main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Magic of Myth at Toledo Museum

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by greencat336, Jul 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    The travelling Smithsonian display gets there on Aug 5.

I will most definetly be going, most likely some time in Aug. I think this would make a great outing for the Steel City JK!

According to the Yahoo map maker, it takes 4 hrs, 42 minutes to get from Monroeville to the Museum. Personally, I am inclined to make it an overnight trip, but it is also within the realm of day trip, if we leave early, early in the morning.

What say you? Anyone interested? My car can fit 3 others (though be warned, I do NOT have AC and I tend to take the speed limit signs as gentle suggestions rather than requirements)

As always, those under 18 should bring a parent/guardian.

There is a discount for groups of at least 10 people!

2. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Where is the website for the traveling Smithsonian? Will it be coming closer to Pittsburgh?

3. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Sadly, the exhibit will not be coming to Pittsburgh. I think Toledo is the closest it will come.

I do not have the smithsonian website address, but here is the Toledo Museum's

www.toledomuseum.org

4. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I found the link for the Star Wars exhibit:
    http://www.si.edu/sites/exhibit/starwars.htm

It will be at the Toledo museum until 1/5/02, but I can't find out any info on where it will be after that.

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I definately want to go, a four hour trip sounds about right. I saw a Korn concert in Toledo a couple of years ago and if I remember correctly it took us about four hours to get there.

6. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I would try to find out where it is going next. Maybe there is an email contact to ask, but I didn't see anything on the website. Also, its possible that they would move it to indy for the festival coming next year.

7. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    I wonder if the Carnegie museums take requests for exhibits. I guess the Science Center would be better equipt for such an event, but the museum in Oakland might be more appropriate.

8. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Hey everyone

The Exibit is coming to Brooklyn, NY(where I live) next year. We have been in contact with the Brooklyn museum of Art and will be helping with the planning of some events surrounding the Exhibit. It will be great for us fans in NYC. I know we are about 8 hours from Pittsburgh though.

For anyone that does not make it to the Toledo Exhibit, I am extending this invition to you guys well in advance. Word is since we will be getting it at Episode 2 time, we may be getting something special ;) Don't quote me on that though.

9. corran_16201

corran_16201 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2000
    The Sci Center would be better could you see us in the history museum in costume? I would pay to see me in my new custom fett in front of the T-Rex

10. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Although I'm not discounting a trip to NYC next year to see it again, I will be journeying out to Toledo to see the exhibit sometime in August.

Is anyone else interested in going? I would like to make this a planning thread, as in finding out if anyone else wants to come, what date would everyone like to go, overnight or daytrip, etc.

My preferences (which are flexible, I'm willing to compromise if a majority wants something different): Go in early August, during the week rather than weekend when it would be more crowded, and make it an overnighter not a daytrip (on this last point I'm most willing to be overruled, if others prefer a day trip) and I'm willing to go in costume if other people do too.

What say you?

11. corran_16201

Nov 28, 2000
    If I can hitch a ride and someone could explain this to my parents I could go on a day trip. night trip is proabably a no go. I'd be willing to go in my new custom fett if anyone else goes in costume.

12. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Bring your parents to the July meeting so they can meet us. Want me to bring my Criminal/Child Abuse clearances with me :)

13. corran_16201

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it, I took the 28th off work to go to Kennywood with my friends and I got the feeling I'll get stuck with a shift a the resturant on sunday.

14. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I went to kennywood yesterday the new phantom is pretty good but I miss the corkscrew. The indoor coaster was closed all day so I didn't get to go on it, maybe next time.

15. corran_16201

Nov 28, 2000
    I liked the new phantom I never got to rid to old one though. The indoor one is friccking awsome but I got this problem on the first hill theres a dummy in an exterminator costume and I always yell orange jumpsuit! I always wanna get one for a x-wing costume

16. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    How is Weds. Aug 15th for a tenative date to go to Toledo to see the Magic of Myth exibit? We could meet around 6:30 AM, that would get us to Toledo around 10:30. Have lunch at the museum, dinner on the way back. Besides the SW exhibit, I'd also like to see the 'Companion Exhibit: The Heroic Tradition: Art and the Mythic Journey'.

