main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [MAD MEN] Guy walks into an advertising agency...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingthlayer, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    [image=http://www.rollingstone.com/files/content/mounts/sambamount/images/CULTURE/ISSUE%20CONTENT/1113/RollingStone_mad_men_cover.jpg]

HOT

John Hamm, I mean.

2. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Christina Hendricks is like a real-life version of Jessica Rabbit..

I read an interesting interview with Cara Buono, who plays Dr. Faye Miller. It turns out that "Faye Miller" is the pseudonym Marilyn Monroe used when she checked into mental facilities. Hmm.. anybody think she's also using a fake name?

You can read the rest of the interview here.

3. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Tonight's episode was so good. Definitely the best of the season.

4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought that Peggy and Don were just going to get drunk and have "I'm-feeling-vulnerable" sex, not make an actual connection.

Awesome episode.

5. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I would have to agree. Also part of me hates Peggy for being the same age as me and in a more glamorous career, but I'm glad I don't have that... baggage.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Great episode, Don's air punch made me lol.

7. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I tried to resist getting into this show, but dang if it isn't the best drama on TV. I was a little worried about this season so far, but this week's episode was great.

Also, any episode without January Jones is a winner in my book. Man I can't stand her.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Really awesome episode. It kind of felt a bit fanfictiony to me, but that's probably what the show needed. At least I don't hate Peggy as much anymore.

9. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    [face_laugh]

Also, Mad Men Quote of the Week:

"You should be thanking me every morning when you wake up, along with Je-SUS for giving you another day." - Don Draper, in G-Mode

-b

10. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    SLG, just out of curiosity, why do you hate Peggy? I personally find her somewhat frustrating, but she does nail down the repressed/****ed-up Catholic girl element really well.

I too thought it was an awesome episode. Wonder if Don's going to end up regarding Peggy as his confessor now that whats-her-name has finally passed away... (I can never remember her name!) But given the professional appearance they have to maintain, I doubt we'll see much more of Don & Peggy treating each other as a shoulder to cry on--which makes is fascinating since each one knows some serious secrets about the other, yet they're able to trust each other not to spill the truth.

Most hilarious/WTF scene: Duck dropping trou and attempting to drop a hot one in what he thinks is Roger's office. Probably this season's "lawnmower" scene.[face_laugh]

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  12. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Looks like Draper's got his mojo back. I had a feeling something was going to happen with him and Dr. "Faye Miller", and in this episode he even seems to be inadvertently re-attracting Betty.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm glad the women (Peggy moreso than Joan) are finally fighting back against the misogyny at SCDP.

And Don's trying to give up alcohol? What, just because Peggy called him out on it? I'm not exactly sure what gave him an epiphany, especially considering that he had potential "wake up calls" (e.g., drunk driving accident) before.

EDIT: And he's not jumping at the chance to sleep with the good doctor? WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR DON DRAPER?! :_|

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i was actually expecting an episode like this. don's downward spiral could only be the focus of the show for so long. at some point he had to go the other way for it to continue to be compelling. it's not like he really quit though, and i'd be surprised if we've seen don's last bender.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    He's clearly aware of his alcoholism now, though, and he at least wants to quit. He just can't quite muster the strength.

16. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Didn't understand the scene with Joan and Peggy in the elevator, but an overall good episode.

Mad Men Quote of the Week:

"You're Fired." - Peggy O.

-b

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Just when I think that the writer's can't top last week's episode, they did! Fantastic episode!

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm pretty sure Joan wanted to get retribution the "old fashioned" way. Scheme, use her sexuality, etc. like she's always had to do. Peggy on the other hand wanted to use her actual, Draper-given power and authority, like a "new" working woman. Joan's always had the illusion of power (sleeping with Roger, charming the other partners), and although she's capable and good at her job, she is just a glorified secretary. Peggy has a "man's job" and a career in front of her. Joan's becoming aware of all this and she doesn't like it.

Plus the whole thing with her husband is stressing her out and probably caused her to be harsher with Peggy than she would have been otherwise.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    "i'd have my secretary do it, but she's dead."

really satisfying episode in a lot of ways.

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    "My mother made that!"

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't think this episode was on par with the past two, but I'll have to give it a second watch like I normally do. When it rains, it pours, right?

What was the deal with them kissing after being robbed? I've been super lost then mad after be robbed, not horney. I didn't get that scene.

22. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    I've heard so many great things about this show, and I just recently found out that my director was in an episode or two...so I guess I no longer have much of an excuse not to watch this show. Is it true that Jon Hamm is a bit of a method actor?

23. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    I really enjoyed last night's episode, though it has definitely casted doubts over my theory about Don marrying Faye. I'll just have to respect the creative choices of Matt Weiner and his team. I will say that they were very ballsy to remove such a popular character from the show so suddenly.

Um, where the hell has Pete Campbell been? He hasn't really done anything in the last three episodes. Looks like he will feature heavily in episode ten, but then again those preview clips are misleading to the point of meaninglessness.

24. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I haven't seen any other episodes from this season, but I liked last night's. I'm going to have to remember to tune in for the rest of the season...great show.

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    hmmm. were you with a vulnerable christina hendricks? if not, it could help explain the discrepancy in your emotional response. also roger is a pretty cool customer if you hadn't noticed. the characters are very human but you can't expect them to behave just like you.