main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [MAD MEN] Guy walks into an advertising agency...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingthlayer, Jul 25, 2010.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good episode tonight, not quite up to last week, but the scene with Don and Bobby at Planet of the Apes was cool, and Don talking about his kids to Megan was great.

I thought the DC couple might be killed in the riots, but I guess not.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I thought this episode was great. I loved Stan's reaction to that ridiculous pitch. The moment with Don and Bobby clicked with me, since it reminded me of my own dad taking me to the movies. And that little moment with Peggy and Abe was great.

It's funny, one of my friends could relate to the confrontation between Pete and Harry, since she had a similar confrontation with her boss recently in regards to the Boston bombing.

Havac likes this.
  3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I always love the "moment in history" episodes. They always come out incredibly atmospheric. We got Ginsberg, we got Roger's LSD buddy -- I loved Roger having no reaction to his weirdness -- we got adorable Peggyness, we got Pete acting out (at Harry of course), we got Trudy, we got Betty being awful, we got Bobby being an actual character, all solid stuff. Don's moment with Bobby was great, and when he actually opened up to Megan it was killer stuff. This season has really found its groove.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, and Ginsberg seemed to channel George Costanza a bit, mostly in that diner scene. Seinfeld played with the Jewish parents tropes a lot, so it was funny seeing that in play here.

Also, I loled so hard when Joan awkwardly hugged Dawn. Hands down the most ridiculous thing she's ever done, more so than the thing with the model airplane. [face_laugh]

heels1785 likes this.
  5. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Holy shizzle, Don's speech at the end was heartbreaking.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, such a powerful scene. this whole season has been amazing so far.

Emperor_Billy_Bob likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    This episode was spectacular. I feel like in recent episodes of Mad Men, there's no huge, oh crap Carousel type moments, however most episodes on their own are absolutely amazing. In my mind, that's a good tradeoff.

9. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Dope episode. William Mapother is still the creepiest actor out there.

And yeah, I love pretty much every episode with a historic event in it. Love seeing all the characters reactions to that stuff.

10. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm really glad that they're in 1968. There's a lot of potential for event-driven drama that year.

I completely agree with A_J on Mapother. He's great at being creepy.

Armenian_Jedi likes this.
  11. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Joan's awkward White Guilt hug was the greatest.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  13. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I love 80s Don Draper!

14. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    HOLY ****! That's why I love this show.

Darth McClain likes this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, didn't see that coming. And heh, I figured there was something going on between Ted and Peggy.

16. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I figured that something was up after seeing more of CGC after the Heinz debacle. One of hallmarks of good writing is that you don't add story elements if you don't plan on using them later on and this was no exception. I loved seeing the shouting match in the SCDP common area and Pete falling down on the stairs was just perfect. Of course, the bit of him seeing Trudie's dad in the brothel was an interesting parallel to Don and Chaough meeting up in Detroit. It will be very interesting to see how this all pans out. Also of note was Joan's reaction to the firing of Jaguar which was perfect. For a moment or two I was wondering/hoping she'd go over and smack Don for the firing. I also enjoyed seeing the entire office scurry out of the way after watching all hell break loose in the common area.

This episode was firing on all cylinders and I can't wait until next Sunday. The clip of Peggy coming back to the SCDP office looks to have 'awkward' written all over it.

17. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, Peggy seems less than enthusiastic to be back working in Don's shadow again. I'll be interested in seeing how Don approaches it from his end.

Man, this merger is going to kick ass. New partners, Don having to deal with another big rival in creative, the company figuring out its place in the market . . . I love how this show isn't afraid to constantly shake up the status quo. I love the way they did it, too -- they had you thinking this episode was about SCDP going public, and how Don would take the news . . . nope, it's about Don getting sick of being a small fry in the market, and engineering a merger with his most-hated rival.

Awesome episode for Pete, as well. From him falling on the stairs to his total inability to figure out what the confrontation with his father-in-law was all about, he's being his usual dumbass, emotionally immature, self-righteous self. I loved his scenes with Trudy, and him awkwardly hitting on Joan. Christina Hendricks killed in her scenes. Don blowing up Jaguar was awesome, as was his failure to understand how Joan would see it. We got quality Ken! Cosgrove! Accounts! scenes, too. Roger was amazing this week. He's hungry again, and his new angle with that airline woman both showed his smarts and his hilarity. Loved having Roger and Don going out to make it rain again.

18. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
  19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i feel like somehow pete is going to find a way to blow everything.

20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, I can see Pete feeling like Don stole his thunder by putting off going public, and resenting the fact that more partners means he's farther down the totem pole. I foresee pissy Pete in the future.

21. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm disappointed that Pete didn't try to get Vicks back by pimping out Joan to his father-in-law.

22. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Oh and 'She is the apple that goes in the pig's mouth' has to be one of my favourite lines from the show ever.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You seem to have it covered. Except one thing. Pete, in bed, talking to his wife. The man has the pit hair of a wookie.

And are "next time, on Mad Men" scenes not considered spoilers? If they aren't, that's fine. I'd just like to know as I avoid them.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    they're always intentionally incredibly vague so it's hard to say they contain any spoilers. but i suppose it couldn't hurt to tag any mention of them anyway.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah. They are basically pure speculation. I'd just like to know so I can make the decision to avoid the thread or not.