What say you?

17. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Sounds good to me, I just would have to get that day off school.

18. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    I got a packet of info in the mail from the Toledo Museum. Here are the highlights. If you want more info, just ask :)

Exhibit blurb: "One of the most visited Smithsonian exhibitions of all thimes, the Magic of Myth illustrates how the artists of Lucasfilm, creators of the Star Wars saga, used elements of classical mythology and world culture to construct this modern-day tale of good versus evil. The exhibition showcases orginal artwork, props, models, costumes, and characters from all four Star Wars films, including select objects from Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace."

Audio Tour: "James Earl Jones, the voice of Darth Vader, guides you through Star Wars: The Magic of the Myth. Enjoy behind-the-scenes interviews with George Lucas and several of the talented artists who brought his vision to life." price $5

Compainion Exhibit: "During The Magic of Myth, the Museum will also present an exhibition titled The Heroic Tradition: Art and the Mythic Journey. Created by Jeffrey A. Brown of Bowling Green State University's department of popular culture, The Heroic Tradition focuses on objects from the Museum's own collection that depict classical heros on their journey to enlightenment."

Tickets: "Timed tickets for Star Wars: The Magic of Myth are available at the Museum Box Office or by calling (419) 243-7000 or toll free 1-888-763-7486. Tickets may also be ordered online at www.toledomuseum.org. Cost is $10 for adults; $7.50 for seniors, students, and children from 6 through 17. Children 5 and under are admitted free."

Hours: "The Museum is open Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday, 10 a.m - 4 p.m.; Friday 10 a.m. - 10 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.; but closed Mondays and major holidays. The Museum is located at 2445 Monroe Street at Scottwood Avenue, just west of the downtown business district and one block off I-75 with exit designation posted."

19. JediFrankenstein

JediFrankenstein Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2001
    Hey all, JF in Toledo here. Glad to hear all this buzz about the Toledo SW Exhibit. Its going to be great and the TMA is really behind it. I have caught a glimpse of the Probe Droid model and the Darth Maul costume and lightsaber and its all just too cool for mere words. Ya Gotta See It.

Doug Chiang is here this Sunday, the 5th, at 1pm and will be speaking and then autographing.

Steve Sansweet is here on Oct. 7th and then David West Reynolds will be appearing here on Nov.4th.

You guys are the BEST for putting a trip together...make sure you visit our Museum Store while you're here!

Btw, have you got your tickets yet? 419-255-8000!

JF

20. JediFrankenstein

Jul 10, 2001
    This just in: The TMA has added PAUL HUSTON to its list of speakers for their STAR WARS:MAGIC OF MYTH exhibit. Mr. Huston began with ILM as a model maker for A New Hope in '77 and continues with them today as a Digital Matte Artist. He's worked on both Ep.1 and Ep.2 in that capacity. He'll be speaking on Saturday, Sept. 22nd at 1pm.

JF

www.toledomuseum.org

21. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    thanks for the info, I have a question for yeah. Can you take pictures inside the exhibit? Also do you reccomend buying tickets in advance?

22. JediFrankenstein

Jul 10, 2001
    Yes, in fact, unlike the rest of the Museum, picture taking is allowed and encouraged inside the SW Exhibit galleries. If you don't care to bring a camera with you, they'll have them for sale in the Museum Store.

As for advance tickets, they're not needed but I always recommend them. Sometimes it can make it quicker all around to get you right into the Exhibit when you arrive at the Museum. No wasting of time buying your tickets, just instant Star Wars gratification :-}

Hope this all helps.

JF

23. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Thanks, I can finally get to use my new digital camera and put the pics up on our website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.