main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [MAD MEN] Guy walks into an advertising agency...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingthlayer, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    "It's much worse: I'll be your client. And I'm very hard to please."

Heh, very nice Kenny. You're a good guy, but please, do make them suffer.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I thought the scene of Don speaking with Rachel's sister at shiva was masterful acting from JH. The conversation was painfully awkward, and yet that still was not the focus, as Don looked like he was about to break down and cry from the start. Memorable reaction from Rachel's sister when Don told her that he was divorced, wanting to know if Don had left his family for Rachel - painfully naive in thinking that Rachel might have been the only one Don ventured outside of his marriage for. And finally Don having to say "Now I'm getting divorced again," in what looked like such a painful admission.

Really strong scene - I agree that the episode wasn't the greatest, but MM premieres usually are not. The stories work their way up.

3. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Havac: It'd be difficult for Don not to be morbid and disconnected when you consider all that has happened to him in just ten years. Two failed marriages, plus other personal and professional losses. The company he worked for exists in name only since it's pretty obvious the McCann deal isn't as hands off as Roger had promised. And now, he's having vivid dreams, visions, whatever, of dead acquaintances.

Maybe he should've moved on like the partners intended after he had the Hersheys breakdown. Go to California, salvage his marriage with Megan and maybe just seek the happiness that has eluded him for so long. But I suppose that requires a willingness for change that, as we've seen in this episode - as Megan and everyone else knows - is just not there. Even if it has left him with a life as hollow and meaningless as the big apartment he still lives in. He truly is a fascinating character.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Stan episode!

I love it whenever Marie shows up. She didn't disappoint. And Megan's up and down day was a great way to check in on her. God, Harry. Nice to see a little of Betty and the family too. That opening was almost eerie, seeing Don with the kids in that suburban household and Betty walking in. Betty taking up psychology is just a fascinating development, especially for someone with so little insight into her own psychology -- but it's no surprise she's interested. Can't wait for a full storyline for her in another episode.

Roger was delightful as ever, and Pete's golfing outfit made my day. We still haven't seen much from him, though it's interesting he's no longer with his realtor. Sally is the only other one left we haven't really checked in with, I think.

5. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Loved it. Several really good Roger moments and quips. Although his mustache reminds me of Uncle Pennybags or whatever the Monopoly guy's name is. He just needs a monocle and a penguin suit.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Good episode, but I have to ask - why are we getting introduced to relationships we don't care about whilst the ones we do aren't being serviced?

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I dunno, something about Diana...I have a bad feeling about this. Don should too.

8. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Honestly, it wasn't until the Rosens spoke to Diana that I realized she was a real person. I thought that she may have been a figment of something in Don's psyche. Even then, how the hell do we know that any of this is really happening? Maybe it is all happening in the mind of a shell shocked Dick Whitman who is in a straightjacket at the VA hospital with only a radio tuned to news and current events (and snappy radio advertisements) to keep him company in between the thorazine enemas and Diana is just the latest in a string of nurses who has to administer them.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Examples?

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Examples of which, relationships that go nowhere?

The California sex compound? Pete at Drivers Ed?

the best moments were Don and Megan, and yet we barely saw it. Her comments - you're an ageing, sloppy, selfish liar - were on point but we're distracted from their interactions with Diana, who goes nowhere.

11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Diana's a reflection of who Don could be if he had left his children. As terrible as he is most of the time, he does try to be a good father. If he didn't, he would have left Sally, Bobby and Gene with Betty, or when Sally saw him with Mrs. Rosen he knew he had done wrong by her and wanted seriously to repair their relationship. Diana's more callous, closed off and genuinely broken. There's been a lot of the road not taken themes popping up this season, this is just one of them. Is that all there is? is another reoccurring question that will come up regarding the events of the season.

I would love it if that's what we're left asking by the end of the season.

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    And Don did actually seriously consider leaving his kids at one point. Oddly Pete is the one who helped talk him off that ledge.

I do agree that it can be a little frustrating to have new storylines introduced when there are so few episodes left. But it's hard to say whether they are pointless at this stage. The Diana thing may wind up being crucial to Don's ultimate end point in the show. It can frustrate me too (especially since I'm dying to know more about Pete's life atm and definitely am bummed at no Sally).

It feels like they are doing episodes with major storylines for the supporting cast... Last week Ken, this week Stan and Harry... I'm guessing we won't get extended arcs for a lot of the characters. Sadly this is a function of the dumb way AMC insisted they break up the final "season".

Roger's little storyline in this episode was amazing, though.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Jiminy Christmas!

heels1785 and Ender Sai like this.
  14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You can add all the sideburns you want, but Glenn gonna Glenn.

darthdrago and Todd the Jedi like this.
  15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    He can get older, skinnier, and more handsome, but he's still as creepy as ever.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I think he looks even creepier now. But then, early 70's fashions could bring out the creep in just about anyone.

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I actually didn't recognize him until Betty asked. Wow.

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Kyle Katarn I demand you change your avatar to moustache Roger.

19. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Care to guess as to whether or not Glen is bringing that lock of Betty's hair with him to Vietnam?

20. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I doubt this will happen, but after last night's episode I had an idea on how Mad Men could end:

In the jungle of Vietnam, Glen Bishop in a very similar situation to Dick Whitman in Korea
    Attempting to get out of the war, but possibly assuming another's identity…
    And maybe it doesn't turn out as well for him, maybe he can't pull it off and somehow gets caught. Or maybe it does. Or maybe we never find out.

The idea is a little out there. But there is some parallel to how Mathis couldn't pull off using Don's line at the meeting. Mad Men involves cycles of behavior.

21. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Done.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Are we supposed to like Joan anymore? "I choose a man I met last week over my own son." I mean damn, it's getting harder to sympathize with her. If Bruce Greenwood had any sense he'd have walked away after the whole "sending my son away" revelation. [face_plain]

But yes, glad to see the glorious return of Creepy Glenn.

23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I think she was being facetious when she said that.

Darth-Seldon likes this.
  24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I agree with Guy, as is often the case.

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Possibly. I like to think she resents her son because he's the last link she has to Greg.