Amph [MAD MEN] Guy walks into an advertising agency...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingthlayer, Jul 25, 2010.

1. World_Cup_Wally Jedi Master

star 4
    I can see Roger killing himself, but I don't think it would be in the last episode.

btw, Miss Blankenship is played by the actress who played Daniel Larusso's mother in Karate Kid! :eek:
  2. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    Lucille Larusso! "Ok and pop it!" Haha NICE!
  3. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Well my brother and I have both shared that theory since way before I ever read anybody else's thoughts on the show (ie a week ago :p). I figure it's probably a fairly common theory. But I agree with you that at this stage it seems Don might be more likely to survive and Roger might kill himself. Which would be terribly sad considering he's my favorite, but also not surprising given the way his life is going.

Holy crap! Never in a million years would I have guessed that. I was wondering how she got so incredibly old, but it looks like from other recent photos that they did a fair amount of makeup on her to make her look older. I mean she's 63 but they make her look more like what 80 looks like now.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  4. tom Chosen One

star 6
    i think there are some twists and turns left in roger's story arc. i think he'll pull it back together at some point, though i wouldn't be surprised if it falls apart again. but if he did off himself i agree with wally that it wouldn't be in the last episode. the last episode should be focused on don for the most part.
  5. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    No, I don't think Roger would kill himself in the series finale.
  6. Espaldapalabras Force Ghost

star 5
    I hope the opening sequence isn't turned into some clue that Don jumps to his death from an actual skyscraper. I thought it was much more clever as a metaphor for the American man succumbing to over consumption.

Roger seems too pathetic to kill himself, and while suicide can be viewed in some contexts as the ultimate act of selfishness and Roger is surely that, I just don't think he has it in him.
  7. kingthlayer Force Ghost

star 4
    I thought the intro symbolized the '60s turning the world upside-down for white-collar white men. If you take it literally, then Don lands on a couch after falling from the skyscraper.

I don't think Roger will kill himself, but he could have a third heart attack. If he does, I hope he redeems himself first because he has been at his worst over the past couple episodes.
  8. tom Chosen One

star 6
    he has been at his worst, but as always i love how human it all is. i mean who could blame him for being at his worst after all the bad decisions he's made chasing after his youth. and that's all set up by the heart attacks, you can see how one might adopt an attitude of "life's short". he left his wife, is estranged from his daughter, married a secretary, and blew it with the the one woman he really loved. his professional life was a joke, only being left with one account, and then that rug was suddenly pulled out from under him. who wouldn't be at their worst?
  9. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Agreed. He really is about as down as you can get. And some of it is definitely his fault. He coasted in his job and enjoyed what he was given without doing real work and getting new accounts. He screwed things up with Joan long ago. But I still feel sorry for the guy.

If he does kill himself, it won't be in the series finale, no. I do think that it might happen, though. And perhaps his memoir won't be as funny then.
  10. tom Chosen One

star 6
    the question of whether joan went through with the abortion could be what determines if he pulls it together.
  11. kingthlayer Force Ghost

star 4
    I really enjoyed tonight's episode.

I hope Bert isn't gone, even though he didn't have much to do this season. It just felt rather.. sudden. I find it hard to believe the man who was willing to put his fortune on a start-up agency would just walk out like that. Or, that Roger would just let him go without protest. I hope he is just blowing off steam!
  12. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    lol the guy's RFK impression

But Don's ad was awesome. And I'm not sure what's happening with The Coopster.
  13. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I took that as him just being doom and gloom, not actually quitting... but I guess if he really was done with putting in his own money, maybe he will be gone. I mean, the dude can retire. He doesn't need to do anything as a job :p I'm not quite sure why he'd put himself through the stress.

I have been wondering all season if they were working up to something to do with smoking adverts being banned (though first they had the thing with equal amounts of anti-smoking adverts being required). Anyway, I didn't quite expect them to go this route, though. Awesome. In a couple years, Don will look like a genius. And the company gets to be good guys for real for once!

-sj loves kevin spacey
  14. tom Chosen One

star 6
    what did bert even do for the agency anymore? i mean i can understand those guys being freaked out but don really is the face of the agency and he was also the only on really sticking his neck out. they need to get behind him, it's not like they had any prospects for another way out of their situation. but i have a feeling the season is going to end on an up note.
  15. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Cooper was probably using his wealth to help the company. We've never really seen him do anything except weigh in on some issues. Lane was running the day-to-day things with Joan (at least until his father beat him with a cane). Sterling sat around and kept Lucky Strike happy. Pete was getting accounts (remember North American Aviation?). Don was... being Don.

He's the most well-known guy in the company, but Sterling is the only apparently-useless partner, I think.
  16. tom Chosen One

star 6
    yeah, i know what they all do at the agency but the point was that there's no agency without don. and even with don they have no future if they aren't willing to take a huge gamble like this. it's probably going to end up being the best move they ever made.

i wonder if sal is dead in a ditch somewhere or what. i know he was a pretty minor character and we didn't really need any follow up, but american tobacco leaving sort of opens the door for his return. obviously not now when they're slashing their staff but possibly next season. if he is still alive and in new york somewhere he probably saw don's ad.
  17. kingthlayer Force Ghost

star 4
    Sal has been confirmed as "not dead", and he probably saw it.

I'm sure Sal will be back, and I hope Bert will return too. It bothers me how he just quit after using so much of his money to get the firm up and running. According to this, he is quitting for real.
  18. World_Cup_Wally Jedi Master

star 4
    I totally thought it was RFK!
  19. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Disney is going to save SCDP. You heard it here first.

Well, I read the theory somewhere else. It makes sense.
  20. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    Was that last episode the season finale?
  21. darth_boy Jedi Master

star 7
    what about beard dude with black gf, he was pretty cool
  22. tom Chosen One

star 6
    one more episode.
  23. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
  24. darthdrago Force Ghost

star 4
    If the show's storyline somehow makes it to 1969, then I'm certain will see Sal again. Stonewall happened in June 1969, and that would be a logical point for Sal to re-emerge. Of course it would make even better sense for him to return much sooner now that Lucky Strike's bailed out on them.

I never really realized until this season how much I hate Betty's character. :mad: I once spent several years working with a passive-aggressive person. Talk about pure evil...
  25. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Betty is the worst, but it's not entirely her fault. I think it goes to show how childish a woman like that can be when neither her parents or husband ever expected her to grow up. It's partly her fault, but it sure took Don a long time to ever see her as an adult, too. But yes, she's horrible.

Do you guys think they'll stop when it hits 1970 or keep going? I think they should stop skipping years and could just do a year at a time and still have 4 more season. Or if they're content with something more like 6 seasons, they could still skip years. But personally I would end the series with New Years Eve 1970. The moon landing has got to be a huge event.

-sj loves kevin spacey