main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Mags and Websites] Si vs. ESPN

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by PRENNTACULAR, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Which do you prefer, and why?

I notice most people here link to Espn.com, and not SI.com.

Why is that?

Which magazine do you prefer? Why?

Which is simply better?

Discuss.

Sorry, the title was annoying me. :p

2. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    I think we already had a thread like this, but...

My subscription to ESPN ran out about 3 years ago and I didn't bother renewing. Way too much flash and not enough substance, and a little too much attention paid to ESPN personalities. Maybe The Mag has changed since I stopped reading, but those were my thoughts when I didn't renew.

I like ESPN's website better for general info though. It's just organized much better.

And why no love for The Sporting News? They have the best offseason NFL coverage of any of the magazines.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    This topic does seem vaguely familiar...

I don't really care for SI (as in the magazine), and don't like ESPN the Mag that much better (though a little better). I do get ESPN Mag, though, because I wanted the insider articles online.

As for websites, I like both, though ESPN more so (again). I tend to check ESPN.com frequently (often several times a day, though some visits are brief), and SI.com maybe once a day after one of those ESPN.com visits, so unless its something that isnt found on ESPN.com (or hidden and unnoticed, less frequently), links will be to ESPN.com

4. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I check ESPN.com many times a day. I think it destroys SI.com.

I get ESPN the mag for reading on the john and so I have access to the insider articles on their website.

5. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    The only major reason I go to SI.com more than ESPN.com is that I always see articles on ESPN.com that I want to read, but they're always "insider" articles. It seems to me that you get more information from SI.com without paying for anything.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    ESPN.com is much better than SI.com. As a magazine, there's no comparison. SI is vastly superior, and should be.

7. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    I'll agree that ESPN is in many ways superior to SI in the website category. However my dad writes for SI.com... so thats just plain kick ass :p

Anyone hear read Don Banks? He covers NFL for the site.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Your dad is Don Banks?

9. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Yeah, I like ESPN's layout better and stuff (even though most of it is the same info), but I think that SI.com is better for free content.

10. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    I didn't used to mind Insider when it was just used for NFL Draft speculation and general rumors during the season, but when they stared making all of the columnist archives Insider, that sucked.

Don Banks is your father?

11. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    espn.com> si.com

and I don't like either magazine... sports is too day to day to have a weekly or monthly magazine.

12. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    I look like I'm in the minority, but I prefer SI.com. I enjoy reading Peter King, Don Banks and Stewart Mandel the most. I don't really care for much of Dr. Z's stuff though.

I just got sick of ESPN and them constantly trying to be the story and make their own news. They take credit for every broken story and never give credit to others who break stories first. Its always "Len Pasquarelli reports..." or "according to John Clayton..." even though every other web site is reporting it or the NFL network was first to report.

I used to be a huge fan of Bill Simmons too, but he is starting to grow tiring as well. Its always the same thing and he is always the "expert" at everything he writes about. He just started watch college basketball this year and after only 4 games, he was saying that they need to alter the rules. Who are you Sports Guy?

13. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    I agree that SI.com has better NFL columns, but I don't know of anyone who logs on to SI.com when they just want a quick run-down of the day's events.

14. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    yeah but the playoffs are coming up and his best stuff is his basketball stuff.

15. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Sports Illustrated is far superior to ESPN. The writing is simply better, and the writers tend to make more detailed and sophisticated arguments and points. ESPN the mag and ESPN the website are too much like ESPN the television channel, which is one of the most annoying collections of talking heads ever assembled. If it weren't for Pardon The Interruption, I'd never watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.