main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [MAD MEN] Guy walks into an advertising agency...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingthlayer, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    What makes you think they're removing her? At the end of the episode they said they're going to have dinner so it's certainly not over between them for good.

2. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I saw some spoiler photos from the final episode that make me think it won't happen.

Also, I think the kiss between Roger and Joan is fine but I don't get why they started having sex there. Ah well, if I was Roger I would have definitely done the same thing (but not with a hat on).

3. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
    Wasn't he the one who dragged the dead Blankenship out of sight?

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, he was.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I've wanted to say this ever since this thread opened. Is anyone else amused when Even posts in this thread, because "Guy" is in the title?

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Soooo anyone wanna bet that Joan didn't get the abortion? :p

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    She probably didn't. Also, I liked the doctor's reaction.

8. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
    When is that creepy kid going to get more airtime!?!? I miss being scared by him.

And does that last shot mean that Draper is going to bang his secretary next week?

EDIT: and yeah, I think it's likely that she kept the kid.

9. Jozy_Oguchi

Jozy_Oguchi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2010
    [face_raised_hand]

10. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    I'd say she definitely kept it.

Amazing episode! What a great season this has been. I loved the sequence with the DOD agents. Most suspenseful sequence since Betty confronted Don with the box.

So, what is it going to be with Lucky Strike? I don't see SCDP going under. That would be such a downer, especially given the excitement surrounding its birth and the time we have spent watching it grow over the past season. Someone is going to pull in a big account or two, or strong-arm Lucky Strike into staying. Episode 12 is called "Blowing Smoke", and maybe I am reading too much into things, but the title implies to me that SCDP will be jettisoning Lucky Strike for better things in a very cathartic sequence of events, or pulling out a trump card and cowing LS into staying put and keeping quiet.

I'm going to throw this out there: Disney account.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think Lucky Strike will stay around, if only because the producers want to show the changing times. I imagine that advertising for a cigarette company will be a lot less lucrative soon enough. In 1967, the FCC required that an equal amount of anti-smoking ads air on TV, and in 1971 Congress banned cigarette ads on radio and TV entirely.

12. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    You're right. But I really don't think the producers have yet another new agency in mind. SCDP can't survive without Lucky Strike, so they'll need something else. I think it will be Disney, though my only reason for thinking so is the title of the final episode.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    this episode felt kind of disjointed to me and was one of my least favorite ones this season. it just felt like they were throwing in too much stuff to build the tension, which will pay off later i'm sure, but during the episode i didn't really feel it. i tend to get more sucked in by the episodes that really focus on one or two storylines and the connections between characters.

the stuff with betty is kind of weird to me. i can only think that she must either still have feelings for don or for once is actually thinking about her kids, because i can't think of any other reason why she wouldn't just rat don out to the fbi, or at least tell her husband the truth.

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Why would she keep it? There was a scene in this season that informed/hinted at the fact that Joannie has had at least two-three abortions prior, unless I totally misread that scene.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    You never know. Maybe she just decided she actually wanted a child at this stage in her life.

I thought this episode was great. Don completely freaking out and having a panic attack at the thought of being thrown in prison for desertion was extremely tense. I kept having to remind myself this wasn't actually the season finale. Really looking forward to seeing what they'll do with the last two episodes.

-sj loves kevin spacey

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    joan is a really hard character to read. i really don't know how she's feeling about the pregnancy, roger, or her husband at this point.

17. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    I disagree. I think

a.) Betty doesn't want to have the father of her children put away in jail forever
    b.) Betty doesn't want her gossipy friends to know that her ex-husband is a pauper turned deserter turned con man.
    c) Betty doesn't want to explain the craziness of Don's past to her politically connected husband becauseshe doesn't want to have the father of her children put away in jail forever

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    She clearly still has feelings for him-- the producers are practically beating us over the head with it-- and that instills a certain amount of loyalty in her.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, i mean with all the "i hate him and wish he was dead" stuff plus the fact that she was really in some sense the innocent victim of don's deception you'd think she'd be after some revenge. the father of her children? like she cares. her gossipy friends? again this was something she had no part in, she'd only get sympathy. she still has feelings for don, anything else defies her bizarre logic.

20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Don's secretary = hot! thumbs up
    Agency losing Lucky Strike and Glo-Coat! thumbs down
    Peggy getting some action! thumbs up
    Only two more episodes left this season! thumbs down

What a roller coaster ride!

21. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Well, on an up note, they might be getting Heinz, which would be a pretty big account you'd think. That would take some of the sting off of loosing American Tobacco.

22. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I like how in a few short years it becomes clear that tobacco advertising is about to die. In the long run SDCP will win that one. If they can hang in.

Also, Guy and I were talking about this... hands up if you think the series ends with Roger killing himself.

*raises hand*

-sj loves kevin spacey

23. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Ummm....maybe? :p

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, a blogger who writes awesome episode recaps has a theory that the series is going to end with Don killing himself (as "foreshadowed" by the opening credits). I just thought that at this point it seems a lot more likely that Roger will kill himself. :p

25. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I thought Roger was going to off himself in this last episode. They keep foreshadowing it.