main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [MAD MEN] Guy walks into an advertising agency...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingthlayer, Jul 25, 2010.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So what are the chances that Glenn is going to kill off the family save for Sally, or maybe burn the house down?

2. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    My favorite line was when Don says, "I don't hate Christmas. Just this Christmas."

Ahh, I love poignant lines like that!

I was really hoping for more Betty this episode, but I like how Sally seems a little more grown-up than she's been in the past. Also, WTH is Don doing with his secretary? I know that "everyone" knows about his philandering, but he's never been so obvious as he has been with the blonde lady and his secretary. Is Don slipping?

Frank Rumsfeld really made me mad when he was going on about women only wanting to get married, but I understand that it was just the times. What also upset me was he wasn't listening to Peggy, but again...just the times, too. I was really glad that she told him off.

I think it's interesting that Glenn is back and telling Sally all of these horrible stories of life after a divorce...but man, is he creepy.

3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i suppose. but even if they got like 2 or 3 $10 mill. clients (and i don't think they've landed a client that big since the show began, even when they were a much bigger company) they'd still be crazy to then drop american tobacco and go back to struggling just to get by as they are now.

as for don, he's clearly not himself. he's a mess and he really is pathetic. i think the new art guy was just calling it like he saw it, he's the one person there who doesn't know don from before. i wouldn't be too impressed with the guy either if this was all i'd ever seen of him. and sleeping with his secretary, i was even more disappointed with the way he treated her the next day. but that's typical don i suppose.

4. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Great episode last night compared to last week's creep-fest with Glenn. I really enjoyed Don and Lane's interaction to say the least.

5. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Lane is hilarious when he's drunk!

But, I think I want a) more business and b) more Betty.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    kind of a weird episode in that it was pretty much only don, lane and joan as far as main characters go. but i liked it.

i think it's pretty clear that don is so messed up, not just because of his divorce and everything else but because he's longing for his old identity. getting smacked around by the hooker was certainly part of that, and it seems the only person he really cares about is the only one who knows him as 'dick'. those scenes with the original mrs. draper are always so interesting because you see that don really is two different people.

7. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I agree with you that I really enjoy the episodes where there is more business, but I totally disagree with you on wanting more Betty. She is mean, nasty, and petty, but because she's beautiful, she gets everything she wants. I'd be very happy to see as little Betty as possible.

Welcome to 1965.

8. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Thats a really interesting point. I remember, perhaps in season 3, that Draper once said that being Don Draper was easier than being Dick Whitman. I think that is gradually changing. With his family life broken, the weight of SCDP on his shoulders and the world as he knows it on the precipice of change, it is becomingly increasingly difficult to be Don Draper. I bet at the end of the series he will vanish and go back to being Dick.

Other random thoughts:

I really enjoyed Don and Lane's excellent adventure. It showed that just as there's more to Don than meets the eye, there's more to Lane as well. I'm really interested to see what they do with his character.

1965! its time for things to start getting interesting. Vietnam and the rise of the counter culture, here we come.

It looks like next we will get to catch up with Ken Cosgrove

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Did you get pears?

Did you get pears?

Did you get pears?

Did you get pears?

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    wow, crazy awesome episode.

11. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Yeah, I can't believe how many plot points were stuffed into that episode.

That and I loved the way it was shot! Slattery directed it and I loved his use of camera angles. Especially the opening shot of Don smoking felt like something filmed in the 60s.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    lol, I loved the Honda guys. Asses.

"I don't know what this room is for."

13. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
    Betty needs a good slapping. Or to be killed off. Something. Please.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Wow, Don had a weekend-long blackout. Even for him, that's insane.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, a lot of that episode was really hard to watch. a lot really good stuff too. that new art director...

16. World_Cup_Wally

Jun 27, 2010
    Did they do Lord of the Rings hobbit movie magic on that guy or is he really that tiny?

EDIT: the relative, not the art director.

17. Substitute-Sith

Substitute-Sith Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2010
    "They don't seem to give awards for what I do...Find guys like him." - Roger

A good night for Roger fans.:D

-b

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    You saw the flashbacks, right? Roger was annoyed by Don and he didn't even hire him.

19. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Don is really on a downward spiral..

The young people at the agency are the ones powering it forward. Don is adrift, Roger has been put out to pasture, Bert is.. well, the aloof as usual. Its all Pete, Peggy and Harry now.

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i kind of get the feeling that don's downward spiral is going to continue to get worse until somewhere near the end of the season when he'll finally pull it together, most likely with the help of a woman.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Joan!

:p

Though the hand-holding and such seemed more like a maternal thing... which is weirder...

22. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    His secretary for sure.

23. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    I still think he's going to get together with Dr. Faye, even though she shot him down again.

24. World_Cup_Wally

Jun 27, 2010
    Waking up next to her will be what causes him to give up drinking.

25. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    Has anyone else followed the blog at Slate? They usually have some interesting things to say.

Don really had nowhere to go but down from day one.

I think Peggy and Dr. Faye are showing the progression of women being able to use their sexuality to their advantage, and Don not getting it like he used to. I think he still has a long way to fall, and think it will be interesting if they further explore the ill side effects of booze and loose women. ;)

I do sort of feel like they are just sort of throwing men to play against Peggy to see who fits.