main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Madine's Thread - Updated - Watto and Chewie

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by semicooke, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. semicooke

semicooke Legacy Concept Artist star 1 VIP

Dec 1, 1998
    Hey gang,

Been a long time since I last posted on the board here and it seems the forums devoured my old, old, OLD thread. :) Just been seeing a lot of cool stuff here lately and I find myself checking back so often, I thought I'd join the community and say hi. :)

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/starwars/images/Dooku_Fett.jpg]

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/starwars/images/Falconchase.jpg]

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/starwars/images/Outerrim.jpg]

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/comics/images/sw_1.jpg]

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/comics/images/sw_2.jpg]

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/comics/images/sw_3.jpg]

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/starwars/images/Padme_sketch.jpg]

2. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    Oh my word!
    I LOVE the Falcon chase picture- Imperial Star Destroyers ae BEAUTIFUL! [face_blush]
    The Padme sketch is wonderful too- great likeness!
    Heh, the cartoons are also like everything else AWESOME!
    :D

3. NLSkywalker

NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    Wow,I really like the Padme one: very fairy-like and WONDERFUL shading! Good Job!

4. Star_Angel

Star_Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2006
    Oh wow, just wow.

Amazing job Madine=D=

Oh, and I have a question, did you draw those two first one by hand because if you did, how did you do the lightsaber, blaster shots affect thing, it looks really cool? If not, then you did an amazing job with a computer.

5. semicooke

Dec 1, 1998
    Thanks guys!

Yeah in these the laser bolts and lightsabers are done in PSHOP. I'm trying to get better with the ol airbrush..but it isn't easy for me.

I would like to start doing all that stuff on the original artwork though, I hate not having an 'original' you know? Practice, practice..

6. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    ...And yet another new thread in which I find myself muttering "Wow" and "Holy Cr@#!!"

These are all just wonderful, Madine! I really admire (...and envy!) the wide variety of styles/media you're using here, too: everything from traditional colored pencils (or pastels or chalks or whatever Padme was rendered with) to complex digital work to pen-and-ink...amazing! The Padme piece (and here's your "original," my friend! ;) ) is just beautiful in the detailing (would love to see this a little larger, too, the better to examine those details)--the shading and colors and highlights are all just beautiful! The likeness to Natalie lacks a little (and believe me, I understand completely how difficult her face is to capture--many of my own attempts at her end up "in the bin," so to speak!), but in light of the superb quality of the piece this is such a minor point. The face, hair and clothing are just gorgeously rendered--a very professional-looking piece! Your comic studies are also wonderful: I especially like Vader and some of your Imperial officers (you have a real gift for capturing expressions here!)--the Wookiees are great!! Very clean and professional linework, and the inking (whether it's been done by hand or in PS) is just great! I'm running out of superlatives again! lol! All just fabulous work, and we're so glad you shared it here! We'll definitely be looking forward to more, and a warm welcome to the forum! :D

FF

7. Vicu

Vicu Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2004
    That's awesome work. As well as all the stuff on your website. Why haven't I seen any of this published? The comics companies could sure use an artist like you, hopefully get Wizard magazine to forget about Micheal Turner for a while.

Also wondering about the context of those pictures and a bunch of those on your site. The only one i can guess for sure is that the 3rd one is a concpetual version of Anakin and Obi Wan during the clone wars. Please tell, what are those pics about exactly?

Edit: Im guessing in the bruce timm-ish drawings that is an older version of Luke with the beard. He looks just like Mark Hammil does now. Never seen an artist draw luke that way. Hats off to you for that! Mark Hammil rules!

8. semicooke

Dec 1, 1998
    Wow. Many thanks FF and Vicu!

FF: Yeah it's funny. There's just something that I can't put my finger on about the Padme pic. A friend of mine believes the nose is off. *shrug*
    All the comic inking was done with a brush nibbed pen. Gotta love those things. Great way to quickly capture the effect of a brushed inked piece!

Vicu: As far as being published, I'm getting there slowly. I've been doing a lot of concept work for Star Wars: Legacy lately and there's a possibility, I hope, of working with the INSIDER. So who knows you might see more of me around soon.
    The conceptual piece with Anakin and Obi-Wan is actually a piece I did a bit back for forum member JediGaladriel. She wrote these great fan-fiction stories,(if you're into that, I suggest reading Father's Heart) and the one in mention was called Outer-Rim I believe. It had, IIRC, an Anakin that never turned to the darkside, living out the rest of his non-jedi life at a moisture farm on Tatooine when Obi-Wan comes back into his life looking for help. Unwittingly, he has the bad guys trailing him right to Anakins house...
    Thanks on Mark! :) My one pet peeve about Star Wars(books, comics etc.) art is having a picture of a post-ROTJ Luke just look exactly like he did in ROTJ. 5 years later, 20....doesn't matter, always looks the same. Same Hair. Black Tunic. I would think he would start to look like Ben a bit...*shrug*

Thanks for the welcome guys! Any one of you have a thread here?

9. mMathab

mMathab Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2001
    I missed you Sean.

