main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [MAD MEN] Guy walks into an advertising agency...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingthlayer, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Game of Thrones....

beat Mad Men.

I'm speechless.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You can always rely on too many idiots having no taste whatsoever.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    On a more positive note, Jon Hamm did finally win for "Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series" after being nominated 7 times before. But that made me think. Did he win the award because of his portrayal of Don Draper in the last 7 episodes of the final season or his portrayal of the character throughout the ENTIRE series? How did the voters vote? Did they take in account just the recent "season" or the entire show as a whole? Because if I was a voter, I believe he and all his co-stars ALL deserve Emmys for the ENTIRE series, but for the latest season alone...not so much.

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i wonder that too, although the final episode had a wider emotional range with the character

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The Emmys are always based on the past year of television (the specific eligibility period for this year's being June 1, 2014 - May 31, 2015).

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    As it usually happens with the Oscars, maybe the award was to compensate for his being overlooked/ignored on past nominations. But this was also a season - needlessly split or truncated as it was - full of great performances from all involved, including him. So, everything's possible. But my money is on the former reason, not the latter.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    If you want some real horse****, Vincent Kartheiser has never even been nominated. The cast is so big and so outstanding that it works against itself.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's so bizarre that not only did it take Jon Hamm 8 years to win (losing in past years not only to Bryan Cranston but also ****ing Jeff Daniels), he's also the recipient of Mad Men's only acting Emmy. Jesus Christ.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  9. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Like Havac said, the cast of the show is so incredibly talented that it works against itself with the Emmys and so it is best to just go with the most visible member of the cast even if the rest of the cast is better at what they do than 99% of everybody else nominated.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it's not like they didn't get a lot of nominations tho. christina hendricks was nominated six years in a row or something.

11. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    all i need to know about the emmy's is that Larry Hagman never won one for Dallas.

12. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, she got six supporting actress nominations in a row, but nobody was nominated for the show's first two years. Slattery also got a regular tip of the hat for the first four years, then they gave Jared Harris a nod, and then ignored the show for the last three years in the supporting actor category. Moss has five leading actress noms, plus one supporting in the year that January Jones got the best leading actress nomination. Guest noms have also been thrown at Robert Morse, Harry Hamlin, and Linda Cardellini. It's not so much that there's not a quantity of nominations as that there's a shocking scarcity of wins for a thoroughly oustanding cast. There wasn't even one year that Hendricks, Slattery, or Moss could break through, and it took the show ending for the voters to grudgingly give Hamm a make-up award for the whole series. There's also the fact that the repeated nominations of the same supporting actors who couldn't get through to the voters kept any of the other cast from having a chance at recognition. Kartheiser, Shipka, and other deserving people didn't even get token nominations, so it makes it feel more exclusionary than if the same number of nominations had been spread out among the cast, so at least you know they're aware of how amazing Kartheiser is as Pete, or that Shipka is giving one of the all-time great child performances.

It's just a weird contrast in that even when the show was winning for Best Drama, it couldn't get love in any other category than writing. When the voters are genuinely enthusiastic about something, they seem to reward it as often as they can. Witness the way Modern Family had a run of just winning everything by default, because the voters could not express their enthusiasm for Modern Family enough (apparently the industry is dumb as ****), or the way everybody decided Olive Kitteridge was the miniseries they liked this year and just voted for it straight down the line, or the way you can generally gauge if a movie is going to win Best Picture at the Oscars by the way it's picking up all the other awards on the way. You'd just expect there to have been something else somewhere, sometime, and that the show wouldn't have to end to wring out an acting award.

tom and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm watching the first season. So far I like it. It's really well written.
    I don't understand the relationship between Peggy and Pete. They have sex the first episode after they barely talked and then I don't get what's going on between them. Maybe after a second viewing things will be clearer.

14. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I think you’ll develop a better understanding of the characters as the show goes on, but basically the key to understanding that moment is that Peggy is a fairly inexperienced and naive girl, but she’s also someone who’s attracted to the big city world and she’s not as unworldly as her naïveté makes her seem. When she’s presented with a handsome young man who desires her, she responds to that and it probably makes her feel sophisticated. To Pete it’s just sort of lashing out with desperate pre-wedding jitters, but to her it’s an interesting young businessman taking an interest in her. That’s how I read it. So then of course Pete considers it just a fling and moves on in shame, but she’s got a sort of residual crush on him.

But you will definitely learn a lot more about both characters as the show goes on. The best show ever made, in my opinion, and the richly drawn characters are a huge part of that.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    3sm1r likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It will be clear by the end of the season what is going on.

3sm1r likes this.
  16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I hope you like it, @3sm1r. A wonderfully written, cast, directed, everything show that keeps consistent quality through every season. That's proven to be incredibly rare. Look forward to hearing your thoughts once you complete the series!

Havac and 3sm1r like this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I've said it far too many times, but I want John Hamm playing Batman and Superman. His range in this is amazing.

Has anyone watch Matthew Wiener's The Romanoffs on Prime? I know it's an anthology, and the main character in each story believes they're related to the Romanov's, but little else.

heels1785 and Havac like this.
  18. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    It’s on my watchlist. I’ll probably get around to it soonish.

Diggy likes this.
  19. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Watched seasons 1-3 about a year ago. Got sidetracked and started season 4 last weekend and finished 5 earlier today. Some fine television

3sm1r likes this.
  20. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    i rewatched it 2 years ago when Audience network started playing it. probably watched it 2 or 3 times through again. kind of becomes obvious on rewatches they didn't think Don's and Adam's ages through all that well

21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Some dialogues are quite difficult for non English mother tongue.

Joan: I heard you were being considered for an account, because a client's wife saw you and thought it would be ok if he worked with you
    Peggy: you know? You're not a stick!
    Joan: and yet I never wonder what men think of me.

I have no clue what "stick" means in this context, nor do I understand what they're talking about.

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm sure what you meant to say here specifically was "and damn those historical researchers for the writers' room were great!" ;)

heels1785 likes this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Joan is implying that Peggy is fat, and because of this, men won't be attracted to her. Hence the thing about the client's wife seeing her and saying it's ok to work with her (they won't have an affair).

Stick in this context means very skinny person. Peggy is pointing out that Joan isn't skinny herself.

Always let us know if you're confused!

Darth_Invidious and 3sm1r like this.
  24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Edit: ^Beaten to it

25. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    [face_idea]thank you so much! So, this was actually a pretty important dialogue to understand the two characters' personality. I'm glad I didn't let it go [face_dancing]

solojones likes this.
  26. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm just glad I beat JaziB to it and made him edit his post, muahahahah!

But yeah keep asking if you have cultural context or language barriers. Especially because there's also a lot of historical stuff. Some outdated words or such. Or even just the history going on that you may not be familiar with.

3sm1r likes this.