that sense it's a great finale.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    just stumbled on this, which is just a short blurb but kind of a different take. also the comments are actually pretty good, and just as split as we are, and leave me feeling like i'm not so crazy.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    What we've seen between Don and Meghan was that he was interested in her. But it hasn't been any different than any of the other women he's been interested in sleeping with in the past. It's been portrayed as pretty much the same. Then this week he gets to see that she's good with the kids, and I feel like he's thinking more of "I am lonely and why the hell not" than "oh my God this is the greatest woman I've ever known and I am deeply in love with her".

But we definitely haven't been shown anything to justify that he's been falling for her for weeks. Just that he thinks she's a decent and attractive young woman. It doesn't matter if it happened off-screen. You don't get points for what happens off-screen that you ask the audience to accept.

The only thing off-screen passage of time is good for is when you've already established something and you want people to buy that it's developed. If they had established in the past episode that, say, Don was having second thoughts about his relationship with Faye because he thought he might genuinely be developing real feelings for Meghan, then I might be more inclined to buy the "time has passed off screen" argument.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    but the awkward sequence where faye says that they can now be out in the open with their relationship, and the uncomfortable expression on don's face when she says that he can have "his girl" set up the reservation were pointed in exactly that direction. i don't know how much more explicit you want it to be.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    They point toward "I may be interested in/sleeping with her" not towards "I am deeply in love and ready to turn my life around".

Don actually falling in love with someone and turning his life around would literally be the biggest development in the entire show. That's not going to happen in one episode. If we're supposed to buy it, that's bad writing.

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    but at that point he had already slept with her and was well beyond the "may be interested in her" stage. maybe you just missed it. or maybe i'm just reading too much into it, i don't know. in either case i find it kind of fun that i seem to be the only one here advocating this position. when the next season starts either i'm going to have to eat crow or everyone else is.

edit: i just want to make it clear that i think this is the biggest development in the entire show. and i think the buildup is there, they just tried to keep it subtle so that the finale would be somewhat shocking.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    So... Amazon has lowered the price of the season box sets (both DVD and Blu-Ray) to $10 from now until Saturday.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    ooh thanks for the heads up. i don't own any of them.

10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I just picked up season 1 the other day, and I've really enjoyed it so far. I've only seen a handful of the episodes from the first three seasons, so it's been a really good investment.

11. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Anybody hear rumors that season five won't start until early 2012?

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Breaking Bad was delayed until July (though I don't know the reason), so I guess it would make sense to delay Mad Men so that two of AMC's biggest shows don't have simultaneous seasons.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    figure all the diehards already know this, but was kind of surprised this thread wasn't upped. i'll give you the bad news first. now the good news.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, I forgot to up the thread when I heard. :p

15. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    This made me so upset. I was on tenterhooks the entire time and I'm happy things are finally settled so I can get more Mad Men!

16. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    Did anyone else notice that the good news was posted by AMC at 08:10 on April 1st...?

:p

-JR :)

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I was not aware of these turn of events. I blame Darth_Guy.

18. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Nah man, it was posted on imdb and Entertainment Weekly. It's legit!

19. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    Dear writers of Mad Men,

Don Draper just said, "I'm not gonna lie..." [face_plain]

20. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    Argh, not again! Within a 5 minute span, 2 more character just said, ?I?m not gonna lie?? Please stop!

1) It?s an annoying phrase.

2) It?s an annoying phrase that WASN?T POPULAR IN THE 60?S!!!

21. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I say that all the time :(

22. FatFrank

FatFrank Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2011
    I'm not gonna lie...I never noticed that they used that phrase a lot on the show.

Can't you just get solojones to do something about it?

23. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I'm curious as to how you know what phrases were popular in casual conversation during the 60's.

Records of that time are sketchy at best.

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not gonna lie, I wouldn't be surprised if "I'm not gonna lie" was used before the 1960's. Unless there was a specific film or book or whatever that coined it.

25. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    [image=http://www.papermag.com/uploaded_images/mad-men-season-5.jpg]

Can't wait.