main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [MAD MEN] Guy walks into an advertising agency...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingthlayer, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Can a mod please take out "[MAD MEN PREMIÈRE TONIGHT]" or maybe just the "PREMIÈRE TONIGHT" part? I was like, "WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!" when I saw the thread today. :p

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ok, just stopping in because I just found out the poster evidently caused a minor controversy due to people saying it was like the 'Falling Man' photo from 9/11... wtf. It's not like it's been in the credits since the beginning. What is wrong with people?

Basically we had a huge file of phrases that were in use in the 60s, mainly compiled from contemporary films and books. And yeah, the writers do ask about pretty much any phrase they use. But I'm not gonna lie, they might not have been used as often ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

I don't get that that, either. It's been part of the show's mythology (if opening credits are mythology) since the beginning. There's no real surprise that they chose that aspect of the opening credits to use as a poster.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    lol, I hadn't heard about that. People are really stretching the supposed 9-11 references, aren't they? I can't think of a (official) advertising campaign that used any 9-11 reference whatsoever unless it was actually about 9-11.

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Okay, I marathoned this entire series in a week, and I'm hooked.

But now I have to wait for the rest of the series like all the rest of you people.

:_|

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's less than a month until the season 5 premiere. We've had to wait like 16 months. :p

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    IT'S WORSE FOR ME

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The whole series in a week? Wow, that's fast even by my standards. It took me about two weeks to rewatch the show last summer. But yeah, really, a month isn't long to wait comparatively.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    I've been rewatching the show to prepare for S5. I'd forgotten how funny this show is. It doesn't get enough credit for its humor. Especially in the early going, there's just a lot of comedy.
    _jOBO

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    "I like to call that one Tuesday." [face_laugh] The man is funny, what can you say. I was sitting with him at a table at lunch one time and he had everyone in rapt attention with a funny story from set... I think I needed to punch myself more than pinch myself :p

The show is rather funny, yeah, partly because of funny actors and partly because of funny writers. They are very dry. It's just such a dry sense of humor that I think it doesn't occur to a lot of people. But it often makes me laugh, particularly because it's so dry.

EDIT: Yes I know and bragging and blah blah, but it was awesome, and you'd have been excited too. Get over yourselves.

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Jon [face_pig], is da man!

13. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    lol

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    People who post on fanboards and go to conventions to see actors and writers they like have absolutely no standing to criticize someone who remarks on it being kind of cool to see an actor they like in the course of their work.

-sj loves kevin spacey

15. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think it was more that you told us to "get over ourselves" preemptively without anyone saying anything that was lol-worthy. i think most of us here actually think it's awesome and are kind of jealous that you worked on mad men.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    tom, I have no problem with you. You've been perfectly nice to me. It's fairly obvious what immature little gang of bullies I mean, and I can definitely predict their infantile reactions, clearly.

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    i usually find that i have better interactions and friendships with people when i don't encourage snark and disgust in them.

just sayin.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Guys, this thread is about a television show, not a few users and how they portray themselves.

Yeah, this. I think the point is that in the long run, you did something cool and that's the only part that really matters. What other people say about it is so irrelevant next to that.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ok, sorry. In the future I'll just remark on my experiences, since they are obviously related to the show and this thread. And I'm excited to not have to hold in a bunch of spoilers anymore :p

Sorry to be so defensive, it's just that I have a history of being made fun of for saying anything related to any of my work experiences here, and it tends to make you presume it's going to happen again. If it didn't, that would be great.

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    As long as we're all calling each other out, the below post was you totally responding to something I clearly said to Espy and mocking Espy.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Er, I just assumed you were genuinely asking a question about research done for lingo on the show... that's pretty much exactly what that question seems like. So sorry for providing a straightforward and in no way insulting answer to a question about my job...???

-sj loves kevin spacey

23. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    SJ needs a hug. [:D]
    You should ask Hendricks about those hacked pics.

24. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    There have been a few.

But yeah, I'm super excited this is returning. I think I'll watch each episode sober, then drink through the immediate encore.

25. FatFrank

FatFrank Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2011