10. semicooke

Dec 1, 1998
    mMathab...hmmm..now that name seems familiar...:)

How's it going?

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    =D= I love the Padme pic best. Beautiful style.

12. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    yes, that Padme fic definitely does have a mystical edge to it. and the shades...reminds me of sand....lots of it ;)

beautiful work.

13. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Man, you got some AWESOME stuff! I checked your site, and WOW.... you're the guy who got the chance to do some stuff for Dark Horse: Imperial Ship concepts for Legacy! [face_peace] You're even featured in the new Insider... [face_hypnotized]

14. -Courtney-

-Courtney- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 8, 2005
    I feel that Padme's nose is a little too big but I love your animated stuff.

15. DarthMikus

DarthMikus Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    Awesome work, sean.
    I loved the whole website..even the design. I'm looking foward to seeing what else you're going to be up to.

16. semicooke

Dec 1, 1998
    Thanks DM! Glad you liked the site.

Courtney: Yeah I'm starting to see how the nose might be slightly too bulbous. It's amazing how sometimes you just have to step away from something long enough to see what others see.

17. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow!!! That is some amazing art work. I love them all, but the one of Alec Guiness is spot on. What an amazing likeness!

Great job!!

AG88

18. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Wow! This is some amazing stuff you've done! I particularly like the Star Destroyer / Millenium Falcon piece for it's sense of movement. The Luke / Obi-Wan image also really stands out with the great detail and likenesses of the characters you captured. I'm very impressed and look forward to seeing more!

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    First off, let me say it's a real honor to have another official Lucas artist in our midst! Thank you so much for dropping by and sharing some of your stuff! It's truly amazing! =D=

Now onto the works themselves, I'm gonna have to say the AU piece of Anakin and Obi-Wan on Tatooine is my favorite. Excellent likenesses and the image of Anakin at that age is just how I would imagine him. Great work!

20. semicooke

Dec 1, 1998
    Hi guys.

Thanks for the kind words all! It's my pleasure browsing the boards and looking at everybody's work. It's great to see eveybody so passionate about their Star Wars Art!

That AU piece was great to do. I loved the chance to depict a 'different path' Anakin, and putting "Hayden" and "Alec" together was fun. :)

This was a piece I did a long, long time ago for a member here on the boards. It was for a proposed TFN Fan Comic:

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/tfn/watto.jpg]

And this was a sketch I recently completed for a friend. Chewie's Hamlet moment: (That is Hamlet, right? lol)

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/tfn/chewie.jpg]

21. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    WOW madine they are both just AWESOME!!!! Watto REALLY looks like Watto!! :D He's awesome!! And chewie and C3po are wonderfully drawn, great likenesses!!!

22. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, man...these are amazing! The series of Watto frames is just gorgeous--was this done in watercolors? That's what it looks like to me...lovely transluscent washes to suggest that sandy Tatooine environment. Beautiful! And I love the way you did the wings--sort of the way a hummingbird's wings look: just a blur. And the Chewbacca piece is just wonderful! I saw this photo as a wallpaper recently (not quite sure where now...) with the quote from Hamlet--how very appropriate! The atmosphere of the piece is very contemplative, as was the scene in the film, and Chewie looks so great (fabulous job with the fur!)! Beautiful work, Madine! =D==D=

FF

23. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Those are some wonderful drawings, Madine. I especially like Chewie and C3P0. I am a big Luke/Mara 'shipper, have you done any of them?

AG88

24. semicooke

Dec 1, 1998
    :) Thanks!

Nidrail: It was an attempt to do something really quickly. I've always found it tough though, quickly sketching Wookies :). I try to keep it loose, but it doesn't look right to me until I keep going in there with shading and more shading so that it resembles hair of some sort.

FalconFan: Thanks! I'm a big fan of Alex Ross (comic artist). When he first showed up, I just thought the look that he captured was great. I went digging around and found out how he does it. It's basically a tonal black and white gouache structural underpainting, over which he lays his gouache colors. I've tried that and the fact that when you lay the colors over the black and white..it tends to smear and move the black tones around, is too much for me. So I adapted it with doing the underpainting in watered down black acrylic. I like having the underpainting *locked* and immovable once done, but believe you me, you have to work very fast with watered down acrylics! Even with an added retardent, which I do use, they don't act exactly like watercolors. But as soon as thats dry, I just go over that painting with appropriate gouache colors. :)

academygrad88: Strangely enough, even though I've drawn Star Wars for the majority of my life I only very recently started doing EU stuff. I've never actually done a shot of Mara. (minus a comic piece I'm working on currently that has her present in the panels). The closest I've come to Mara is a shot I did of Talon Karrde :) :

[image=http://www.seancooke.com/starwars/images/Karrde.jpg]

25. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    That is an absolutely beautiful painting. That reminds me of some of those famous oil paintings you see hanging in museums. Is that done digitally or was it done on canvas and scanned?

There is something familiar about his face. Did you use a well known actor as a reference while making Karrde? For some reason he reminds me of somebody, but I can't figure out who (other than Karrde, of course). Beautiful job. Karrde is a great EU character. It is nice to see a wonderful rendering of him.

AG88

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.