Amph [MAD MEN] Guy walks into an advertising agency...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingthlayer, Jul 25, 2010.

1. World_Cup_Wally Jedi Master

star 4
    The show can't survive 70s fashion. Don will kill himself when he's confronted with wide lapels.
  2. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    I want it to stop at the end of the 80s. Legit.
  3. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I guess if they really wanted to keep skipping ahead they could go to 75 and the end of the Vietnam War, but I really think that's insanity. OR they could end with May 25th, 1977.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  4. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    Are those truly the only options.
  5. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Should end on December 21st, 2012.
  6. Espaldapalabras Force Ghost

star 5
    70s fashion trends? Don visits a disco club? If Don doesn't jump I'd push him.

I think there is a lot to explore in the 1960s, and really they should basically just go off of how Sally ages.
  7. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    If they go to the 70s, there are ONLY two things you need to know about the 70s. So yes.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  8. Espaldapalabras Force Ghost

star 5
    Also why can't people leave Sal alone? I think he's gone, just like Kinsey and co. At most Don might run into him, but even with Lucky Strike out of the picture I just don't think SCDP will bring him back.
  9. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7

I hope that's sarcasm.
  10. kingthlayer Force Ghost

star 4
    I hope they end the show with season six. Another two seasons should be just enough for it to be entertaining without jumping the shark. It isn't a show about American history, so why would we want to keep going into the 70s and 80s?
  11. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    I hope they go back in time.
  12. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7

It's a show about American culture, not history. Maybe you don't find that interesting for it to keep going, but I'd certainly want to watch that.
  13. darthdrago Force Ghost

star 4
    I like the idea of ending the show in 1969. Several different points it could end on: Nixon's inauguration, Stonewall (taking place in Manhattan), Apollo 11 landing, Woodstock (taking place in upstate NY), Manson murders, Altamont.

Besides, you just know that by 1970 Sally will turn into the biggest, raging Hippie. [face_peace] 8-}

I can't see the show in the 1970s. Don will have contracted half a dozen STDs by then. :p
  14. tom Chosen One

star 6
    i think the apollo landing will be featured for sure, but i'm also sure that the show isn't building up to end on some historical event. with the exception of the kennedy assassination the historical stuff is usually in the background.

i agree with goodfellas that six seasons should be about perfect, and that's how long matt weiner has said he sees the show lasting.
  15. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Don will find out that the moon landing was faked. You heard it here first.
  16. World_Cup_Wally Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm pretty sure that NASA hires Don to come up with something inspired for Armstrong to say after stepping on the moon in order to really sell future moon landings to the public and he goes insane with rage when Armstrong forgets the 'a' causing him to start the fake moon landing theory in order to discredit those bastards at NASA.
  17. kingthlayer Force Ghost

star 4
    No, its a show about a handful of people working at an advertising agency in the '60s. The culture and history of the period seep into the story, but are NOT the story.
  18. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I am never sarcastic.

19. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    The Vietnam War I understand. But what's the second date about?
  20. World_Cup_Wally Jedi Master

star 4
    After watching that episode I took one main thing from it and that is that Joan's husband is the greediest man in the world.

Nice to see Don happy. Kind of quick and weird but oh well. Or is he just getting himself steak dinner?

And because of you people I spent most of the episode expecting someone to die. I thought one of the kids would drown in the pool or die when he left them alone while he was banging his future wife.
  21. kingthlayer Force Ghost

star 4
    The finale gets a great big MEH.

I am not too keen on the Megan character, even though she appears kind, is good with the kids and speaks French. I think she makes a good nanny for them, but is too young for Don so its hard for me to take their engagement seriously.

BUT, the reaction at SCDP was priceless. The scene between Peggy and Joan was really well acted and shot. The general bewilderment amongst all of the employees was perfect and made the plot development sit better with me.

I was also disappointed that we didn't get to meet Emerson Foote or Walt Disney. Or see the company get pulled back from the abyss. How does Peggy's 750k account make up for Lucky Strike's 22 million? The episode was very anticlimactic, especially after all the panic of Chinese Wall and Blowing Smoke.

Despite what I feel is the worst season finale of the series, this was overall the best season of Mad Men so far. It has been a fun ride.
  22. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    Good episode. I kind of like how the interesting bits were the office scenes and the parts about the new account, but they were overshadowed by all the useless scenes about Don and his CA crap. I dunno if they did that on purpose.

But I really want to see more Joan + Peggy. They've become far more interesting as characters.
  23. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Don obviously doesn't love Megan, unfortunately for her. He just misses Anna and is desperate for that kind of affection. What he said, "I feel like myself around you" is especially telling. He felt that way with Anna. She's the only one he was able to confide in. The marriage won't last, if the engagement even gets to that point. He ruined things with a woman who's a better fit for him (Faye), and he's going to regret that.

"Swimming pools, movie stars..." lol Beverly Hillbillies.

Awww, Betty's jealous.

Joan keeping the baby was predictable.

I'm actually glad it was relatively subdued. Not every season finale needs to be earth-shattering.
  24. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    That seemed.... random. Although it's Don, so it does make sense. Faye was the only woman outside of Anna in whom he's ever confided anything real. I'm sure opening up like that scared him and sent him running in the other direction. Unfortunately for Megan, she happens to be that other direction. This will not end well. At least with Betty he started out actually caring about her.

I loved the Peggy and Joan scene. I think we're going to start getting even more feminist and other social unrest in the upcoming seasons. Like many, I knew Joan kept the baby. This is going to suck horribly for Roger. Now I'm even *more* sure he's eventually going to kill himself.

Kind of a weird finale, though Guy's right, not all finales need to go out with a bang. It was just kind of out of left field. Though I suppose that makes sense for Don.

I agree this has probably been the best overall season yet.

-sj loves kevin spacey
  25. tom Chosen One

star 6
    well i thought the finale was great and pretty epic. it seems everyone is just assuming that the engagement is something that won't last, but i saw a real transformation in don. the fallout and having to tell faye and everyone else kind of put a damper on it, but when was the last time we saw don draper that happy? maybe never? sure, most of what happened was predictable, but that's because the whole season has been building up to it. it's kind of how the show works.

i was definitely not let down that they didn't suddenly save the agency with some miracle giant account. it's more real if it takes some time.