Madison, WI Madison Costuming Thread!

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by Forcebewitya, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok so I figured we could use one of these. Since we discussed at the last meeting how we dont really do much with the boards I figured this could be a start. You all know what costumes I do and am working on but I know Bevin and Natalie are into it as well and this could be a starting point for everyone if you guys want. So we'll see how this goes. Commence the discussing,

Forcebewitya.
  2. Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR

star 6
    Current Costume Projects:

SW Related:
    Finishing with the last of the details on my red Twi'lek
    • lining of shoulder piece
    • embroidery of gauntlets and shoulder piece

Non-SW Related:
    Princess Zelda [The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess]
    • currently working on the pattern for her tabard

List of Costumes I Would Eventually Like to Make (These lists are a bit... long :p):

SW Related:
    Darth Talon
    Flame Handmaiden
    Nyrat Agira
    Endor Leia
    Slave Leia
    Mandalorian
    Mara Jade
    Deliah Blue
    Bith (complete with instrument)
    Earwen Lightrider (my RP character)
    Another Twi'lek :p (maybe Astraal Vao)
    Aurra Sing
    Zam Wesell
    SW Lego (not sure which character ? probably Leia)

Non-SW Related:
    Vela (Bevan wants to do Juno and we also are planning on figuring out Lupus and Floyd) [Jet Force Gemini]
    Midna (human form - maybe imp too) [The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess]
    Arwen [LOTR]
    Kaoru [Rurouni Kenshin]
    Kaywinnit Lee "Kaylee" Frye [Firefly]
    Can Can Outfit
    Fairy
    Elisabeth Swan [POTC]
    Princess Aurora [Sleeping Beauty]
    Temari [Naruto]

Freestanding Props I?d Love to Make:

SW Related:
    R2D2
    Ewok
    Jawa
    Jabba (He'd be fun as a giant stuffed sofa :p)

Non-SW Related:
    Lupus [Jet Force Gemini]
    Floyd [Jet Force Gemini]
    Dragon

I'm sure I'm forgetting some :p
  3. Rick_Sith Force Ghost

star 3
    That's quite a list, Nat!

I've always wanted to make or see someone else make a Dark Helmet costume.
    And during the meeting I wanted to make the Brain Slug.

Always wanted to make a lightsaber, but can never settle on the design.
  4. SkyeLightrider Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    [Faints at Natalie's list] Well, I know where our discretionary money is going! :p

I do want to fix my Skye costume. I was unimpressed with my holster design, plus I didn't do some other accessories. The Jedi Robes are fine for now.

Current projects:

I'm working on designs for Juno from Jet Force Gemini. Still trying to figure out all the designs and stuff. Thanks Brent for the website about armor casting... I'm not sure how involved I want to get in that. Maybe a few of those costume fridays I could observe how you guys are making your Samus armor while I keep designing.

Hopeful projects:

Link (to match Nat's Zelda)
    Solid Snake (MGS: Twin Snakes iteration)
    Maybe Sora from Kingdom Hearts

Prop characters:
    Wolf Link (if Nat does the imp version of Midna)
    Lupus and Floyd from Jet Force Gemini

Some thoughts:

Brent, in searching for stuff for Juno, I found this stuff called electroluminescent wire, or el-wrie. Probably would be a great thing to use for the light-up bits on the Samus armors if you aren't using it already.

edit: Rick, I've seen a Dark Helmet. There was a young one in the costume contest at CIV
  5. Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR

star 6
    Wish lists are allowed to be long :p

If I did a costume from Spaceballs I would need a buddy to do it with me because I would want to do this:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/EarwenLightrider/Spaceballs/comb.jpg]

Who says you have to stop after one?

I never claimed that everything on that list would be done or how soon it would be done... just that I wanted to do them :p
  6. ROGUE_NINER Jedi Master

star 4
    If I were to ever do a costume I'd either do Star Wars, Darth Revan
    and for non Star Wars
    DC comic characters
  7. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah we're planning to get a ton of EL wire for Samus the Dark suit that I'm making probably wont use that much mostly just red LED's but Michelle's will definitely use a ton of EL wire.

I'm so glad you guys are doing Juno and Vela that is still one of my favorite games I'd love to do a Juno costume as well given more time and money ^_^

If you need help with your Zelda costumes I know how to make the belts and gauntlets for Link quite proficiently now so I'd be happy to help you out or you can just buy some from me if you want ^_^. And also like I said Demarlo and I have made TP Zelda armor on commission here's a pic.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1258902

While we're discussing lists of costumes though here are my ambitions.

Gambit Comic/Cartoon version- I started this costume over the summer and have ordered a custom chest piece that looks like Gambit's (since I'm not that ripped lol) that still hasnt been mailed to me....which I'm pissed about and now I'm not sure if I still want to do this costume since having that money back would be really nice right now. I still love the costume though so hopefully I can still do it.

Dark Suit Samus- Most of you know about this one already this will go along with Michelle's Varia Suit, my friend Amy's Phazon Suit, and my friend Demarlo's Light Suit. All I've done on this so far is get the base of the helmet started and part of the shoulder armor started. I've been helping Michelle with hers and she's a lot further along.

Magic Armor Link- No one's done this version of TP link yet so I'd like to be one of the first. His armor is similar to Zelda's so I'm confident that I could do it. It's just a really cool costume too.

Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil 2 Version)- I'm seriously like 90% complete with this costume I just have to sew a few more things together I've just been really lazy.

Lobster Shirt Link (Wind Waker)- I want to make this before November (youmacon) so that I have a costume that's SUPER comfortable that I can just hang out in after a day in full costume.

So those are my plans, I actually dont have any more Star Wars costumes in progress right now which kind of sucks I kind of want to do the McQuarrie Luke Skywalker on Bespin (with the gas mask) that would be really cool...also I've tossed around the idea of Darth Krayt now that I know his true identity is A'sharad Hett so that would be cool that would be a huge project though.

Anyway great start to the thread I hope this takes off a bit, I also had the idea to do a prop of wolf link. I wanted to get a taxidermist to make one custom for me using like a wolf that was hit by a car or something and then dying the fur etc...that would just be SOO cool. Anyway talk to you all later.

Forcebewitya.
  8. SkyeLightrider Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, the costumes are in design right now. Mainly due to costs; getting married leaves a few bills to pay off first. Anyway, I took a look at that website about armor construction. So you guys actually did the whole wrap person, plaster, fiberglass, then clay, plaster, and fiberglass again? Wow. I guess the good thing is you have a fiberglass mold of your body for further costumes.

One thing I found interesting, for the Jet Force team each has a symbol to represent them. Juno's belt has Lupus' symbol on it. Might be the one thing I change.

And yeah, I'm using EL wire for Juno's armor, including the knees and elbows, the piping, and the guns.
  9. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    We actually havent started the casting process right now but we are planning to cast each other and then make the clay armor etc... We just need to find the right plaster. I'm wondering if you can substitute plaster of paris for the ultracal that he talks about since I cant find that stuff around here. I'm going to do some more research and hopefully get started on that next week.

Forcebewitya.
  10. SkyeLightrider Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Let us know. I'm interested in observing/helping/getting ideas for my own.

Never worked with plaster or fiberglass, so learning would be helpful.
  11. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah I think it will be quite the learning experience for all of us ^_^ I hope it turns out well.

Forcebewitya.
  12. AilesArgentees Jedi Knight

star 1
    I just went to JoAnn Fabrics today to get felt for a shark costume, and almost everything was 50% off. There is also a coupon for the 21st through the 23rd that is 50% off any one item that is not on sale. And there is another coupon for the rest of the week as well.

Even though the shark costume isn't really Star Wars, I'll post pictures of it here when it's done XD XD
  13. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    go right ahead and post pictures ^_^ thanks for the heads up on the sale!

Forcebewitya.
  14. Sauntaero Force Ghost

star 4
    Oooh, I just thought of this! One of my friends in Minnesota makes chainmaille and related jewelry/accessories. If anyone on here is interested in medieval reenactments, I could pass on his number, etc. Who doesn't need a maille shirt these days? :p

Hope all is going great in Madison! Hope to see you all next fall!
  15. ROGUE_NINER Jedi Master

star 4
    We'd love to have you back, hopefully the snow will be gone by then.

who wouldn't want some chainmaille
  16. TheModFavorite Force Ghost

star 4
    as the mod favorite, i would have to pass on that wanting chain mail. i hear it chafes and pinches in some most uncomfortable ways.
  17. ROGUE_NINER Jedi Master

star 4
    Thats why you should wear a shirt under it
  18. TheModFavorite Force Ghost

star 4
    alas, shirts won't stop the chafing and pinching.
  19. Kagt_Zan Jedi Padawan

Another list of cosumes ^_^

unfortunatly, only planed for now... >_>

--------------
    storm gray Jedi robes
    Shinigami *bleach* /(Ichigo accompanied by Rukia?)
    Able Nightroad *Trinity Blood-manga* (accompanied by Esther Blanchet)
    Rurouni Kenshin (accompanied by Karoru-san)
    Dante *Devil May Cry - Anime* (accompanied by Lady?)
    Virgil *DMC 3*
    Nero (?) *DMC 4*
    Vash The Stampede *Trigun* (accompanied by Meryl Strife?)
    Spartan 2 (black armor) *Halo*
    Hagi *Blood+* (accompanied by Saya)
    Edward Elric (older/taller)*Full Metal Alchemist*
    Organization 13 member *Kingdom Hearts 2*
    Vincent Valentine *FF7:Advent Children* (accompanied by Tifa, Lucrecia, or Shelke)
    Alucard *Hellsing Ultimate OVA* (accompanied by Integra)
    Amon *Witch Hunter Robin* (accompanied by Robin)

well thats jsut about all of them that i can remember right now heh ^_^v

Kagt Zan
  20. Unit-Zero Jedi Knight

star 2
    Kaouru-DONO! It's Kaouru-Dono. You better get that right when you cosplay.
  21. Kagt_Zan Jedi Padawan

i know, and i will be doing it right when i do that costume, but here im not speaking as Kenshin ^_- so here :p

Kagt Zan ^_^
  22. Kagt_Zan Jedi Padawan

OGM did i kill it? O_O...

sorry....

Kagt_Zan
  23. Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR

star 6
    You didn't kill it. It just took a nap.

Slave Leia has been bumped up on the list with a scheduled start date of Jan. next year. It's the motivation for all my workouts right now :p Gotta get in shape in order to sport that one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.